The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Edmonton 2 vs. Vancouver 3 | Pre-season | Oct. 03, 2015 | 7:00 PM PDT | SNET-P

-Vintage Canuck-

Anybody else lose a little respect for willy after that interview

I knew he was stubborn but he took it to another level, guy needs to give his head a shake

The entire preseason the vets have done nothing and youth breaks out with two excellent games

That team in San Jose should have gotten steam rolled but they kept it close and even proved they could play defensively

Then they showed there offence in the Edmonton game

Willy still gives his speel about how difficult it will be for the kids to make opening night roster

Come on man open your eyes!

I hope McCann proves him wrong tonight because this veteran biased has to stop

In one breath he says pre-season isn't very important, history is, then the next he sys the pre-season has forced him to look at Hutton.

Man it would be good to have two or three Benning/Linden vids stating youth movement, rewards for fighting for jobs, moving vets, opening day line ups and then have WD's vids. Two TOTALLY opposite views.

Vey isn't playing because he is a lock on the team. He worked hard in the summer.

Prospects get a sniff of the NHL so they can see what they need to do to improve, so if the prospect is already out playing most of the team or out scoring at any rate, what's to learn? JV already bangs everyone around and JM has hardly been on the ice for a goal against. Vey has coughed up the puck numerous times, the other two hardly at all. If the pre-season is to fight for a job, then all things being equal, Vey and Sven should be on thin ice.

To me this looks like they're trying to see if there's a way to fit McCann into the lineup, without having him pushed into a fourth line role.

I think ideally they see him as a third line center. But the problem is with Horvat and Sutter ahead of him, that can't happen.

So this experiment putting Sutter in as a winger could solve that.

If this is the case, one of Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, and potentially Vrbata have to go.

I was hoping to see Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen one more time, but Baer and Vrbata have good chemistry, and that's the more likely combination this season.

Sutter with the Sedins opens up a spot for McCann, and Burrows-McCann-Hansen sounds pretty good.

Yes, but points aren't everything. He was noticeably scared to be on the ice at times, IMO. That's unacceptable for a 35 y-o guy. He looked like he couldn't wait for holidays to start.

I don't know, seems out of character. He didn't seem to play that way all season, why turtle when it matters most - unless there is an injury to protect.

I don't get the garbage hype surrounding this guy.. Who gives a crap he plays for Edmonton. I'd rather watch Sestito in a canucks jersey than mcbustvid in an oiler jersey.

GO CANUCKS GO

I hope they crush this loser mcdavid. Look forward to hating on him for the next 20 years.

That is because you are the ultimate homer.

People who love the game, and not just the team want to see McDavid. He is going to be an amazing player to watch.

I'm a Canuck fan until the bitter end.

Id still much rather watch McDavid than Tom Isuckathockey Sestito.

You don't see that he's been giving them every chance to make the team? Even rotation of players from there normal position to give them options to consider moving forward. I think your being far to hard on WD.

Watching the sedins dance around in preseason spinning around and doing blind passes, skating in quick sand I think there going to be lucky to get half the amount of points as last year

Burrows will be lucky to get 10 goals and vrbata will be lucky to get 20 goals

Where is the offence going to come from?

Dorset will take a dip in production not playing with horvat

Hands of stonesan is good for 10

We need McCann's rifle of a shot on the pp

For willy to humb and ha about how different the preseason is ridiculous

He's got his youth blinders on

Everyone can see this team needs an injection of youth except for him

I like WD's willingness to experiment with line combinations. I thought last year he was reluctant to mix lines up, even when games got out of hand. I think WD learned a lot about coaching in the NHL last year, especially what not to do in the playoffs. I hope he can apply what he learned to this season.

I would think that all the experimenting should be over, at least for the top two lines. This last game should be to at least give their top lines ONE freakin game to prepare them for the start of the season. To now introduce Sutter, who has shown nothing in the pre-season, other than a few good shifts last game, to the top line? When Vrbata and Burrows are both healthy? I don't get it either.

