The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Edmonton 2 vs. Vancouver 3 | Pre-season | Oct. 03, 2015 | 7:00 PM PDT | SNET-P

-Vintage Canuck-

If it works and they are able to keep McCaan, i doubt anyone complains. Twins get a solid winger and a guy who can take draws on the right side, Sutter gets to play with world class offensive talent, fans get a big youth infusion. Seems like a win-win.

It's, at least, worth a shot.

OK I got it. I hadn't considered that this might allow all the center's to move up in the lineup, allowing McCann to center the third line.

I like it.

I think H.Sedin should be put on the wing and have sutter at C

Position only matters in the defensive zone and we'll likely see a 'first one back between hank and Sutter takes the c-role" kind of scenario. Its an interesting move, for sure.

I dont have a problem with shuffling the lines at all..thats what pre season is for..How versatile is your squad..?....Looking forward to the Sven-Bo-Vrby combination (will Sven have a strong back to back game..or will he be anonymous..?).

I'm very surprised that Darnell Nurse isn't in the lineup for the Oilers..?...I would have thought,given his pedigree and hype,that he would have been close to making one of the worst D's in the NHL...not to be.

Anybody else lose a little respect for willy after that interview

I knew he was stubborn but he took it to another level, guy needs to give his head a shake

The entire preseason the vets have done nothing and youth breaks out with two excellent games

That team in San Jose should have gotten steam rolled but they kept it close and even proved they could play defensively

Then they showed there offence in the Edmonton game

Willy still gives his speel about how difficult it will be for the kids to make opening night roster

Come on man open your eyes!

I hope McCann proves him wrong tonight because this veteran biased has to stop

For some reason fans assume that pre-season games prove that a prospect can handle an 82 game grind. If we jettison older players to make room for young players we expose them to injury and loss of confidence. Not only that but injuries are almost guaranteed to happen. Without veteran players in the lineup and all of our NHL "ready" prospects in the lineup, we would have to callup even less NHL ready prospects to fill those roles. The end result could be even more injuries and loss of confidence. It wouldn't take many injuries for things to snowball the wrong way. Like it or not, we need veterans to buffer the transition of younger players.

I think H.Sedin should be put on the wing and have sutter at C

Move one of the best palymakers in the league to the wing? Really?

I said before they should try Sutter at wing. His skill set makes him a better winger than a center IMO.

He's got that breakaway speed too, so if the Sedins spot him open in the neutral zone they can send him in alone.

Virtanen has a great game after being benched and gets demoted to the 4th line with a bunch of plugs. Go figure.

I see that as an indication he's likely made it to reg season action, and he's also likely to start on the 4th line. Like Bo, he's going to have to work hhis way to more icetime......the wsy it shoukd be.

I thought Vrbata was playing injured in the playoffs. And didn't he have the most points on the team?

Didnt he get 4 pts in the 6 game series? I didnt like how he shyed away from the rough stuff, but he hardly disappeared.......no more than anyone else did.

Yes, but points aren't everything. He was noticeably scared to be on the ice at times, IMO. That's unacceptable for a 35 y-o guy. He looked like he couldn't wait for holidays to start.

I thought they expiremented with the Sedins - Suttter combo in eariler training camp. I think it was mostly in practice though. The thing I was assumed with in Willies press conference was how he said both McCann and Vey have had good camps. I think thats a little silly of a statement.

All things considered though all in all. It looks like JB might actually live up to letting youngsters into the lineup. I just really would like some fair treatment towards Vey. Maybe its a talking point to help convince another team out east to take his contract but I dont know. Vey would do far better out east maybe on a team like Buffalo.

Time will tell!

Maybe it was to boost his confidence but I think even Vey knows hes played poorly. Dont think that comment will do much more then to annoy fans lol.

Position only matters in the defensive zone and we'll likely see a 'first one back between hank and Sutter takes the c-role" kind of scenario. Its an interesting move, for sure.

I beg to differ. There are gap control and back pressure responsibilities for centres, I thought. Plus regrouping responsibilities in the neutral zone too. I get the d zone - below the hash marks you're talking about, but I think there are differences in all three zones?

To me this looks like they're trying to see if there's a way to fit McCann into the lineup, without having him pushed into a fourth line role.

I think ideally they see him as a third line center. But the problem is with Horvat and Sutter ahead of him, that can't happen.

So this experiment putting Sutter in as a winger could solve that.

I beg to differ. There are gap control and back pressure responsibilities for centres, I thought. Plus regrouping responsibilities in the neutral zone too. I get the d zone - below the hash marks you're talking about, but I think there are differences in all three zones?

Gap control and back pressure? Not quite sure what you mean there.

What's with the disrespect against Willie and Vrbata? Not like people on CDC haven't acted like this before, but come on you guys really think all the stuff that you guys believe are true? Vey is scratched this game, people should be glad already.

To me this looks like they're trying to see if there's a way to fit McCann into the lineup.

I think ideally they see him as a third line center. But the problem is with Horvat and Sutter ahead of him, that can't happen.

So this experiment putting Sutter in as a winger could solve that.

Yup........love to be a fly on the wall for the decision convos between wd and jb. Bet theres some heated words, with tl mediating.

Archived