The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Boston shopping Chara + Marchand

I didn't read that as so certain as it's suggested here when I was going through 30 thoughts this week:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermath-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/

6. Comcast Sportsnet’s Joe Haggerty added some spice to holiday Monday meals with a report that the Boston Bruins could begin shopping Zdeno Chara and/or Brad Marchand should things not improve. Part of me wonders if this is an attempt to light a fire under the players. Marchand, out with a concussion, has a modified no-trade clause, with one year remaining. Chara has two more seasons to go, and a full no-move. I could never pin it down, but I do think at least one team asked about him last season, only to be rebuffed. I have zero evidence Boston’s ever asked him to consider it, and don’t believe it’s occurred. Anyone can get traded, but, as the team turns over its roster to younger players, is it wise to move out someone who sets a great example by taking such care of himself?

lol sweeney is a worse gm than nonis. Players you build around are hamilton, lucic not aging dmen like chara or pukes like marchant.

Bostons worst mistake was trading seguin for a over the hill vet bad move

which veteran is that ? The players they got in the trade have worked out well for them and it was clear having Seguin on the team was an issue.

lol sweeney is a worse gm than nonis. Players you build around are hamilton, lucic not aging dmen like chara or pukes like marchant.

Bostons worst mistake was trading seguin for a over the hill vet bad move

Not really the best example, considering he kind of had to trade Seguin.

Now the Kessel trade was their biggest mistake, for me. After all these years, and what they received for Kessel, all they have to show for it is one-hit-wonder Rask.

Boston would have to retain a bunch of Chara's contract. No one is going to want a 7 mil defenseman who is prone to injury, and barely produces half of what he use to point-wise. Definitley on his last legs, not worth the trouble at this point in his career.

That is what is wrong with player salaries.

Should be pay for performance - not what you did 2 years ago.

Not really the best example, considering he kind of had to trade Seguin.

Now the Kessel trade was their biggest mistake, for me. After all these years, and what they received for Kessel, all they have to show for it is one-hit-wonder Rask.

They traded Andrew Raycroft for Rask, he wasn't part of the Kessel trade.

Apparently Hamilton had attitude issues, but that's hardly telling when the B's locker-room was so divided last year. Sweeny's mistake was not just trading this guy, but getting a horrible return as well. Hamilton's going to be a great D for Calgary for years. Sweeny's easily one of the worst GM's I've ever seen. When Benning made unpopular moves, at least they made sense. Sweeny's just don't make sense at all.

Everything I read after that trade was to the contrary. Hamilton was a good teammate.

Boston was still in a good spot too last year. The east had 11 playoff teams, but their were only 8 spots, Boston got the short end of the stick, kinda like L.A of the West, and now its a full out rebuild? unreal, wouldn't mind Chara at a reduced price.

Get her done Benning, it be hilarious if he played for us, then bring in Lucic, then have a Bruins Canucks hybrid.

So like, a mod of the cliche "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em"? As in, if the Canucks can't beat 'em, get 'em to join the Canucks?

I'm not sure Rask qualifies as a one-hit wonder. In his 6 complete seasons, he's only had one season under 0.920 save percentage, and even that was still .918. He's had stupendous numbers and in my mind has proven himself as a regular top 10 starter.

That said, now is when he'll really be tested with a team that's finally more average in front of him.

Apparently Hamilton had attitude issues, but that's hardly telling when the B's locker-room was so divided last year. Sweeny's mistake was not just trading this guy, but getting a horrible return as well. Hamilton's going to be a great D for Calgary for years. Sweeny's easily one of the worst GM's I've ever seen. When Benning made unpopular moves, at least they made sense. Sweeny's just don't make sense at all.

There HAD to be better offers for Hamilton out there. The only explanation I can come to with the return they accepted is this:

Sweeney already had a deal for L.A.'s pick, so he coveted Calgary's 1st so he could have 3 consecutive picks. It was all for the show. Which is a scary thought, if you're a Bruins fan.

I'm not sure Rask qualifies as a one-hit wonder. In his 6 complete seasons, he's only had one season under 0.920 save percentage, and even that was still .918. He's had stupendous numbers and in my mind has proven himself as a regular top 10 starter.

That said, now is when he'll really be tested with a team that's finally more average in front of him.

If Bruins have really decided to go full-rebuild, they should trade Rask...and soon.

You'd have to think that the Blues would be falling over themselves to get that done. Jake Allen + Ty Rattie + ???. Bruins go forward with Allen and Subban.

Archived