I knew they didn't have the guts to go with the BJ & the Baer line. Even though that would accelerate the youth infusion and rebuild into next year. And look for McCann to be sent down even if he gets a hat trick. It was predestined. Benning talks a great game, but in the end, he is the same GM that had offers for Miller, but was too afraid to put out a Lack/Markstrom tandem and so reduced his own budget by millions. Together with Willie (I'm an NHL coach now!...not an AHL coach) Desjardins, and I don't expect much youth infusement, especially when Higgins comes back.

It's simple. They couldn't find wingers for Sutter but they already traded for him. Can't bench a player with a contract like that. They also can't play Vrbata or Burrows with the twins for depth reasons. So I guess it's at least worth a try. I wouldn't have come up with it and after all, I'm surprised they did. But actually, as I mentioned before, it could open up a spot for McCann and that probably was the 2nd thing they're trying to achieve. Finding a way to give McCann his center spot and finding a winger for the twins were what they had to do and maybe just did.

WD's recent words about Virtanen on Horvat's line to me indicate that I was also right on him. Probably would have to play exceptionally well tonight to be able to stay.

And you would worship him if he was wearing a canucks sweater. You can respect players on other teams as well as your own.

Off course I'd worship anyone playing for the world's most prolific sporting franchise; the Vancouver Canucks.

If you don't play for us - I could care less. I'm not gonna crown a player that doesn't play for us.

I hope Virtanen destroys McDavid tonight HAHAHAH

He probably won't be a bust though.

Yea I just thought mcbustvid was a funny name though so I'll be throwing it around hahaha.

Nucks > everything > coilers

That is because you are the ultimate homer.

People who love the game, and not just the team want to see McDavid. He is going to be an amazing player to watch.

I'm a Canuck fan until the bitter end.

Id still much rather watch McDavid than Tom Isuckathockey Sestito.

I love the game more than anyone but nothing comes ahead of the Vancouver Canucks best interest. Winning games. I watch countless non canucks Games and enjoy the game and talent... But as for watching mcdavid or some other non canucks vs my team, I wish them nothing but the worst and hope they get absolutely clobbered by us.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Watching the sedins dance around in preseason spinning around and doing blind passes, skating in quick sand I think there going to be lucky to get half the amount of points as last year

Burrows will be lucky to get 10 goals and vrbata will be lucky to get 20 goals

Where is the offence going to come from?

Dorset will take a dip in production not playing with horvat

Hands of stonesan is good for 10

We need McCann's rifle of a shot on the pp

For willy to humb and ha about how different the preseason is ridiculous

He's got his youth blinders on

Everyone can see this team needs an injection of youth except for him

Uhhh, you're not very optimistic :lol:

For the Sedins, this was just another pre season. They're over the top, but don't worry about them. They'll have another strong season. They say it themselves...they're ready for a few more years. If Sutter can play the wing I'm in fact very optimistic. Could be the winger they were looking for. If they keep the 2nd and 3rd line like tonight, that would also be great. Baertschi and Vrbata showed great chemistry everytime they played last season and in this preseason and I'm confident that with his two way game and goal scoring ability, Horvat is the right center for them. Burrows, McCann and Hansen is also interesting. Could be a great shutdownline who could face some tough opposition for the Horvat and Sedin lines. Once we get Higgins back, our offensive corps will be even deeper.

Not saying that we'll make the playoff, but if the Sutter experiment works and if things go our way, we'll at least be able to compete.

Same and vrbata has been frustrated about not knowing his line haha

Playoff kitten Purrbata needs to pipe down and play where he's told.

EXCITED!!!!! McCann getting a good look on the third line tonight. Playing with NHL talent and speed. Hope for a sound game from McCann, looking dangerous on offence hopefully gets a point or 2 while playing great defensively..

Yes, this is much better for him -- two fast, gritty, and good forechecking wingers. Interesting, the past 2-3 lineups have all had that element of "trying to fit McCann in", whether where he plays or where others (e.g. Sutter) are exited out of where they want him to play. Seems they really want him on the roster.

I don't get the garbage hype surrounding this guy.. Who gives a crap he plays for Edmonton. I'd rather watch Sestito in a canucks jersey than mcbustvid in an oiler jersey.

GO CANUCKS GO

I hope they crush this loser mcdavid. Look forward to hating on him for the next 20 years.

lol, welcome back, Apollo.

Hey, what's your thoughts on Sutter with the Sedins? Warming up to him yet?

Archived