The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver 3-4 Dallas

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Willie didn't exactly have a choice. Benning didn't go out and sign any vets. It was rookies, or play with an incomplete lineup.

Willie is doing what most coaches do, which is lean on their vets because it's "safe".

What we're seeing is a poor mindset based on this teams age and need for scoring depth.

You seem to be under the misimpression that WD and JB aren't on the same page.  

WD has had a choice - he's chosen a rookie over a veteran on many occasions - in fact all of the rookies have played more games than Cracknell, who has a pair of goals in a fourth line role - not exactly begging to be pulled out of the lineup.

G'night armchair coaches.  It's past my bedtime.

I dont think it would be that bad of an idea to try Sven 3 on 3....Its not about a 2 way game,its a whole different animal (theres not much physical contact for a start)...his skills seem perfect for it..IMO...

That's the part I think the coach is missing. We're not trying to play D. 

3 on 3 rewards the teams that are willing to go for it. Not the teams that sit back and try to not give up chances.

Both goals to tie had multiple picks set . i am not one to blame refs much but that was poorly called game and clearly interference on the tying goal. Oh well...need to find a way to be better at 3 on 3....it's getting &^@#ing sad. 

Yes, Dallas scored the tying goal on a pick play and yes, pick plays are against the official rules. But all teams use pick plays, including the Canucks. The de facto rule is that only flagrant picks get called and I have no problem with that. I thought the tying goal was legitmate by current NHL standards.

On the OT goal, both Horvat and Weber made mistakes that led to the OT winner. I think playing Weber and Horvat in OT was a  mistake.

You seem to be under the misimpression that WD and JB aren't on the same page.  

WD has had a choice - he's chosen a rookie over a veteran on many occasions - in fact all of the rookies have played more games than Cracknell, who has a pair of goals in a fourth line role - not exactly begging to be pulled out of the lineup.

G'night armchair coaches.  It's past my bedtime.

Willie has to ice a team that Benning gives him. The team he gave him was always going to have rookies on it no matter what. 

Willie chose McCann over Cracknell because McCann has been playing better and is leading the team is goals.

Let's throw Baertschi out 3 on 3 to 'build his confidence!'

Most sheltered forward on this team by a country mile  - highest ozone starts, by far the weakest quality of competition - and that's with other rookies in the lineup.

Baertschi needs to show he can handle sheltered five on five minutes first.

You couldn't be more wrong.  "Highest ozone starts" ... Bae is on Bo's line, so where Bo goes and who Bo plays against, Bae does too.  Let's see:

Bo took 18 F/O's, of which only 4 were in the ozone;  9 in the Dzone, and 5 in neutral. (As a team we had 21 Ozone F/Os)

Of these 18, 6 were against Seguin and another 6 against Spezza ... hardly "by far the weakest quality of competition"

You couldn't be more wrong.  "Highest ozone starts" ... Bae is on Bo's line, so where Bo goes and who Bo plays against, Bae does too.  Let's see:

Bo took 18 F/O's, of which only 4 were in the ozone;  9 in the Dzone, and 5 in neutral.

6 were against Seguin and another 6 against Spezza ... hardly "by far the weakest quality of competition"

I agree, he hasn't been that sheltered. That doesn't even matter in 3 on 3 though.

3 on 3 is about quick transitions and being able create odd man rushes, it's not about playing safe.

We're better off risking a two on one the other way and having Miller make the save, than collapsing back and letting guys walk in for a grade A chance. The best way to get a quality chance is to give up one and take advantage of the other team being caught down low.

This strategy of playing safe and not giving up chances is the wrong way to go about it. Chances are going to be given up in 3 on 3, it's unavoidable. It's about being ready to transition and take advantage after those chances occur.

I wanted Cracknell in over Baers, no offense to Baers but I kinda knew this would be "like" a playoff game and it was. (very exciting a lot of action in the slot) In the inner game with Baers, Virt, and McCann,  keep rotating each of them out in the short term. (to observe and learn, sit with Trev have a popcorn and relax,  and watch)

With a physical squad like Dallas Crax's board play would have helped gain time and space esp for Bo.(and maybe even score?) I thought Baers would get more time and space with Ari...we'll see.

That being said WD seems to be icing the rookies with the intention of benching them in the 3rd when sphincters are tight, which is not a great teaching aid. Learning by fire means to not teach them to be gun-shy or  not to play out of fear of losing.

If this conservative style is it for WD (with veterans only),  then send the kids back and sign 2 or 3 veteran free agents grab Higgy and play out the string. The library brigade can take over. Be going for a draft pick and another early first round exit. 

On a side note WD seems to be sending a message upstairs as well, by the way  he's deploying the young guys treating them like a "burden" to be coached around. Which has been backfiring IMO.

