The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ranking our Canuck Defencemen (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Ranking the Canuck Defencemen  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So much weight has been on Edler's and Hamuis' shoulders to carry this team defensively it's nice to see some young guys step up so far this season. The two old vets have been through the wars so to speak..nice they don't have to go into godmode every night with some support (and backchecking as well by Sutter/Crack'n and Horvat) I think the defense will gel even more, and the new lines as well.

IM sorry but Tanev>Edler

I like Tanev. He has excellent defensive zone positioning, blocks a lot of shots, and makes a good first pass. He is a solid shutdown D.

However, if he is really our #1D we are in trouble. Normally a #1 D is a guy who contribute significant offense, play solid shutdown defence, and, ideally, has the size and toughness to contribute to the physical game. Tanev only one of these things.

Edler can go all three when he is on his game.

At this stage the voting is pretty clear. The top 4 consists of Edler, Tanev, Hammer, and Hutton. Too bad Hutton and Hammer both play left D and do not fit together as a natural pairing.

i look at as tanev helps edler keep his game steady ...bartkowski seems to compliment hamhuis' ability to move the puck out of our zone quicker and hutton's coolness allows sbisa to play a more physical game and be out of position sometimes ....

we need a reliable offensive d-man like shattenkirk...and a solid stay at home tough d-man...we may have one in the system...

IM sorry but Tanev>Edler

This so muchhhhhhh. How is it even a debate? Outside of the hardest slapshot contest in the annual skills comp. there is nothing Tanev doesn't do better. 

Edlers offensive game is weak, predictable, and slow. All while taking the risks to make a play. Tanev plays it safe, but is starting to become more involved, well see how the year goes. Still, with respect to pp and opportunity, neither is racking up the points. Defense is Tanev by a mile.  

I think if they're both playing at the top of their respective games Edler deservedly gets the edge(better offensively and waaay better physically)

That being said I don't think either has looked as sharp as they could this season

Also agree with this. 

I think Tanev looked his best during the Torts year, and has improved since, but hasn't shown it as much as he could. Edler while far improved from those godawful years, still leaves a lot to be desired from a guy with those tools. 

Tough poll really as a lot of our defenseman are one dimensional in their own skillset. Edler is the only one with a good overall suite of skills, offense, defense, skating and hitting say what you will about how good he is at each on any given day... Makes him the top ranked by default imho.

Tanev a great skater but only has pure defensive acumen as a skill set as he has zero offense and does not hit. He cannot compare with the likes of an Edler. But Tanev is very effective at what he does bring to the table, hard to argue that. Number 2.

Hamhuis is closer but has regressed as of late and does not put up the points he once did. But hammer is still more complete than say Tanev. Least he hits once in a while. Number 3

Sbisa? Same deal, one sided. He is physical and hits. But does not excel defensively of offensively. Has no shot to speak of.

Bartkowski? Have to wait and see what he brings. Skates well in a straight line I guess... Is that a skill? Defends alright.

Hutton looks promising as he looks smart in his own and and shows playmaking ability. Don't see many hits or physical play. He could be our number 4 or even higher if he can keep it up. IF...

Do I need to go over Weber's skillset?

Anyways I find it hard to compare any of our defence. After Edler there is little to scare the opposition. But they can be effective defenders and I guess it is all you can ask for the most part. But after Hamhuis they are all depth guys no better or worse

Number 8??? Biega/Fedun in NA Trymalkin in RUS... I'd take Pedan just for size and grit tho but that's just me lol

All the current roster players, then all our prospects.  Then Hamhuis.  I know this evaluation of his current player for the dollar he's payed is not popular, but I say his play has really dropped off.  So much so, he's way overpaid, making the super cheap prospects worth more.

All the current roster players, then all our prospects.  Then Hamhuis.  I know this evaluation of his current player for the dollar he's payed is not popular, but I say his play has really dropped off.  So much so, he's way overpaid, making the super cheap prospects worth more.

I wouldn't be THAT harsh of Hamhuis, but I agree with the sentiment. I don't understand how he continues to be over-rated here in CDC.  If this is a rating based on the present day, then I'd rate him below Hutton. I know its early but Hutton has a more points and a better +/- than Hamhuis already.

Edler

Tanev

Hutton

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Bartkowski

Weber

I wouldn't be THAT harsh of Hamhuis, but I agree with the sentiment. I don't understand how he continues to be over-rated here in CDC.  If this is a rating based on the present day, then I'd rate him below Hutton. I know its early but Hutton has a more points and a better +/- than Hamhuis already.

Edler

Tanev

Hutton

Hamhuis

Sbisa

Bartkowski

Weber

I'm thinking Sbisa is more physical, Weber can play offence, Bartkowski skates better, and all three get paid less.  I think Hamhuis is losing trade value fast, and might not even be worth a third rounder at the TDL:(

I'm thinking Sbisa is more physical, Weber can play offence, Bartkowski skates better, and all three get paid less.  I think Hamhuis is losing trade value fast, and might not even be worth a third rounder at the TDL:(

While true on those three, Hamhuis has more experience, he usually will  make a smarter play. But he is sinking fast for me.  I just hope that other GMs don't catch on to his slide and we can say bye to him before the trade deadline. It seems like he is still regarded highly based on his being included in the Olympic squad. (I did not get that) I was hoping he'd be gone the same time Bieksa was traded. We could have used that cap hit $.

While true on those three, Hamhuis has more experience, he usually will  make a smarter play. But he is sinking fast for me.  I just hope that other GMs don't catch on to his slide and we can say bye to him before the trade deadline. It seems like he is still regarded highly based on his being included in the Olympic squad. (I did not get that) I was hoping he'd be gone the same time Bieksa was traded. We could have used that cap hit $.

I was thinking we would get a first at the TDL for Hamhuis.  But now I'm hoping for a second, and realizing we will be lucky to get a third.  Unless, like you say, a team with a stupid GM (Boston?) gives us more.

Edler - Very good defensively when he doesn't have those mental lapses. Could stand to hit the net more, but has the most threatening shot on our team. 

Tanev - Just wish he had a harder shot. Excellent defensively, great outlet passes, and good mobility.

Hamhuis - Very good defensively, and helps in puck possession. 

Hutton - Has a lot of potential as a puckmoving defenseman. Gets the puck out of trouble, helping out Sbisa.

Sbisa - Quietly having a good year defensively. Makes mistakes chipping it out, but the presence of Hutton has alleviated that a bit.

Bartkowski - I like his speed a lot, especially on zone entries, but he needs to be more tenacious skating back. Often tries to cover the pass when he should just go for the check. 

Weber - Not sure how he fits on this team right now, but his shot on the pp would be nice. 

Archived