The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Edmonton 2 vs. Vancouver 3 | Pre-season | Oct. 03, 2015 | 7:00 PM PDT | SNET-P

-Vintage Canuck-

I think Sutter might actually be a good fit there. A north-south player, good forechecker, good hands, good iq, defensively responsible.

I don't get Uncle Willie sometimes. I understand experimenting with lines in pre-season, but IMO that should be with players who are playing in their natural positions. Sutter hasn't played the wing since half a season in junior and Benning didn't sign him to a $20MM deal to play him in a position he hasn't played in 10 years.

I think Sutter might actually be a good fit there. A north-south player, good forechecker, good hands, good iq, defensively responsible.

Yeah I'd never really considered it, assuming he'd be playing C but it actually makes a decent amount of sense. I actually quite like that lineup!

Excited to watch the game tonight and see how they do!

Same and vrbata has been frustrated about not knowing his line haha

Bold prediction: Vrbata is going to be nothing more than an afterthought by Christmas. Well, at least here's to hoping he is. Have not liked Vrbata since his disappearing act in the playoffs last April. It will be a happy day for me when Vrbata is traded for a decent draft pick.

I don't get Uncle Willie sometimes. I understand experimenting with lines in pre-season, but IMO that should be with players who are playing in their natural positions. Sutter hasn't played the wing since half a season in junior and Benning didn't sign him to a $20MM deal to play him in a position he hasn't played in 10 years.

I agree. If the goal was to find the Sedins a new linemate, Sutter was a weird choice.

Whoever they are going to have with the Sedins opening night, just have that player on their line now....Burrows or Vrbata let them get their timing together.

Putting Sutter with the twins for the last pre-season game is a curious move. My first thought is they're thinking about clearing a spot for McCann to fit in the roster/lineup, but that seems far too simple to be possible. Doesn't it?

It does seem too simple, Jack but if Sutter somehow worked with the twins, it creates numerous openings and options for Willie that will allow him to retain vets and introduce more youth.

I am interested to see how Sutter reacts to the opportunity.

Damn, still experimenting in the last game. I hoped they would have something concrete by now. It's McCann vs. Cracknell, seems they're giving him a real look.

As much as I love Canner, give the spot to Cracknell. Dont want McCann to be stuck with two plugs like Prust or Dorsett. I mean, they're great, but have no offensive ability.

If McCann stays, 3C is best. Sutter to wing or 4C.

Bold prediction: Vrbata is going to be nothing more than an afterthought by Christmas. Well, at least here's to hoping he is. Have not liked Vrbata since his disappearing act in the playoffs last April. It will be a happy day for me when Vrbata is traded for a decent draft pick.

I agree, the el-foldo act by Vrbata was disgusting. Something happened between the Sedins and Vrbata in that series. Gentlemanly as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the twins confronted him on his lack of performance and didn't like what they heard coming back.

As much as I love Canner, give the spot to Cracknell. Dont want McCann to be stuck with two plugs like Prust or Dorsett. I mean, they're great, but have no offensive ability.

If McCann stays, 3C is best. Sutter to wing or 4C.

Regardless of how well McCann performed in pre-season, it was never going to work if 4C was the only spot available for him. The fact they are even willing to accommodate him for the last game tonight shows how impressed the brass are by him. For Jared it's a very healthy sign, regardless of what the final determination of him is.

Anybody else lose a little respect for willy after that interview

I knew he was stubborn but he took it to another level, guy needs to give his head a shake

The entire preseason the vets have done nothing and youth breaks out with two excellent games

That team in San Jose should have gotten steam rolled but they kept it close and even proved they could play defensively

Then they showed there offence in the Edmonton game

Willy still gives his speel about how difficult it will be for the kids to make opening night roster

Come on man open your eyes!

I hope McCann proves him wrong tonight because this veteran biased has to stop

If it works and they are able to keep McCaan, i doubt anyone complains. Twins get a solid winger and a guy who can take draws on the right side, Sutter gets to play with world class offensive talent, fans get a big youth infusion. Seems like a win-win.

It's, at least, worth a shot.

I agree, the el-foldo act by Vrbata was disgusting. Something happened between the Sedins and Vrbata in that series. Gentlemanly as they are, I wouldn't be surprised if the twins confronted him on his lack of performance and didn't like what they heard coming back.

I thought Vrbata was playing injured in the playoffs. And didn't he have the most points on the team?

Putting Sutter with the twins for the last pre-season game is a curious move. My first thought is they're thinking about clearing a spot for McCann to fit in the roster/lineup, but that seems far too simple to be possible. Doesn't it?

I would think that all the experimenting should be over, at least for the top two lines. This last game should be to at least give their top lines ONE freakin game to prepare them for the start of the season. To now introduce Sutter, who has shown nothing in the pre-season, other than a few good shifts last game, to the top line? When Vrbata and Burrows are both healthy? I don't get it either.

I knew they didn't have the guts to go with the BJ & the Baer line. Even though that would accelerate the youth infusion and rebuild into next year. And look for McCann to be sent down even if he gets a hat trick. It was predestined. Benning talks a great game, but in the end, he is the same GM that had offers for Miller, but was too afraid to put out a Lack/Markstrom tandem and so reduced his own budget by millions. Together with Willie (I'm an NHL coach now!...not an AHL coach) Desjardins, and I don't expect much youth infusement, especially when Higgins comes back.

That just doesn't seem like something the twins would ever do.

But it really wasn't as surprise that he went MIA last playoff. Remember, it was quite well know going into the playoffs that Vrby has pulled the playoff disappearing act many times before. In 42 NHL playoff games he has 8 goals and 10 assists (including last year).

Didnt he get 4 pts in the 6 game series? I didnt like how he shyed away from the rough stuff, but he hardly disappeared.......no more than anyone else did.

Anybody else lose a little respect for willy after that interview

I knew he was stubborn but he took it to another level, guy needs to give his head a shake

The entire preseason the vets have done nothing and youth breaks out with two excellent games

That team in San Jose should have gotten steam rolled but they kept it close and even proved they could play defensively

Then they showed there offence in the Edmonton game

Willy still gives his speel about how difficult it will be for the kids to make opening night roster

Come on man open your eyes!

I hope McCann proves him wrong tonight because this veteran biased has to stop

You don't see that he's been giving them every chance to make the team? Even rotation of players from there normal position to give them options to consider moving forward. I think your being far to hard on WD.

Archived