The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion: Baertschi losing favour with Willie

Sedintwinpowersactivate

I wish we weren't so damned trigger happy with our second round draft picks sometimes.

I'm glad we finally have the balls to take risks that actually mean something.

It's a 2nd round pick. It's not a Horvat or a Jensen or a Gaunce. It's later on than that. It's not like we're trading away the farm.

I just don't see the point in getting worked up over a 2nd round pick.

If Baertschi actually pans out, I highly doubt you'd be saying the same thing at all.

which is perfect for this team the young players should know their job is on the line every single night have a bad night you will be in the press box replaced with another young player

yes exactly. I don't think he's earned criticism or deserves to be in anyone's whipping boy cross-airs - but there is some depth of quality young prospects wanting those spots, and at the very least, a guy needs to work hard to keep his spot. He may not produce consistently, but I personally want to see a guy on his horse every shift.

Bartchi-Horvat-Vrbata

Two strictly offensive playmaking wingers on one line doesn't work, esp. when Vrbata appears to have checked out since being booted off the Sedin line. Horvat is good, but overwhelmed with duties, and his offense has suffered...

Bolded is here-say and also Vrbata has always been known more as a sniper / shooter not a playmaker... so not sure where that came from...

Anyways it's tough to say he "checked" out since there have been reports that Vrbata and Horvat wanted to play with each other and the lines been alright but hasn't seemed to of clicked... I think I'd like Vrbata and Sedins back together and try Horvat with Sutter or Virtanen

Soo we could have had Andersson or Kylington (w/Hutton)!!

Calgary would have had Sven in the dub and lost him for nothing. frack

Kylington is an even bigger boom or bust risk imo - hence falling to 60th overall.

But the timeline on Baertschi did make sense - particularly if they were uncertain about the readiness of guys like McCann and Virtanen, who have been pleasant surprises imo.

Baertschi wasn't very good last game, but he hardly deserves to be benched. Vrbata makes 5 million and has 0 points so far.

I agree with Willie that he needs to produce, but I don't think it's from lack of effort. Benching him this soon may be premature.

But if it gets McCann and Virtanen in the lineup at the same time I'm happy.

That was pretty clear..WD stresses that its good for all the rookies to sit and watch,and is happy with his play..

They're also ignoring that WD said:

1. Baertschi played well in Anaheim.

2. Baertschi has a bigger hill to climb than other prospects given his skillset.

3. Baertschi's made some high end plays.

Does that sound like Baertschi's losing favour?

The title of this thread is misleading. In fact, it's false information. Period. lol

Baertschi has had 1 just ok game, the rest he's looked excellent, It's Vrbata that should be getting scratched he's been really bad. If he keeps this up we will be lucky to get a second at the trading deadline for him. Willie needs to put Horvat with Barrtschi and Virtanen.

So you're saying put BAERTSCHI - HORVAT - VIRTANEN together and Sutter on at 3C so that Vrbata gets to play with the Sedins whereby his stats get padded so that Benning can salvage a 1st and a prospect at the trade deadline?

I agree.

So you're saying put BAERTSCHI - HORVAT - VIRTANEN together and Sutter on at 3C so that Vrbata gets to play with the Sedins whereby his stats get padded so that Benning can salvage a 1st and a prospect at the trade deadline?

I agree.

Wishful thinking much? That must be one desperate team to want to trade a 1st AND a prospect for a 34 year old.

I'm glad we finally have the balls to take risks that actually mean something.

It's a 2nd round pick. It's not a Horvat or a Jensen or a Gaunce. It's later on than that. It's not like we're trading away the farm.

I just don't see the point in getting worked up over a 2nd round pick.

If Baertschi actually pans out, I highly doubt you'd be saying the same thing at all.

