The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Think Alex Edler is a Liability

Drewismyname

On 19/11/2015, 10:04:48, Jack Fig said:

He never was. The overrating of him on CDC over the years has been mind-numbing.

BS, there have been times he deserved all the good things said about him, and times he did not.  From 2007 through 2011, he was one of our better defensemen - but his play deteriorated as the effect of various injuries accumulated.  Now, like the rest of the Canucks D, he looks like he did under Torturella - he looks like a very nervous defenseman.  But then, so do they all.

At one point in his career, Edler was touted as one of the leagues best defensemen.

You think?

Edler, a liability?

This team has liabilities. Too many of them, from top to bottom at this point, collecting paycheques while playing indifferently and stupidly.

Edler, when he's at his worst, is not a liability.  He's a mole. He's a trojan horse. He directly helps the other team at the most crucial moment of a game with an unthinkably boneheaded play/turnover. It's even more glaring in the playoffs if you have watched his play closely for the past several years.

Never seen another 7+ year veteran dman so mentally incorrigible.

1 minute ago, 1-d said:

You think?

Edler, a liability?

This team has liabilities. Too many of them, from top to bottom. Collecting paycheques while playing indifferently and stupidly.

Edler, when he's at his worst, is not a liability.  He's a mole. He's a trojan horse. He directly helps the other team at the most crucial moment of a game with an unthinkable boneheaded play/turnover.

Never seen a 7-year veteran player so mentally incorrigible.

Okay.  But he's tall!  Sorry, but you really had that coming.

42 minutes ago, 1-d said:

You think?

Edler, a liability?

This team has liabilities. Too many of them, from top to bottom. Collecting paycheques while playing indifferently and stupidly.

Edler, when he's at his worst, is not a liability.  He's a mole. He's a trojan horse. He directly helps the other team at the most crucial moment of a game with an unthinkable boneheaded play/turnover.

Never seen a 7-year veteran player so mentally incorrigible.

Never seen such a bi-polar fan base. Half of you agree with me, the rest flat out rage, accusing me of insanity. Thanks. 

And Technically the title changed a few times. Deb added "I think". 

1 hour ago, Drewismyname said:

Never seen such a bi-polar fan base. Half of you agree with me, the rest flat out rage, accusing me of insanity. Thanks. 

And Technically the title changed a few times. Deb added "I think". 

The ones who agree with you are the smart ones. The other ones didn't get their Ritalin. 

Alex Edler is not the problem, people really need to stop finding a whipping boy. The team just doesn't have a strong defence, period. It's not Edler's fault it's just what does he have behind him. The defence is not in a good place right now with so many players with bumps and bruises. Tanev is not playing like Tanev right now. Hamhuis seems to have lost a step, Sbisa suddenly turned into Sami Salo, Hutton is still  arookie, Bartkowski makes his fare share of mistakes and Edler is not as aggressive as he should be. The Canucks woes can not be pinned on one defenceman, this is everyone combined.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Alex Edler is not the problem, people really need to stop finding a whipping boy. The team just doesn't have a strong defence, period. It's not Edler's fault it's just what does he have behind him. The defence is not in a good place right now with so many players with bumps and bruises. Tanev is not playing like Tanev right now. Hamhuis seems to have lost a step, Sbisa suddenly turned into Sami Salo, Hutton is still  arookie, Bartkowski makes his fare share of mistakes and Edler is not as aggressive as he should be. The Canucks woes can not be pinned on one defenceman, this is everyone combined.

Did you watch the video? It's a documentation of Edler handing other teams wins, in the past playoff series since 2011. These are for the most part individual mind gaffes (passing the other team the puck, screening his own goalie, not taking the man in front of the net, and my personal favorite getting danced at his own blue line)

My past posting history is proof I am not one of those posters who look for a whipping boy every year. In fact I defend most of them. I simply want to win the cup as a Canucks Fan and honestly that won't happen with a head case on the ice for important shifts. All the talent in the world but when the game goes to that next level, he folds. 

Guys like Jannik Hansen for example are the complete opposite. So so all year but every post season elevate their game. 

I agree, and the guy wastes shots like no other.  Been waiting for them to trade him for the last few seasons .. But I get it, when he's on his game he's reallllly good and a lot better than his value likely is on the market due to his inconsistency.

