The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations for Sbisa?

Sixteen W's

Awful defensively, non existent offensively, bad decision maker physically. Watching him play slowly kills my will to live. Hopefully he settles down as he gets use to playing with Hutton.

Kills your will to live? Seriously?

Maybe you need to step away from the keyboard before you post something ridiculous......ooops, too late.

Played very well tonight. Great on the PK. When he keeps his game simple he plays a very sound defensive game.

Coach needs to recognize it and preach this to Sbisa often. Play simple and he will be solid

Agreed. A very good quiet game. He needs to let the game come to him and make faster decisions in his own end. He has all the tools for sure. Best game of the year thus far for him, though he was good last night as well.

Lead the team in hits (3) and blocks (4) tonight, and couple of those hits were plain vicious.

The speed and physical game were always there, but his confidence in his reads and puck moving has been improving steadily since the start of last season.

He continues to play like this and only an idiot would complain about his contract.

I'm not a fan... Bad give away, missed the net on a great opportunity early, and just looks bad out there.

Yes because he's the only one in the team giving out bad giveaways, fluffing shots and opportunities and generally not playing up to your standard.

As the poster above says, thank goodness people like you are not running the Canucks because we wouldn't have a single player left on the roster.

Just a little dose of objecive outcomes for you blind haters - and the odd stats manipulators who've tried to make Sbisa out to be one of the league's worst defensmen.

After 3 games:

26.1% offensive zone starts

3rd strongest quality of competition on the blueline.

+20.5 relative corsi.

1 giveaway in 3 games (virtually every D in the NHL playing 18 minutes a night is going to give the puck away at that rate, or more)

Absolutely outstanding.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?ds=30&s=29&f1=2015_s&f2=5v5&f5=VAN&c=0+1+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

The only guy on the team that can boast anywhere near those kind of underlying numbers is Chris Tanev.

And this has come against Calgary and Anaheim - two teams that most haters would fear to 'expose' Sbisa.

Sbisa was outstanding shorthanded in OT last night - has been rock solid thus far. If you're unable to see that, you don't know shat about hockey.

Really enjoy it when you come along and educate some of these Canuck fans with tunnel vision. Sbisa has clearly improved his game, but still we get the broken record Sbiza jokes. +1 for the effort ON.

I think I agree with TheRick... at times I see Sbisa try and do everything, but he's not NHL quality at anything yet (although he's looking like a better bottom pairing defenseman, at his salary he needs to show top 4 quality).

Sbisa needs to pick a style and stick to it, and the Canucks need to provide him with a partner that complements him. Asking a guy who is already struggling to do everything is silly -- get him good at something first.

My expectations for Sbisa this year: be a zero +/- player. Last year he was a major liability, but so was Edler the year before under Torts. Sbisa is looking improved this year, and I hope he can carry that over the 82 game season as a zero +/- player. Also not coughing up 3rd period turnovers that lead to key game tying / game winning goals would be nice.

TheRick unfortunately is afflicted with "box-itus" He must have every player put in a clearly labelled box and god help that player if he dares to do anything which might help the team but is not covered by the label description.

Sibisa is a high draft pick player. A guy so talented he played 47 NHL games in his draft year making him then 3 years younger than Hutton is now.

He has the speed, physique, IQ and skating ability to play the game as situations demand. If you and TheRich can't cope with that you are in for a lot of disappointments.

Watching how heavy a game he plays - he rocked a few Kings last night, Lucic one of them - it's surprising the amount of punch he gets out of 198lbs. Plays like he's 220, but has the mobility of a smaller guy. Quite excited to see how good this young could become, particularly with the complementary type partners he's had. He's been a good stabilizing partner for Hutton when they'be been paired together.

On a side note - loved seeing Virtanen rock Poughty last night. Between Luca, Jake and the 4th line, this team handled LA's heavy game exceptionally well imo.

Played really well vs LA. Made reliable plays, and was playing heavy. Can't remember which LA defender it was (Martinez maybe?) but Sbsia pinched up and pretty much smashed that guy

Sbisa flattened Clifford at the blueline, that's why he took that stupid run at Dorsett.

^^Whenever I see that deer eating popcorn I burst out laughing. Too funny!

I'm quite fond of it, myself.

Archived