The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC closing down comments section on Indigenous stories due to high racism

20 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Its a fine line though - they were here first after all. I understand owing them something and I understand having to work on fixing our relationship with the Aboriginals when you really understand how much damage Canada did to them. 

With that said, its really hard to sell the public on having to pay extra taxes to so that Aboriginal students can take University spots from students with higher grades and actually funding their own education.

Unfortunately the entire system has been dealt with extremely poorly. Canada screwed over the Aboriginals, then they screwed over themselves. Unfortunately it falls on us to pay for those mistakes.

you echo my sentiments: people in a democracy need to believe opportunity is equal.  Regardless of past events, we move forward focussing on equal opportunity.  This is why CBC had so many negative comments on their boards.  The citizens believe their democracy provides unfair opportunity.  

I wonder how many natives make racist comments on the CBC stories to cause a bigger rift between the biggots on both sides. I mean whenever I read anything on CBC I always see comments from people that are claiming that someone commenting who identifies themselves as native is not. I suppose there are also natives that pretend to be racist white people too. I mean it is the Internet and there is no way to really tell. But I'd be pretty curious to see what those stats are. 

12 hours ago, Fateless said:

This is a great ideal and what we should strive for. There is a problem with the way our systems are currently set up though. There are TONS of exceptions to this rule. Many people have more rights and benefits in society than others. People always say that middle-age white males have it best, but the fact is they actually have the least amount of access to benefits - minorities have an abundance of advantages which are put in place to over-correct for historical disadvantages. 

The problem is that groups aren't happy with merely being treated as equals - they want compensation for the time they weren't treated as equals. Is it fair to expect compensation for poor treatment? I think the answer is yes, but only to an extent - and certainly not for an indefinite period of time. 

To put it more bluntly - groups want more power, whether they are actually entitled to it or not.

Take these two groups for example

-Black Lives Matter

-NeoFeminists

With both of these groups, their concern for 'equality' is only skin deep. They merely want to advance their agenda and influence over society. Both of these groups have invented false data and sensationalized the issues that are part of reality to the point where it has simply caused more divisiveness among everyone.

Promoting false narratives such as 'everyone is out to get black people' or 'women are systematically oppressed' is such disingenuous garbage, and stances like this are the real source of bigotry and hatred. Gender and skin colour do not define an individual's identity, they are each just one component of that identity. Collectivist crap like this dehumanizes people.

12 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

To put it more bluntly - groups want more power, whether they are actually entitled to it or not.

Take these two groups for example

-Black Lives Matter

-NeoFeminists

With both of these groups, their concern for 'equality' is only skin deep. They merely want to advance their agenda and influence over society. Both of these groups have invented false data and sensationalized the issues that are part of reality to the point where it has simply caused more divisiveness among everyone.

Promoting false narratives such as 'everyone is out to get black people' or 'women are systematically oppressed' is such disingenuous garbage, and stances like this are the real source of bigotry and hatred. Gender and skin colour do not define an individual's identity, they are each just one component of that identity. Collectivist crap like this dehumanizes people.

Yeah, preach brother! Tell me more about how you can speak for huge groups of people in exactly the same way you criticize them of doing.

4 hours ago, LarsEller said:

I wonder how many natives make racist comments on the CBC stories to cause a bigger rift between the biggots on both sides. I mean whenever I read anything on CBC I always see comments from people that are claiming that someone commenting who identifies themselves as native is not. I suppose there are also natives that pretend to be racist white people too. I mean it is the Internet and there is no way to really tell. But I'd be pretty curious to see what those stats are. 

The stats on people who lie on the internet? Lol I'd go ahead and assumes 100% and be pleasantly surprised if it's anything else.

1 hour ago, inane said:

The stats on people who lie on the internet? Lol I'd go ahead and assumes 100% and be pleasantly surprised if it's anything else.

No I meant stats on the percentage of racist comments about natives being made by natives to make everyone else look bad and the percentage of non natives making racist comments about everyone else to make the natives look bad. 

32 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

No I meant stats on the percentage of racist comments about natives being made by natives to make everyone else look bad and the percentage of non natives making racist comments about everyone else to make the natives look bad. 

Are you for real?

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Which group was before them, dinosaurs?

People have been "displacing' other people from the beginning of time. Had no European settlers made it into what has become British Columbia it is likely that the individual tribe from the Queen Charlotte Islands, or Hiada Gwaii(sp) for you younger folk, would have taken over the whole coast. They had been raiding and pillaging the coast for years. Perhaps the Namgis people would have been able to resist but perhaps not. Slave taking, burnings and killing the enemy are not exclusively European tendencies.

One can make an argument that currently Europeans are being displaced in this province by "Asian settlers" even as we speak.

Change is constant.

16 hours ago, Fateless said:

Its a fine line though - they were here first after all. I understand owing them something and I understand having to work on fixing our relationship with the Aboriginals when you really understand how much damage Canada did to them. 

With that said, its really hard to sell the public on having to pay extra taxes to so that Aboriginal students can take University spots from students with higher grades and actually funding their own education.

Unfortunately the entire system has been dealt with extremely poorly. Canada screwed over the Aboriginals, then they screwed over themselves. Unfortunately it falls on us to pay for those mistakes.

