The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Edmonton 2 vs. Vancouver 3 | Pre-season | Oct. 03, 2015 | 7:00 PM PDT | SNET-P

-Vintage Canuck-

Somebody smarter than me projected trying Sutter as a winger to make room for McCann. I poo poo'd it. Whoops! :huh:

Looks like its an experiment in the very least anyway.

There were quite a few that poo poo'd it but as you point out it does make some sense.

I have no idea if it will work, but do think they should try it.

The problem is that their foundational new center hasn't otherwise established any chemistry with other potential linemates. There's been very little offence while he's out there and what I've noticed has been largely individual.

They have a large investment in him. The twins have played with many linemates through the years. Sutter has size, he can skate, he can put pucks in the net. What he isn't very good at as a centre is being a playmaker.

The Sedins aren't don't have much need for another playmaker on their line.

This could work. If so, it's great, because otherwise it's hard to fit Sutter in the linemate and get value out of him, short of trying him with linemates again and hoping it works better the second or third time.

It might not work. It's worth a try. If it doesn't work, at least in this game you've got Vrbata getting some time with his anticipated beginning of the season linemates and Burrows and the twins have played enough that they should be able to quickly get rid of the rust and play as they have for years.

I hope McCann doesn't get stuck playing with our 4th line plugs. Would be terrible for his development

Yeah, when has starting as a 4th line center ever worked for a talented 2 way center for the Canucks!

I'm shocked Vey isn't playing. That must mean they've decided he's not getting waived or he'd have one last chance to show it I would think.

I think it does not bode well for Vey. I do not think he has proven himself, nor ranks ahead of the rookies.

Sutter is a shoot first guy that goes to the net. If we ice a glut of centers I see nothing wrong with putting him with the twins. Never bad to have two faceoff guys on line one either if you can spead then around. Keeps line two wide open for BoHo

What's not to like?

I would be shocked at this point if either Virtanen or McCann is sent down to the minors before December / World Juniors. It would be dangerous to send either of them down knowing you can't recall them, because as we know, injuries tend to strike at the worst possible times.

Logic dictates that not every player, even a roster player, needs to play every game. In my opinion, I look at it like this.

2 LW spots = Higgins, Baertschi, Prust

2 C spots = McCann, Cracknell, Vey

2 RW spots = Virtnanen, Dorsett, Hansen

Even though Hansen, Dorsett, Higgins and Prust are "roster players" it doesn't mean they need to play 82 games (or are entitled to). They can play 70-75 games and let the young guys get some games. It doesn't take much. I don't think Prust or Dorsett or Hansen or Higgins should be upset at being benched here and there until the dust settles. If anything, it gives them motivation. When was the last time a guy like Hansen got benched??? 2002 when he was 15 years old? Give these guys some motivation to fight for their spots. Look how exciting Thursday's game was because of motivation.

I think it does not bode well for Vey. I do not think he has proven himself, nor ranks ahead of the rookies.

to me it means they know what to expect from vey(ie. same as last year, no improvement) and they are giving sutter a try on the sedin line to see if they can get lucky there which will open up the 3C spot for McCann if he can prove well tonight.

I would be shocked at this point if either Virtanen or McCann is sent down to the minors before December / World Juniors. It would be dangerous to send either of them down knowing you can't recall them, because as we know, injuries tend to strike at the worst possible times.

Logic dictates that not every player, even a roster player, needs to play every game. In my opinion, I look at it like this.

2 LW spots = Higgins, Baertschi, Prust

2 C spots = McCann, Cracknell, Vey

2 RW spots = Virtnanen, Dorsett, Hansen

Even though Hansen, Dorsett, Higgins and Prust are "roster players" it doesn't mean they need to play 82 games (or are entitled to). They can play 70-75 games and let the young guys get some games. It doesn't take much. I don't think Prust or Dorsett or Hansen or Higgins should be upset at being benched here and there until the dust settles. If anything, it gives them motivation. When was the last time a guy like Hansen got benched??? 2002 when he was 15 years old? Give these guys some motivation to fight for their spots. Look how exciting Thursday's game was because of motivation.

I think that tonight, they're deciding between Cracknell and McCann and judging by Willies responses, they're leaning towards Cracknell.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't go with Sedin, Horvat and Sutter as their top 3 centres.

The rest of what you're saying, I agree with.

Archived