The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shooting & Explosions in France

Tortorella's Rant

The medieval crusades were about kicking the muslims out of the holy land.

Now the crusades have the holy land already secure and it's about kicking the muslims out of the rest of the land.  But what's weird is that the biggest western crusaders are allies with the biggest arab country.

This leads one to believe that the crusades as far as a holy war are an illusion now and that people are being fooled everywhere.

Actually, when you think about it, the medieval crusades were launched for the same illusion, but the real reasons were more economical and territorial.

What's that quote about not learning from our history?

You do realize not everywhere has metal detectors on every door or armed security patrolling the hallways. It's not particularly difficult to have gotten someone working there to allow access through a staff entrance or something similar, but the fact that so few of these types of attacks happen even without impenetrable security at all any and all public place just shows how infrequently they happen.

As for the SWAT, clearly they wouldn't just rush in guns blazing until they had a better idea of what was happening inside. They want to be able to avoid casualties, not cause them. 

Obviously this is not common. But this fact alone if this is the case here practically encourages this sort of thing if someone really wants to do this - and then you're screwed. Then again, if I'm security guard or a cop at some event like this, I don't think you're paying me enough to combat men with high powered rifles and bombs. Never mind that I'm not nearly well enough equipped to fight them. I guess it's inevitable if your spy agencies don't catch such people..

Religion is a major player this time around..

It always is. Ask any of those suicide bombers .

No wait, they're busy with virgins.

There's a different between fanatics using religion to their own ends, and religion itself. Religion may be used as a rallying point in this and other cases, but it's the people that are pulling the triggers.

Obviously this is not common. But this fact alone if this is the case here practically encourages this sort of thing if someone really wants to do this - and then you're screwed. Then again, if I'm security guard or a cop at some event like this, I don't think you're paying me enough to combat men with high powered rifles and bombs. Never mind that I'm not nearly well enough equipped to fight them. I guess it's inevitable if your spy agencies don't catch such people..

But again, how often does this realistically happen to warrant the extra expense to be able to detect AK-47s and deal with terrorists? If spy agencies were so good at stopping any and all attacks, why can't they just eradicate the problem at it's source?

It's an unrealistic statement to think this was 100% preventable.

As I read the intro of that link It sure feels quite similar in terms of politics and war,  just basically annihilating each other over differing religious ideals.

"The Crusades were a series of religious and political wars fought between 1096 and 1291 for control of the Holy Land. Pope Urban II initiated the First Crusade (1096–1102) in order to aid the Christian Byzantine Empire, which was under attack by Muslim Seljuk Turks. As a result of this crusade, Europeans captured Jerusalem in 1099. Muslims quickly unified against the Christian invading and occupying force and the two groups battled in subsequent wars for control of the Holy Land. By 1291 the Muslims firmly controlled Jerusalem and the coastal areas, which remained in Islamic hands until the twentieth century."

So what "holy land" is there in France?  New York?  

The crusades were originally to assist the Byzantine empire that was being attacked by the Seijuk Turks.

let me rephrase, but seriously: Islam is a minor player in Syria?

Islam is a major player in Syria... but not a major player in this particular attack. It has more to do with politics.

The Russian airline bombing is of similar situation because of Russia's role in Syria.. 

One attacker even said: "this is for Syria" unlike before they did because of the cartoons of mohammed. 

So what "holy land" is there in France?  New York?  

The crusades were originally to assist the Byzantine empire that was being attacked by the Seijuk Turks.

Well you have me there but you get what i am saying in terms of how the last 25 years could look and feel like the crusades to those people living in the regions affected by continuous war.

The medieval crusades were about kicking the muslims out of the holy land.

Now the crusades have the holy land already secure and it's about kicking the muslims out of the rest of the land.  But what's weird is that the biggest western crusaders are allies with the biggest arab country.

This leads one to believe that the crusades as far as a holy war are an illusion now and that people are being fooled everywhere.

Actually, when you think about it, the medieval crusades were launched for the same illusion, but the real reasons were more economical and territorial.

What's that quote about not learning from our history?

Saudi Gold and Oil buys all.

But again, how often does this realistically happen to warrant the extra expense to be able to detect AK-47s and deal with terrorists? If spy agencies were so good at stopping any and all attacks, why can't they just eradicate the problem at it's source?

It's an unrealistic statement to think this was 100% preventable.

It's certainly not preventable. It could happen here at a hockey game. Considering extremism is on their door step and they've acknowledge this I would figure any and all additional expenses to reduce such devastation would be implemented. At the very least seriously entertained. Maybe this place does have door checkers, metal detectors, security guards and they blew their way in anyway. I think I said I was just assuming these things weren't in place for the sake of discussion.

Isis seems to be a group of people only interested in killing, dominating, and destroying. 

Isis has already destroyed UN designated historical sites, for no reason. And these are sites created by their ancestors.  They have raped women, killed doctors who have tried to provide medical assistance, and just seem to know nothing except killing.

Mass murder whether its a movie theatre, a school, seems to be almost commonplace. People can't find common ground and discuss or work things out. All societies around the world seem to be becoming more and more divisive, hateful, greedy, and selfish. 

Maybe it's time we all look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and ask some hard questions, like what is driving people to kill others, and act in such an inhuman way? Can't we all get along? The fact that anyone could rejoice in what happened shows humanity has some real deep seeded issues. 

It's certainly not preventable. It could happen here at a hockey game. Considering extremism is on their door step and they've acknowledge this I would figure any and all additional expenses to reduce such devastation would be implemented. At the very least seriously entertained. Maybe this place does have door checkers, metal detectors, security guards and they blew their way in anyway. I think I said I was just assuming these things weren't in place for the sake of discussion.

a survivor named Julien Pearce said on CNN that there was no security. They just flashed their tickets.

kinda glad now mandates metal detectors at all the games.

in places like Paris, I bet they will make armed security a requirement for any mass gatherings from now on.

Isis seems to be a group of people only interested in killing, dominating, and destroying. 

Isis has already destroyed UN designated historical sites, for no reason. And these are sites created by their ancestors.  They have raped women, killed doctors who have tried to provide medical assistance, and just seem to know nothing except killing.

Mass murder whether its a movie theatre, a school, seems to be almost commonplace. People can't find common ground and discuss or work things out. All societies around the world seem to be becoming more and more divisive, hateful, greedy, and selfish. 

Maybe it's time we all look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and ask some hard questions, like what is driving people to kill others, and act in such an inhuman way? Can't we all get along? The fact that anyone could rejoice in what happened shows humanity has some real deep seeded issues. 

I would think the fact that we are bombing them with bombers and drones has something to do with them wanting to kill us.

Last year we saw Israelis sit on the hills to watch missiles pounding into Gaza, laughing and celebrating. We rejoice when our enemies are killed. It's not uncommon.

Archived