I've been following the Canucks outside of Vancouver. Despite being away from home, I'll always bleed blue and green. Ordinarily, individual losses do not get to me but this one was unacceptable. I am especially perturbed on this occasion because of Seguin's previous comments about the Sedins and Niemi's comments about the Canucks being lucky to move on to the SCF in 2011. And then there was the cheap shot on Henrik today. I know it may seem trivial but, boys, you've got to shut these guys up and put them in their place. 

I absolutely love the Canucks but part of the reason they are so alluring after all these years is that their play seems to mirror my life: the nice guys who play by the rules (and are accountable when they do not) just get burned by insecure, spoiled, entitled people. The heavy hearted struggle so hard to survive but it was in their hands tonight: they proved they could be better. Seriously. Play the 60 minutes and get the W you deserve. There's no way it should have eluded them tonight. This is infuriating to the point where it warranted putting my studies aside to comment. On to the next one.

I've been following the Canucks outside of Vancouver. Despite being away from home, I'll always bleed blue and green. Ordinarily, individual losses do not get to me but this one was unacceptable. I am especially perturbed on this occasion because of Seguin's previous comments about the Sedins and Niemi's comments about the Canucks being lucky to move on to the SCF in 2011. And then there was the cheap shot on Henrik today. I know it may seem trivial but, boys, you've got to shut these guys up and put them in their place. 

I absolutely love the Canucks but part of the reason they are so alluring after all these years is that their play seems to mirror my life: the nice guys who play by the rules (and are accountable when they do not) just get burned by insecure, spoiled, entitled people. The heavy hearted struggle so hard to survive but it was in their hands tonight: they proved they could be better. Seriously. Play the 60 minutes and get the W you deserve. There's no way it should have eluded them tonight. This is infuriating to the point where it warranted putting my studies aside to comment. On to the next one.

I dunno I think the Canucks showed them they're still a relevant team in the West. They may not be a contender anymore, but teams better not take them lightly. Stars were lucky to get the win tonight, it could have gone either way.

We'll see if they get the same favorable reffing when they come to our barn.

One guy that was missed tonight was Brandon Prust...I can see Bennings motive for having him on the team...Lots of cheap stuff by the Stars after the whistle.

Yea, and he was just starting to gel with McCann too. Any word on his injury?

I know Higgins is eligible to play now, so he could be back Monday. It should be pretty crowded when he's back.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows Sutter Virtanen

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Cracknell, Baertschi

Baertschi can rotate in and out with Virtanen.

We may look fine in the 1st and 2nd period, but we are simply not good enough to compete when the other team starts to press in the 3rd.  I won't even consider them choked or blew the lead, it is just that they are not good enough when other teams start to try.

We may look fine in the 1st and 2nd period, but we are simply not good enough to compete when the other team starts to press in the 3rd.  I won't even consider them choked or blew the lead, it is just that they are not good enough when other teams start to try.

You don't think the Stars tried until the third?

I don't agree with that. They outshot us 10-0 in the first at one point.

The Canucks have the problem of playing safe and making "high percentage plays" when they think they have a good enough lead. This causes them to sit back and let the other team take it to them. It's been a problem for years, it's not about not being good enough.

You don't think the Stars tried until the third?

I don't agree with that. They outshot us 10-0 in the first at one point.

The Canucks have the problem of playing safe and making "high percentage plays" when they think they have a good enough lead. This causes them to sit back and let the other team take it to them. It's been a problem for years, it's not about not being good enough.

Well, of course the Stars tried in the 1st and 2nd as well, but they didn't play with the urgency.  In the 3rd, whenever the other team plays with urgency, we are simply not good enough to withstand the pressure with the lineup we are having. 

Try to keep it in perspective. Given their construction and cutthroat division, Dallas has to play kamikaze balls to the wall all-or-nothing hockey. Remember these guys had the rare honor of missing the playoffs with an Art Ross winner last season. Van is the opposite - mix of aging core + rookies, their best bet is safe, odds-on, inching through the season.

I'll take the point considering this game should have been out of reach by the 10 minute mark.

Well, of course the Stars tried in the 1st and 2nd as well, but they didn't play with the urgency.  In the 3rd, whenever the other team plays with urgency, we are simply not good enough to withstand the pressure with the lineup we are having. 

I would say it's our strategy that's hurting us more than anything. Once we get the lead instead of continuing to pressure and keep possession, we're more content to just dump the puck and let the other team take control. This has been a problem for while now. We saw it against Calgary too.

They're wondering why they're having less success in the third period, yet it's pretty obvious when you look at how their game changes. Higgins even mentioned it in an interview a couple days ago. He said something along the lines of "if we keep sitting back and letting them attack, they're going to find a way to score".

Dallas didn't start playing any differently in the third, we did. That's why they were able to generate more chances, because we weren't pushing the pace in their end anymore, It was almost like they were trying to coast and conserve energy for tomorrow nights game.

Archived