The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations for Sbisa?

Sixteen W's

I'm confused as to what type of Dman Sbisa is suppose to be? Is he suppose to be a:

-Puck moving Dman?

-Stay at home Dman?

-Physical Dman?

I'm seeing him trying to be all of the above when he plays and failing miserably at it! The coaching staff need to define what type of Dman Sbisa is suppose to be and have him stick to it!

Strong game for Luca in Anaheim tonight.

Agreed.

I watched Sbisa very closely tonight. Decided to keep a count of his "good plays" versus "bad plays" (a "good play" was was anything that either directly contributed to a scoring chance or directly thwarted a potential opposition scoring chance and vice versa for "bad plays").

By my count, Sbisa was a plus-6 for the night (on his good plays minus bad plays tally).

I haven't tracked players this way before but I might do it again because it really made me appreciate the things Sbisa does well.

I really noticed him deflecting shots and generally getting his stick on pucks to disrupt plays in the defensive zone. He also made some solid breakout passes and showed a good ability to get the puck up to forwards with speed to create odd man rush opportunities.

Solid game.

EDIT: typos

I'm not a fan... Bad give away, missed the net on a great opportunity early, and just looks bad out there.

If all you look for are the bad plays from a particular player that's all you'll see. There were several missed the net on great opportunities, even the mighty Hamhuis. But Hammer is loved so he gets a pass on his bad plays.

these threads just prove time and time again why fans don't run NHL teams

you don't make decisions that change your roster after 2 games

and last year Sbisa was a physical d-man for the Canucks i expect him to do the same

Awful defensively, non existent offensively, bad decision maker physically. Watching him play slowly kills my will to live. Hopefully he settles down as he gets use to playing with Hutton.

I think I agree with TheRick... at times I see Sbisa try and do everything, but he's not NHL quality at anything yet (although he's looking like a better bottom pairing defenseman, at his salary he needs to show top 4 quality).

Sbisa needs to pick a style and stick to it, and the Canucks need to provide him with a partner that complements him. Asking a guy who is already struggling to do everything is silly -- get him good at something first.

My expectations for Sbisa this year: be a zero +/- player. Last year he was a major liability, but so was Edler the year before under Torts. Sbisa is looking improved this year, and I hope he can carry that over the 82 game season as a zero +/- player. Also not coughing up 3rd period turnovers that lead to key game tying / game winning goals would be nice.

Sbisa and Weber are our worst d-men. The only reason Sbisa is in the line up is because he brings some physicality. Even the goal yesterday was because he got out muscled /out positioned along the boards by Cogliano. The fact that our rookie is carrying that tandem is worrisome.

I would have liked to even see a Corrado Hutton pairing with limited minutes.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Barthowski

Corrado Hutton

I bet we would have seen at most the same amount of turnovers from that 3rd pairing as we currently have now.

If all you look for are the bad plays from a particular player that's all you'll see. There were several missed the net on great opportunities, even the mighty Hamhuis. But Hammer is loved so he gets a pass on his bad plays.

Oh no doubt. I am tainted to overlook anything good done by Sbisa's play. Which is not a good Canuck fan move, but I'll at least admit and seek treatment for my condition. Till then... Boooo!

Just a little dose of objecive outcomes for you blind haters - and the odd stats manipulators who've tried to make Sbisa out to be one of the league's worst defensmen.

After 3 games:

26.1% offensive zone starts

3rd strongest quality of competition on the blueline.

+20.5 relative corsi.

1 giveaway in 3 games (virtually every D in the NHL playing 18 minutes a night is going to give the puck away at that rate, or more)

Absolutely outstanding.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

The only guy on the team that can boast anywhere near those kind of underlying numbers is Chris Tanev.

And this has come against Calgary and Anaheim - two teams that most haters would fear to 'expose' Sbisa.

Sbisa was outstanding shorthanded in OT last night - has been rock solid thus far. If you're unable to see that, you don't know shat about hockey.

Agreed.

I watched Sbisa very closely tonight. Decided to keep a count of his "good plays" versus "bad plays" (a "good play" was was anything that either directly contributed to a scoring chance or directly thwarted a potential opposition scoring chance and vice versa for "bad plays").

By my count, Sbisa was a plus-6 for the night (on his good plays minus bad plays tally).

I haven't tracked players this way before but I might do it again because it really made me appreciate the things Sbisa does well.

I really noticed him deflecting shots and generally getting his stick on pucks to disrupt plays in the defensive zone. He also made some solid breakout passes and showed a good ability to get the puck up to forwards with speed to create odd man rush opportunities.

Solid game.

EDIT: typos

Nice work Sid - and the underlying numbers entirely support your observations.

Just a little dose of objecive outcomes for you blind haters - and the odd stats manipulators who've tried to make Sbisa out to be one of the league's worst defensmen.

After 3 games:

26.1% offensive zone starts

3rd strongest quality of competition on the blueline.

+20.5 relative corsi.

1 giveaway in 3 games (virtually every D in the NHL playing 18 minutes a night is going to give the puck away at that rate, or more)

Absolutely outstanding.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

The only guy on the team that can boast anywhere near those kind of underlying numbers is Chris Tanev.

And this has come against Calgary and Anaheim - two teams that most haters would fear to 'expose' Sbisa.

Sbisa has been rock solid thus far. If you're unable to see that, you don't know shat about hockey.

^This so many clueless Sbisa haters.

Despite having some mental farts in the past 3 games, I thought he rose to the occasion on the 5 on 3 PK with Edler in the box. He was active physically and was more aware of the play.

I want to see that Sbisa...the guy who can show urgency and make good plays in his own zone, while still being a physical piece of nasty.

Despite having some mental farts in the past 3 games, I thought he rose to the occasion on the 5 on 3 PK with Edler in the box. He was active physically and was more aware of the play.

I want to see that Sbisa...the guy who can show urgency and make good plays in his own zone, while still being a physical piece of nasty.

To be fair that brain cramp against calgary that led to the goal was because the team hung him out to dry and gave him no outlet pass. His only other option was to ring it behind the net but ther was a pinching Flame with position along the boards too.

Archived