The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Expectations for Sbisa?

Sixteen W's

some good points both sides....

Sbsia needs to make decisions quicker and keep his choices simpler one or the other...and speed up his decision making

the give away for a goal ....if he chipped it off the board as soon as he retrieved it....it would been a good play.....

a) he had a forechecker he knew was on him...he hesitated thought of turning left(pass or skate). .thought better(good plan)

chips it off boards...okay plan but the whole process was way too long taking ....by then the second forward was intercepting the weak clearing attempt

hes a smart player but his decision making in the heat of moment is to slow to do anything but slow his game down in a fast paced game

Good reference point another very smart player Hutton....difference is Hutton can digest and process all these thoughts quickly and make the play quickly

so they may be equal in smart IQ but processing is night and day...so sbisa needs to make it simple to survive and thereby less errors

some good points both sides....

Sbsia needs to make decisions quicker and keep his choices simpler one or the other...and speed up his decision making

the give away for a goal ....if he chipped it off the board as soon as he retrieved it....it would been a good play.....

a) he had a forechecker he knew was on him...he hesitated thought of turning left(pass or skate). .thought better(good plan)

chips it off boards...okay plan but the whole process was way too long taking ....by then the second forward was intercepting the weak clearing attempt

hes a smart player but his decision making in the heat of moment is to slow to do anything but slow his game down in a fast paced game

Good reference point another very smart player Hutton....difference is Hutton can digest and process all these thoughts quickly and make the play quickly

so they may be equal in smart IQ but processing is night and day...so sbisa needs to make it simple to survive and thereby less errors

Early - Easy. That should be his motto.

Sbisa's biggest issues are getting pinched along the sidewalls, making blind passes, and poor coverage in his own end. If he can shore up those issues (being three of the foundational points of being a defenseman in the NHL) he should be just fine.

His hits and skating speed are great though.

Main thing for Sbisa is confidence.

Sbisa's biggest issues are getting pinched along the sidewalls, making blind passes, and poor coverage in his own end. If he can shore up those issues (being three of the foundational points of being a defenseman in the NHL) he should be just fine.

His hits and skating speed are great though.

Main thing for Sbisa is confidence.

He takes contact well too.

I would rather have Biega than Sbisa. Usually players who show some potential may reach it....in Sbisa's case he has never shown any potential in the NHL other than his first round pedigree.

I like Biega too. Did he need waivers to go to Utica? If so, I'm surprised he didn't get claimed and Corrado did. He's a better player than Corrado. IMHO

Here's what happend on that goal that no one is mentioning. Hutton made a really bad flat-footed pinch. That led to Sbisa picking the puck up in a bad position where he had no outlet passes and was outnumberd by Calagary's top line. His only options were low percentage plays.

As I recall he was in good shape to make an easy play, but then hesitated and turned back or something, then got in trouble. Could see it coming and sure enough...

Pretty good at throwing the body, but sometimes his timing is off (like Kassian) and he takes himself out of the play.

Newest? Where have you been for the last year? Sbisa has been the whipping boy since he arrived and people put unrealistic expectations on him because he came in the trade for Kesler.

Come on bro, he's one of the the few scapegoats we've had recently who's actually earned his criticism.

As for my expectations, 2 or less brain farts per game should be a manageable improvement.

Sbisa isn't as bad as some say he is. Sure he makes dumb plays,and it costs us goals many times. But there's a good side to him along with the bad side, just like everyone else. Our defence overall has a lot of turnovers and not just one guy. So to completely write off Sbisa as the worst dman of all time is a bit not good since he's still young and can improve.

Hutton impressed me a lot in his debut. He was calm, collected and the forecheck didn't intimidate him. He skated the puck out the zone when needed which is treat to watch since i have forgotten that defence can skate the puck off the zone as well. Credit to Bart for that as well. But my only concern is can he sustain a game like that and swim with the big sharks (not the team, the mammal) of this league? Hopefully he can cuz he was a sweet surprise in the preseason.

As usual the idiots and media clowns only look for the negative in players they've turned on. They ignore any bad plays on players they love. As was pointed put by fans who actually know their hockey, Sbisa's play was a result of a bad play by Hutton. Everyone loves Hutton, so don't mention that right!! They are both young for d-men, so the odd mistake is to be expected.

I expect Sbisa to grow as a player and become more reliable as time goes on. The idiotic morons expect him to be exactly the same forever. Not surprising on CDC or in our local media!

My expectations for Luca?

4 goals with 12 assists, +4, and will work himself onto the 2nd unit pp

All I want the guy to do is support Hutton by moving his feet, and taking the majority of forecheckers contact. He should focus on being a rock solid defensive guy, who takes the pounding, so Hutton can explore the offensive game. He could be a Dana Murzyn type player, who skates a lot better.

Interesting question:-

of the 11 players who were minus in the +/- column last season, only 3 made opening night roster (Hansen, Horvvat and Sbisa); The last few weeks this board has been all over Hansen (until his opening night goal) who was -6, and Sbisa, who was -8,

Bo also was -8, yet he's the superstar. Why the free pass?

Interesting question:-

of the 11 players who were minus in the +/- column last season, only 3 made opening night roster (Hansen, Horvvat and Sbisa); The last few weeks this board has been all over Hansen (until his opening night goal) who was -6, and Sbisa, who was -8,

Bo also was -8, yet he's the superstar. Why the free pass?

That's a really good question. I will be interested to read poster answers. For myself, I think Hansen and Bo were often put out to check for one, and had the weakest d pairing for two.

For a rookie 1st season Bo acquitted himself rather well.Bo didn't get a sniff of powerplay time and took important faceoff's as the season progressed and in the playoffs, Hansen comes and goes (esp after his shoulder injury) but doesn't really hit anymore so he should finish on some of those breakaways and focus on scoring and forechecking this year.

I think this year Bo scores more with Vrbata plus he's not on the 4th line anymore.

That's a really good question. I will be interested to read poster answers. For myself, I think Hansen and Bo were often put out to check for one, and had the weakest d pairing for two.

Much like Luongo was a couple of years ago, Sbisa is the new scapegoat. Anything goes wrong blame it on one player.

Archived