The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

+/- : Sbisa 0, Horvat -6

Sedin Brothers

I know I'm going to be hated, but I'm going to be the one with balls and bring this up.

Yet all I see is this warranted, but way over the top hate on Sbisa. News flash guys, Sbisa is not the reason we are losing these games. He's definitely a turnover machine, but not the sole reason. But I will say that Horvat going through this sophomore slump is definitely not helping.

I think we're in good shape as of now, but I find it interesting that we get threads like "Vrbata holding Horvat down" or "we're losing cause of  D" - well D also includes a supposed great two-way center that's not doing very well defensively.

I love Horvat and think he can get 20 goals on the year, but if he can't keep it up, I think he should go as the 3 center for the year. He's not playing good.

Horvat is playing well, but has had his defensive responsibilities increase by quite a bit, and he's had to adjust to that.  Classic sophomore jinx scenario.

McCann is currently getting the role Horvat had last year, and predictably everyone is really, really excited about McCann.

It's no wonder we're in love with our 4th lines here.  They get by far the easiest assignments.

Coaching and management have some tough calls to make.  Do we send the kids down and scrape away at games with vets?  Or do we tinker with a kid-filled lineup all season long to promote some NHL development?  I think this year it might be the latter, but we'll see.

He's definitely not having a strong start (critical errors by him on the 3rd / 4th goal last night) but you expect this with every young player. Just remember that he's still learning and giving him more minutes and throwing him in different scenarios is only going to improve his development.

Look at some of the best players in the world around the lead with their starts.

Another CDCer depending on the much USELESS +/- Stat.

Let me break it down for you...

Sbisa has the puck skates up ice weak pass by his bench and gets off leaving the team to defend against another shoddy play by Sbisa...who is WELL WELL on the bench.

LOL :wub:

Well what's your excuse for Horvat?

Personally, I think it's hard for a DEFENDER to turn it over (because they will already be in their zone) and then proceed to get off the ice. So… try again?

The only +/- worse than Sbisa's even rating on our D now is Bartkowski and Weber with -1 apiece, btw.

Not exactly a great argument going here.

That's because Miller has been on his head. But I never said Sbisa was a world beater… but 4th/5th on the line (like stats) show seem relevant to his stature right now. 

My point is both are young and developing and quite frankly Sbisa isn't as bad as most say. Not worse than Bieksa.

Considering the fact that before last night Horvat was a -8, putting into the consideration that Miller has been playing elite, I think it stands.

Horvat's -6 came mostly from a -3 when he was put with Dorsett in stupid matchups against St.Louis (coach's fault). 

Other than that, he's -3 on the year despite being offensively snake-bitten and having inconsistent linemates and role. His play hasn't been the best, but not as bad as the plus/minus indicates. 

Bo in preseason looked like he'd be immune to the sophomore jinx. Unfortunately he's just getting used to the heavier workload.

And it looks like the jinx caught up to him. The good thing is he does a lot of little things right, so his fundamentals are sound. 

He'll breakout, it's just a matter of time. The question I have is will Virtanen break out in time to keep him in Vancouver? 

Sbisa is a mystery to me. One minute he's steady, the next gaffe, after gaffe. I'm just glad I saw a pretty damn good game from Edler last night. 

Well what's your excuse for Horvat?

Personally, I think it's hard for a DEFENDER to turn it over (because they will already be in their zone) and then proceed to get off the ice. So… try again?

Why do I need an excuse...just because he is on the ice for a goal does not mean he was the initial reason...

Vrbata -4, Dorsett -3 soooooooooooooooo yeppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

LAST 5 GAMES for sbisa lol, it's one lucky performance against montreal that saved his +/-

GAP+/-PIMPPGSHGSS%SHIFTSTOIPPP
OCT 29 '15 VAN @ DAL000-20000 2619:270
OCT 27 '15 MTL @ VAN*1012000250.02317:450
OCT 24 '15 DET @ VAN000-10000 2216:530
OCT 22 '15 WSH @ VAN000-10000 2418:440
OCT 18 '15 EDM @ VAN00000000 2517:340

Archived