On 11/19/2015, 10:00:56, DIBdaQUIB said:

He plays better with less minutes.  Would be a good 2nd pairing D-man.

Regardless...he won't waive and we don't have anyone in the system capable of taking on #1 ice-time and duties.  JB has his work cut out for him.

On 11/19/2015, 10:11:15, DIBdaQUIB said:

Not just CDC...last night's announcers suggesting him for the All-Star game was mind-numbing, to say the least.  How humiliating for all of us to watch him get walked in a 3 on 3 competition.

On 11/19/2015, 10:11:25, Tre Mac said:

Him and Tanev have no business being a top pairing defensemen but when the rest of your D core resembles an AHL team, it is what it is.

On 11/19/2015, 10:24:21, Drfeelgood said:

He is careless,

turns over the puck,

Good coaching can solve this!

Fire the Coach!!!

On 11/19/2015, 10:38:54, TheAce said:

He's been making the same mistakes his entire career and there has always been an excuse for him. People look at his point totals ( which are inflated thanks to playing with the Sedins ) and they think he is a great offensive talent but his offensive skills are very limited. Edler should have been traded years ago

On 11/19/2015, 11:26:12, VanNuck said:

I've been a medium fan of Edler - he's supposed to be marked as a poor man's Lidstrom, and during his best days, he really was one of the top blueliners in the league.

In retrospect though, Edler benefited from having Luongo in net, plus Hamhuis and Bieksa in their peak days. Break up that core, let the others get older, everyone falls apart.

I think we are best off trading Edler and Vrbata, plus another forward for a real #1 blueliner. Edler is more likely than Hamhuis to fetch value in a trade. Edler would be best served playing somewhere where he doesn't have to be the number one guy.

On 11/19/2015, 11:34:44, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

great video, and yes you nailed it Edler needs to get outta here, now is the time to move him, atleast before Snow watches your video lol 

On 11/19/2015, 12:19:12, SergioMomesso said:

I'm pretty sure they would get by without him. Name me a 5-6 million dollar dman that consistently gives the puck away in his own end, get's 3 of 4 shots blocked, fumbles the puck numerous times at the blue line and throws 1 body check a game. One would think with all the games played under his belt he would figure out how to simplify his game and use his size to his advantage. For the amount of money he is getting paid. Edler is just not worth it. If he's making Bartkowski money, I can live with his mistakes. 

On 11/19/2015, 12:37:14, RonMexico said:

Don't bother Deb. The myopians cannot be reasoned with.

On 11/19/2015, 12:56:07, HK Phooey said:

Edler in the number 1 or number 2 spot is a liability...he's a second pairing d-man who has been miscast.  If the Canucks brass can land a d-man or two that can spell off Edler and Tanev to be the key shut-down guys, the Canucks would become instant contenders.  As they are now, they're not even pretenders.

On 11/19/2015, 1:20:07, N7Nucks said:

Edler just, just really grinds my gears. We have a 2nd pair playing top pairing minutes. We really miss the Hammer-Bieksa top pair. Too bad they got old. Worst part is we have no potential top pairing d-men stewing in the CHL, Europe, AHL etc. Nor do we have any reliable depth d-men floating around. Weber, Bart, and Sbisa are all pretty bleh that should stay away from the top 4.

On 11/19/2015, 1:33:27, Wild Sean Monahan said:

To be fair, Edler seems to be breaking a disproportionate number of sticks lately.

On 11/19/2015, 2:02:03, 37yrsncounting said:

Anyone notice that Edler can't skate? Espesciallly his ability to turn going backwards to forwards, thats why so many players walk right by him.  Problem is as the no 1 D on our team, he's giving away the puck way too often, this in itself alot of times will distract a team member or two wondering how he could give up the puck like that.  Playing with Tanev mask his deficiencies and at best he's playing llike a 5th or 6th D men and having him on the no.1 PP is basically the foundation of our power play issues      

On 11/19/2015, 2:19:01, Tech N9ne said:

You know, I hated edler before it was cool

On 11/19/2015, 2:20:22, HK Phooey said:

Not me.  I love Edler.  I just hate Edler in a top two role on the Canucks.

