The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver 3-4 Dallas

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Could have won but Willie has no confidence in the young guys. You can't bench 3 guys in the third and expect to hold the lead. We have seen this too many times in this short season. So damn stupid.

I wondered how quickly this point would come up in the PGT. I have to agree. Willie shortens the bench to "protect a lead".

To steal a phrase from the football: "the prevent defence protects you from winning". In this benching the  young guys prevents you from winning.

But having Hammer out also hurts. Bartkowski and Weber make me very nervous. Sbisa was actually pretty good tonight, though. And Edler, Tanev and Hutton were all very good, as usual.

Because getting 3 out of a possible 4 points against the top 2 teams in the league is "average". Yeah, OK. 

Exactly! That is my point!

Despite having an old first line, carrying 4 rookies and a 2nd year player, not having Hamhuis, we did win 3 of 4 points off of 2 very good teams........yet, to can't tell by reading a lot of these comments........we aren't contenders, but a lot of teams are playing about the same as us........

you guys take me to seriously sometimes....but I think as a team in transition, we will feel like this a lot with them this year.......in saying that... you are right, we took 3 of 4 points off of 2 very good teams.....I think we are doing better than expected...

Benching young players, or sheltering their TOI, CAN make sense. Often it does. Sometimes they ride the pine because they've played poorly, sometimes because they're adapting they get specific TOI. 

But when so many players are young, you can't bench all of them, because there's not enough players roll then. This is especially true when they're not playing poorly.

"Not playing during a 3rd period lead" is too much shertering, once again, esp. if you have so much youth. 

Desjardins should've already adapted to this—I thought he did in MTL. But he hasn't. He better soon. If the Canucks miss a playoff spot by a few points, these glaring mistakes are gonna cost him some job security. 

I know everyone is upset with these 3rd period choke shows but I think we have played a pretty solid game overall. Sometimes the puck just doesn't bounce your way, but if you continue to play fundamentally sound hockey these bounces will eventually go in your favour. 

Our play has exceeded my expectations. 

I'm very happy with the way the team is playing thus far.

4-2-4 is a 100 point range pace.

The team has been working McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, and now Gaunce into the lineup, as well as newcomers Bartkowski, Prust, Crack.

Have lost their backup and are riding Miller, who, until tonight has been borderline infallible.

Every loss has been a tight game- they've given up leads against good teams pushing hard, but nevertheless, every loss has been by one goal iirc.

So they've been in it in the last sixty seconds of all 10 of their games this season.

I'd say that's a pretty damn successful start for a team that a whole lot of people were predicting would tank this season.

I'm very happy with the way the team is playing thus far.

4-2-4 is a 100 point range pace.

The team has been working McCann, Virtanen, Hutton, Baertschi, and now Gaunce into the lineup, as well as newcomers Bartkowski, Prust, Crack.

Have lost their backup and are riding Miller, who, until tonight has been borderline infallible.

Every loss has been a tight game- they've given up leads against good teams pushing hard, but nevertheless, every loss has been by one goal iirc.

So they've been in it in the last sixty seconds of all 10 of their games this season.

I'd say that's a pretty damn successful start for a team that a whole lot of people were predicting would tank this season.

Good teams push back when being pressed and usually get some grade A chances from it. My only beef is the coach turtling. It's costing us points we may need at the end of the season. 

perhaps he means it in the context of ( are we really contenders ? )   if thats what he's trying to say than I cannot disagree .. and the goal is to win or at least realistically contend for the cup .    I dont know that many of us see that as a reality right now 

lol I never said they were contenders. They are an ABOVE-AVERAGE team that plays well for 40 minutes. When they start lagging off in the 3rd it frustrates me because they have it in the bag. They have the potential to be great and they are not showing it right now.

Exactly! That is my point!

Despite having an old first line, carrying 4 rookies and a 2nd year player, not having Hamhuis, we did win 3 of 4 points off of 2 very good teams........yet, to can't tell by reading a lot of these comments........we aren't contenders, but a lot of teams are playing about the same as us........

you guys take me to seriously sometimes....but I think as a team in transition, we will feel like this a lot with them this year.......in saying that... you are right, we took 3 of 4 points off of 2 very good teams.....I think we are doing better than expected...

Well... It is CDC.

Of course, throwing a bunch of rookies on the ice when a really good team like Dallas is pushing hard to come back isn't always going to be the best strategy either.  I do agree with the idea that maybe the vets are getting a little tired at the end but it also could just be that the opposing teams have another gear and the Canucks simply cannot match it.  Wasn't Gaunce taking a d-zone face-off with like 5 minutes left? It's not like they were all stapled to the bench for all of the third.

Good teams push back when being pressed and usually get some grade A chances from it. My only beef is the coach turtling. It's costing us points we may need at the end of the season. 

Well hopefully they can add that to their repertoire and improve from a 100pt pace team to a "good team".;)

The problem is we could've gotten 2... 

Before the game I'd say 75% of the fans on here thought we'd get none.

They showed that they can go toe to toe with one of the best teams in the conference if they play hard. They only beat us because of a new format that is essentially another skills competition like the shootout. 

Take the point and move on.

I think the Canucks did reasonably well against a very hot team.

We weathered the Dallas early storm, and took control of the game.

And we would have won it except for a very lucky 3-2 goal for Dallas that got them going again.

Canucks had a lot of good chances, which is a good sign.

Virtanen had a monster hit, and got the whole Dallas team whining.  :lol:  Don't know what they  were whining for...  It was a completely clean hit, just a solid body to body against a player who was fishing for the puck and not watching.

Did anyone notice the absolutely AWESOME play by Hutton?  He was stuck in a defensive jam in his own end, surrounded by Dallas players, instead of panicking, he calmly turned a couple Dallas forecheckers inside out, then took off up the ice, took the puck right down into the Dallas end, almost set up a good scoring chance, but even though he ended the rush behind the goal line on their side, he was poised enough to recover almost immediately and get right back in his defensive position as if nothing had happened... I know Chris Tanev is a cool customer under pressure, but Hutton takes that cool and puts sunglasses on it.  He is a GOLD plated find.  ;)

The veterans should know better to than to do the same thing over and over... :picard:

It's not the veterans doing the same thing over and over. The coach is the problem and this is coming from a guy who was super excited we got him as a coach. Playing not to lose never gets you a win. He should've learned this lesson by now.

Archived