The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver 3-4 Dallas

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Yup...umm I did say 3 on 3 would be a problem after the first time the team went. Generally, in these situations, speed and skill rules 100%. If your guyz don't have both in OT, you will lose every single time. Whether Jake Virtanen can't process the game at a full NHL level yet is pretty irrelevant at this point. It's 3 on 3. Speed and skill rule. There is so much space on the ice,  but there isn't as much to focus on. I think he and everyone else with lots of speed and skill should only be allowed in OT from now on.

Let's throw Baertschi out 3 on 3 to 'build his confidence!'

Most sheltered forward on this team by a country mile  - highest ozone starts, by far the weakest quality of competition - and that's with other rookies in the lineup.

No, that's not the 'only way he'll learn'.   That's as surefire a way of wrecking his confidence as it is as way of 'teaching' him.  Throwing him in over his head - when he's the weakest two way link in the lineup - into 3 on 3 situations against the best players in the league - aint exactly schooling WD in how to coach - and it's not exactly a superior approach to gaining points that will be important if this team finds itself in a playoff race..

Baertschi needs to show he can handle sheltered five on five minutes first.

But carry on.

I would have thought WD would have realized that the one game they did not bech the young guys, they ended up beating the top team in the league...hmmmmm

And they were only up 3-1 in the third. The Habs may have gotten back into it had he decided to shorten the bench at that point.

How he doesn't see the connection between playing the young guys, and having the veterans be fresher when they hit the ice is kind of baffling.

It's not like a rookie directly caused a goal against in a tight game. He has no reason not to trust them other than his personal bias.

Yea, but you just have to accept this is how the NHL is run now. You can't count on getting the calls, especially in another teams building. We should have easily had 4 more powerplays tonight, but you can't let that distract from the fact they should have won this game without the calls.

We just gotta hope that if we keep playing this way the calls will come.

The blown call on Hansen was bloody inexcusable pun intended...

It's sheltering for the sake of sheltering. It does nothing positive, because if they made mistakes, they would at least be able to learn from them. Instead the veterans are the ones making the mistakes and they aren't able to share the load with the rest of the team.

I keep hearing about the confidence of the young guys, but in my mind the egos of the veterans are much more fragile. The kids are playing without fear and the only reason that they hold back at all is a result of coaching. Willie is so worried about confidence and these egos that might get wrecked, that he's ignoring the fact that he has a bunch of super-confident, over-achieving, young guns on his team. 

Let go of the reigns Willie. You're pulling back on a stallion that's trying to gallop. We're going to live or die by our depth and we need to count on them to take valuable minutes.

Sutter at 19:01 and then Burrows at 18:28 had the most ice time of any forwards tonight.

Let's cut the crap about shortening the bench tiring out the veterans so they're not fresh, leading to losses.  Nonsense.

Virtanen has been playing 14, 15 minutes a night the past few games.  Baertschi and McCann around 10 - and that's about right.

Much ado about nothing.

Everyone's blaming Willie, were you watching the game?? I haven't complained about the officiating yet this year, it's actually been pretty good. Tonight's game was a joke! I guess we all know who the NHL's new darling is out West, Jamie Benn and the Dallas Stars. He gets away with a brutal pick/slash on Dorsett to set up the tying goal, hooking Vrbata on a 2-1 right under the arm, gets away with punching Hansen in the back of his head after he grabs him to take him out of the rush, bowls him over and stands over him. Add the missed call on Hansen with a high stick that should've been 4 mins. Yet they call 2 penalties on the Canucks that were blatant dives by Dallas, 1 where the guys stick is touched and he jumps to the ice. They did let a tripping call go on the Canucks in the 3rd, but only because they let Benn get away with the pick/slash less than a minute before.

I personally complain about officiating a lot. This year I haven't and I think most games were called pretty fair. I definitely agree.... Tonight was atrocious. The fix was in. 

Regardless , this team had a 3 1 lead even though the refs were forcing the game. Team shouldn't be blowing these leads. 

Sutter at 19:01 and then Burrows at 18:28 had the most ice time of any forwards tonight.

Let's cut the crap about shortening the bench tiring out the veterans so they're not fresh, leading to losses.  Nonsense.

Virtanen has been playing 14, 15 minutes a night the past few games.  Baertschi and McCann around 10 - and that's about right.

Much ado about nothing.

It's not about their total minutes, it's about when their minutes are being cut back.

Baertschi and McCann had over 8 of their minutes in the first and second and barely any in the third.

we were up 3-1 and playing very well. I didn't see any need to play any different than we were playing, yet Willie changed up the strategy.

It's not about their total minutes, it's about when their minutes are being cut back.

Baertschi and McCann had over 8 of their minutes in the first and second and barely any in the third.

we were up 3-1 and playing very well. I didn't see any need to play any different than we were playing, yet Willie changed up the strategy.

Well, you'd be throwing Baertschi out 3 on 3 - I'll take WD's approach over yours every time.

Agreed,not really a smart idea...especially when you're playing back to back.

I remember when CDC thought Cody Hodgson was a 2nd line center and should have been getting Kesler's minutes.

Welcome to CDC - where the kids are always hard done by.

AV hates kids.

WD is "biased" against the youth - but has a handful of rookies in his lineup - derp.

And on and on lol.

I remember when CDC thought Cody Hodgson was a 2nd line center and should have been getting Kesler's minutes.

Welcome to CDC - where the kids are always hard done by.

AV hates kids.

WD is "biased" against the youth - but has a handful of rookies in his lineup - derp.

And on and on lol.

Willie didn't exactly have a choice. Benning didn't go out and sign any vets. It was rookies, or play with an incomplete lineup.

Willie is doing what most coaches do, which is lean on their vets because it's "safe".

What we're seeing is a poor mindset based on this teams age and need for scoring depth.

You mean the one that's lost us 4 games in OT?

Right, because throwing Baertschi out would hinder our winning OT record...

I dont think it would be that bad of an idea to try Sven 3 on 3....Its not about a 2 way game,its a whole different animal (theres not much physical contact for a start)...his skills seem perfect for it..IMO...

Right, the team is losing 3 on 3 games because the rookies aren't playing in OT.

k.

They're not winning because they're not deploying guys that are fast and skilled. McCann and Baertschi are fast and skilled.

By playing the vets more in the the third, it also leaves them more worn down come overtime.

No one is saying the rookies should be taking anyones minutes. We're saying that the coach shouldn't all of a sudden bench them in the third to protect a lead.

He's proven this is a bad strategy. The evidence is there for everyone to see.

Archived