On 11/19/2015, 2:21:46, Shift-4 said:

Hate is a pretty strong term.
I will just say he has made me cringe for a very long time.

On 11/19/2015, 2:22:52, 37yrsncounting said:

No arguement here, I agree a lot of the canucks problems right now is no puck support, the players are just not moving their feet.  But Edler's issues are different, his miscues have nothing to do with others not in the right position, however, because I dont have any means in this forum to support my arguement, there is no point continuing.  If I did have past video, I'll show you time and time again, even if Edler is not under pressure, he fumbles the puck or passes it right to the opposition     

On 11/19/2015, 2:29:52, Chivas said:

I was worried at the start of the year, that the Canucks defense just wasn't good enough.  Then Hutton came along, I though they might be OK.  Then Edler started turning over the puck on a more consistent bases, with Hamhuis not that much better.   Both those guys are going to have to move the puck quicker, with more accuracy, and get their point shot thru at least the first defender  before the Canucks have any hope of making the playoffs.

On 11/19/2015, 2:38:35, Drewismyname said:

I'm saying that when a player is over their limit of mental stress they do things they don't normally do like give the other team the puck or lean too hard on their stick until it breaks etc. Clearly it was tough playing in Boston, no? Well, who was the first to fold to that pressure? I'd say it was Alex Edler. Again, opinion. Discussion board. 

I don't blame him for breaking the stick. I said, he must have leaned on it too hard, or "gripped his stick a bit too tight" as they're saying about Horvat recently, because of the pressure, leading it to break. 

He's just as bad if not worse than Luongo was for folding under pressure and that's the worst quality your best D man should have if you ask me. The team starts at the goalie and works it's way out from there. You have a headcase who can't withstand pressure at the defensive level, your scorers might as well stay home. 

The video was meant to illustrate this.

On 11/19/2015, 2:43:52, CanucksSayEh said:

Hes been our biggest reason for playoff failure since the finals. Lazy, soft boneheaded plays. Our worst post season performer since BOS. It's not because he's overworked, miscast ect. It's cuz hes baaad. He can't even put up points anymore, just gets spoonfed PP time only to put shots into the 1st shin pad in his way, then get burnt for SH chances. 

We don't have much to replace him with, but there was a time when we could have, back when it was clear Edler was going nowhere but downhill and we could still freely trade him. 

On 11/19/2015, 8:31:26, HK Phooey said:

Yah...the premise is off.  Edler is no throw-away, though when the bad Edler shows up, which is what OP's entirely focusing in on, Edler does tempt you to want to cut him loose for a bag of pucks.

On 11/19/2015, 9:34:46, Longtime Fan said:

IMO Edler is not "disinterested" in what happens.  He is not as good as management thinks he is.  He was fine with Sami Salo who was a very solid and steady player.  He is okay with Tanev as Tanev doesn't make too many mistakes.  But whenever Edler tries to carry the puck his deficiencies show up.  This season has not been good to him and he has to realize what his limitations are.

On 11/20/2015, 8:06:38, PhillipBlunt said:

But those aforementioned defensemen also respond to high pressure situations much more effectively then Edler does. Every player makes mistakes. It's how they respond to them. 

On 11/20/2015, 11:13:39, TheAce said:

Not sure if you watched the Toronto game , but during the intermission the panel showed 4 turnovers by canuck players and 3 of them were by Edler. Then they laughed because they said that the NHL stat guys only have Vancouver with 1 official turnover. its not a stat that they pay close attention to and its very subjective as compared to +/- where its black and white. You were on the ice when a goal went in or not.

On 11/20/2015, 11:38:29, PhillipBlunt said:

With Edler, it's not the percentage of giveaways that I find to be the issue, it's how they occur. The blind passes are irresponsible for a player of his tenure. 

I'm not sure if he's injured or still suffering through back spasms but he doesn't really display a sense of urgency most nights, especially when falling back to defend a breakaway. 

Edler doesn't really have a whole lot of intensity to his game and that is what keeps him from moving into the upper echelon of NHL defensemen. 

On 11/20/2015, 2:52:35, Rocksterh8 said:

I think they should try Edler on the wing. He has good size, decent shot and his mistakes won't be as fatal.