The monies made from industries and resources on disputed territories more than cover all monies spent on Aboriginals. That means that not one cent of your taxes go to them. It's just another false assumption that people make to justify their viewpoints.

Another thing, most aboriginals work and pay taxes. In order for an aboriginal to be exempt from paying taxes he/she must work and live on government acknowledged Aboriginal land. If they live on band land and work outside of it, they must pay taxes. Conversely, if they live off reserve and work on band land they still must pay taxes. I only mention this because it is another false assumption that I hear people making when discussing this subject.

16 hours ago, Fateless said:

The number of spots reserved for aboriginal students is so small, it seems like the least we can do. Canadians, as a whole, profit so much from what they've taken from aboriginal people. Providing a few extra spots in universities, so that those people can back into their communities with some kind of education, seems like a no brainer.

IMO, the hostility towards Natives has as much to do with the fact that they're a socially acceptable scapegoat for any and all life's problems, in a culture with few social outlets for anger, as it has to do with resentment over perceived or actual benefits.

55 minutes ago, taxi said:

The number of spots reserved for aboriginal students is so small, it seems like the least we can do. Canadians, as a whole, profit so much from what they've taken from aboriginal people. Providing a few extra spots in universities, so that those people can back into their communities with some kind of education, seems like a no brainer.

Why in a country where equality is the goal do we continue to promote inequality? Take for example law schools - this was something that I had to deal with when getting into law school. There are a limited number of seats (typically between 100-200 seats a year, per school). You have the top percentage of students fighting for those spots every year as many schools receive nearly 4-5x more applications than they can offer seats to. Of those schools, most require an LSAT of over 160 and a GPA of around 3.7 (both numbers are on average across the country).

Then you have the Aboriginal Application which merely requires "a valid LSAT score" and "60 credits towards a degree" to be considered - and quite often accepted even if their numbers are significantly below the average non-aboriginal application.

How is this going to help quell the divide between Aboriginals and Non-Aboriginals? All this does is promote frustration and disdain towards a community that gets "benefits" that the rest of us don't. Do you know how many of the "scholarships" have pre-requisites of being Aboriginal? Over 50%. You have ridiculous numbers of students nearing $100k in student loans, and then you have Aboriginal Students who already have their education paid for getting free money.

Again - I'm not saying Canada doesn't owe them anything. I just have a hard time seeing how this system is ever going to promote unity between Aboriginals and the rest of Canada. 

5 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Why in a country where equality is the goal do we continue to promote inequality? Take for example law schools - this was something that I had to deal with when getting into law school. There are a limited number of seats (typically between 100-200 seats a year, per school). You have the top percentage of students fighting for those spots every year as many schools receive nearly 4-5x more applications than they can offer seats to. Of those schools, most require an LSAT of over 160 and a GPA of around 3.7 (both numbers are on average across the country).

Then you have the Aboriginal Application which merely requires "a valid LSAT score" and "60 credits towards a degree" to be considered - and quite often accepted even if their numbers are significantly below the average non-aboriginal application.

How is this going to help quell the divide between Aboriginals and Non-Aboriginals? All this does is promote frustration and disdain towards a community that gets "benefits" that the rest of us don't. Do you know how many of the "scholarships" have pre-requisites of being Aboriginal? Over 50%. You have ridiculous numbers of students nearing $100k in student loans, and then you have Aboriginal Students who already have their education paid for getting free money.

Again - I'm not saying Canada doesn't owe them anything. I just have a hard time seeing how this system is ever going to promote unity between Aboriginals and the rest of Canada. 

I graduated from law school. They only have a few spots reserved for those aboriginal students. Those spots are extra on top of the spots for regular applications. They in no way impacted your ability to get into law school. If they got rid of those spots, which have their own funding, the spots would simply cease to exist, and you'd have the same troubles getting into law school. From UBC's site:

Applying to the Indigenous Legal Studies Program

Applicants who self-identify as a Canadian Aboriginal within the First Nations, Métis or Inuit communities are encouraged to apply in the Indigenous category. These applicants will automatically be considered in the regular category as well.

It's a specific program, with a limited number of spots. It also has a specific curriculum designed to allow aboriginal people to return to and help the communities they come from. Once again it in no way impacts the ability of "regular category" students to get into law school.

How can we have equality, when we have entire communities devastated by historical injustice? How is someone supposed to be equal when their parents grew up in a residential school and now nothing but abuse? All their neighbours parents grew up in a residential school? They live on land that was given to them via the reserve system, because essentially no one else wanted it.

We can deal with this a few ways, as a society. Have entire communities dependent on a welfare system. Or we can provide them with the means to better themselves, via education. The only disdain providing education is going to promote is in people who are already biased and merely looking for an excuse to vent.

32 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Seriously? It's the Internet. It definitely is happening. I'm just interested in knowing how much. 

I'd like to know what % of native internet users who are actually Koreans logged in under a second account, pretending to be white people who are speaking on behalf of native people vs the % of non-native internet users who are actually black, but pretending to be maori prentending to be native.

I think we can really get some good info that way.

Archived