No, I'm not crazy about trading high picks at the best of times, and especially not now as we go through a period of (dare I say it?) rebuilding. Especially at a time when the rough talent equivalent of the Veys, Baertchis and Pedans of the world are scrambling in a buyers market for low dollar contracts every summer. I actually subscribe to the opposite franchise building concept; loading up on additional picks while holding on to all of your own to give yourself more tosses at the prospect dart board, something the Red Wings have made a habit of doing over there years, and something I thought the dreaded Toronto Maple Leafs did to good effect last summer. You need lots of players coming on stream at all times, it`s not the sign of a healthy system when people are hyper-focused on the 84th* pick Guillaume Brisebois coming through for them because that`s all they've got. Odds are he won`t. The idea is to draft three or four of those with the hope that one makes it through, and you can't do it that way without at minimum keeping your own picks,.

*66th

Bartchi-Horvat-Vrbata

Two strictly offensive playmaking wingers on one line doesn't work, esp. when Vrbata appears to have checked out since being booted off the Sedin line. Horvat is good, but overwhelmed with duties, and his offense has suffered...

Bartchi-McCann-Hansen/Burrows

This will only work if McCann is truly NHL-ready. Jury's still out.

Bartchi-Sutter-Hansen/Burrows

I thought this was the original plan, but Sutter's with the Sedins now, in an interesting move to turn yet another big center into a winger.

Bartchi-Cracknell-Dorsett

Meh. Losing energy and fighting Prust brings.

First Vey, now Bartschi. Maybe we should just stop trading 2nd rounders? Or is it a requirement?

It's not like 2nd rounders turn out that often. Vet and Baertschi are still our prospects. We turned 2nd round picks into overage first rounders from previous teams that are still young.

You can't deny Baertschi's skill, he's just not able to put it together at the moment.

Baertschi wasn't very good last game, but he hardly deserves to be benched. Vrbata makes 5 million and has 0 points so far.

I agree with Willie that he needs to produce, but I don't think it's from lack of effort. Benching him this soon may be premature.

But if it gets McCann and Virtanen in the lineup at the same time I'm happy.

4 games in and Vrbata is a flub who we should be dumping to make room for rookies with less than 4 games of regular season experience? He has zero points and -2 so he is clearly the worst forward on the team?

This is seriously basic-stats-driven crazy talk. Next you will tell me his team-leading shots total (despite not playing with the Sedins regularly) is actually a bad thing because it means he has a terrible shot.

Vrbata is an excellent forward. Excellent. His defensive game is very sound. He makes all players he plays with more dangerous. He has an incredible shot, and a fantastic ability to make space for himself. None of Baertschi, Virtanen, or McCann have anything close to his abilities and reliability at present. That is not to say that any or all of them may not at some point be great players in their own right, but they are not going to eclipse Vrbata any time soon.

No, I'm not crazy about trading high picks at the best of times, and especially not now as we go through a period of (dare I say it?) rebuilding. Especially in a world where the rough talent equivalent of the Veys, Baertchis and Pedans of the world are scrambling in a buyers market for low dollar contracts every summer. I actually subscribe to the opposite team building concept; loading up on additional picks while holding on to all of your own to give yourself more tosses at the prospect dart board, something the Red Wings have made a habit of doing over there years, and something I thought the dreaded Toronto Maple Leafs did to good effect last summer. You need lots of players coming on stream at all times, it`s not the sign of a healthy system when people are hyper-focused on the 84th pick Guillaume Brisebois coming through for them because that`s all they''ve got. Odds are he won`t. The idea is to draft three or four of those with the hope that one makes it through, and you can't do it that way without at minimum keeping your own picks,.

What's the difference if of keeping a 2nd round pick or trading a 2nd round pick for a prospect we want? If we keep our 2nd round picks, we have just as much of a chance in getting another player that's similar to the players you mentioned, but with less to go on as they are younger. In fact, I'd like to argue that keeping the 2nd round pick and drafting is more of a risk than choosing prospects that have nice ceilings like the Baertschis and the Pedans.

Look at our draft record on 2nd rounders: Mallet, Rodin, Sauve, Ellington. The last player to come out of it that worked was Raymond. Are you saying you'd prefer Mallet or Rodin instead of Beartschi or Pedan?

It's not all about the draft. It's about growing a team. Picks alone will not get you such a team or else Edmonton would be dominating 2 years ago.

Archived