On 11/20/2015, 7:19:18, 1-d said:

You think?

Edler, a liability?

This team has liabilities. Too many of them, from top to bottom at this point, collecting paycheques while playing indifferently and stupidly.

Edler, when he's at his worst, is not a liability.  He's a mole. He's a trojan horse. He directly helps the other team at the most crucial moment of a game with an unthinkably boneheaded play/turnover. It's even more glaring in the playoffs if you have watched his play closely for the past several years.

Never seen another 7+ year veteran dman so mentally incorrigible.

Good to see some level headed Canucks fans who can see this guy for what he is. Take away the hits in 2009 vs Doughty and a few hits on Kaner in the 2010 post season, and this guy is an absent minded gentle giant.

If tonights game has more than one GA on Vancouver and Edler isn't on the ice for either of them, I will never post in Canucks Talk again.

2 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Good to see some level headed Canucks fans who can see this guy for what he is. Take away the hits in 2009 vs Doughty and a few hits on Kaner in the 2010 post season, and this guy is an absent minded gentle giant.

If tonights game has more than one GA and Edler isn't on the ice for either of them, I will never post in Canucks Talk again.

How bloody long did it take you to make that post?  Do you really think that us guys (girls too) really know jack sh*t about hockey compared with JBWD and TL?  We are posters here BECAUSE WE ARE FANATICS.  Using posters as evidence of hockey knowledge is really a contradiction.  Edler is a well respected player in NHL circles, because THEY BELIEVE HES A GOOD PLAYER.  We are fans, and expect our guys to be perfect, and to never make mistakes.  Vey sucks and so does Baertchi.  There you can quote me.

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How bloody long did it take you to make that post?  Do you really think that us guys (girls too) really know jack sh*t about hockey compared with JBWD and TL?  We are posters here BECAUSE WE ARE FANATICS.  Using posters as evidence of hockey knowledge is really a contradiction.  Edler is a well respected player in NHL circles, because THEY BELIEVE HES A GOOD PLAYER.  We are fans, and expect our guys to be perfect, and to never make mistakes.  Vey sucks and so does Baertchi.  There you can quote me.

Well, as it is a discussion board, we have to assume that opinions matter to some degree, or else why even post our own opinions? 

4 minutes ago, Drewismyname said:

Well, as it is a discussion board, we have to assume that opinions matter to some degree, or else why even post our own opinions? 

Yes, they matter.  But really they don't mean a whole heck of a lot.  If they counted for anything in reality, could you imagine the nightmares created by Elvis 15?  Your opinion is yours, and does not need validation.  I disagree with you about Edler.  I think he's okay, and adds to our team.  we need his size, and the minutes he plays.  This does not diminish your opinion in any way.  It's just different.  I like these boards, and if posters left because their opinion was proven incorrect, there would be none of us here!  I would be an even lonelier little furry assed alien. 

now, regardless of Edler's play tonight you are staying!   There, Alf has spoken.  (Elvis, you leave.^_^). Talking this way makes me hungry.  Time for my pre-game meal - come here kitty!

He's alright. Been overrated by many on this board for years but has received more than a fair share of flack for his flaws. He does do a lot of things right when his head is in the game but more often than not it seems as if his confidence can be called into question and it hinders his play tremendously. The guy needs to keep it simple. Being so thin on the blue line puts him in a role he may not be suited to fill (top 2 pairing/#1 PP) and you can't really fault him because you have to make due with what you have and he is the closest thing to a #1 d the Canucks have.

I think what's happened is Gillis raised the hype about him. One year, Gillis suggested that Edler could become our Lindstrom. I think people ran with that idea and have been disappointed with him not being able to pole vault into outer space.

It's easy at that point to pick apart a player that doesn't meet one's expectations. It's easy to point out every flaw and ignore when a player does something right. This is especially the case for a defender where doing things right often means you don't see things at all.

The reality is every player makes mistakes. They're human. While it's your opinion op, and you have every right to it, I see your post as pointing out every flaw rather than looking at things objectively. The only thing you've proven is how Edler is not the next Lindstrom. He's not. He's Edler. He has his ups and down just like any other defender in the NHL.

Archived