The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the Plan Should Be: Trade Vbata, Burrows, Higgins, Prust and Hamhuis

Start playing Vrbata with the twins so his point production goes up before the TDL and trade expiring vets. This year they should be trading Vrbata, Hamhuis (retaining salary from both to drive up the value) and Prust. Then the following year do the same with Burrows and Higgins. Retaining salary isn't a big issue for Vancouver as they'd have the space and it would only be on the books for the rest of this year. For playoff teams like Montreal Vrbata 50% retained or Dallas Hamhuis 50% retained could fit into their lineups today which should definitely bring more value to our return.

20 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Start playing Vrbata with the twins so his point production goes up before the TDL and trade expiring vets. This year they should be trading Vrbata, Hamhuis (retaining salary from both to drive up the value) and Prust. Then the following year do the same with Burrows and Higgins. Retaining salary isn't a big issue for Vancouver as they'd have the space and it would only be on the books for the rest of this year. For playoff teams like Montreal Vrbata 50% retained or Dallas Hamhuis 50% retained could fit into their lineups today which should definitely bring more value to our return.

Most of us can't stomach another year of higgins and the way burr is playing same for him, id move them as well before they're worth even less. agree with your post tho.

I wonder what it would cost to get McCarron out of Montreal.

Here is my take on this trading veterans.  It is up to an individual to step up this year and if one of the veterans stand out and is not on expiring contract, I would keep him for one more year.  If all veterans don't step up by the end of February, I do not see them staying past beyond trade deadlines.  

To expect returns back is up to their play.   I can see some of them come out of the slump and start a streak, such as Vrbata and Hamhuis.   Hamhuis is in declining but I suspect that he has not fully recovered from his injury early in the season and is playing through the pain without us ever knowing about it.  

Unless Prust is resigned, I can see him shipping out for a lesser value back at the deadlines.   Benning might want to keep him only if two of those following: resign him to a new contract before the deadlines and/or is in the race for a playoff spot no more than a few points behind.   Benning probably would rather to be in playoffs to please the owner.  

Most likely deadline trade block (if we are a few points out) are: Vrbata, Hamhuis, and/or Prust.   I don't see other veterans being shipped out such as Higgins, and Burrows because their contract is not expiring after this season even though I wanted Higgins to be gone badly since the season started.  We must face the reality on what Benning is most likely to do during the transition years.   He probably will surprise us, good or bad, before the deadlines with unexpected asset being traded away.

In a cap world no teams have any room to move. You get in return the same as you trade away, except in the case of a gm wanting a certain player he thinks fills a void in his team and he can make the numbers work. If you're expecting future assets or an instant contender by moving these guys, you're living in a fantasy. If we're lucky they'll move Hamhuis and Vrbata at the deadline. What's so bad about Prust anyway? Do you expect him to fight twice a game or score hattricks? 

3 hours ago, Zuongo said:

The reality is that most of these guys won't fetch much anymore.... Hammer is a shell of his Olympic self and I just can't see us getting a kings ransom for any of these guys. So don't get your expectations too high on the return.... It won't be much.

this is why Benning and management needs to be blamed. These guys should of been dealt in the off season instead management had pipe dreams of a stanely cup.

10 minutes ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

this is why Benning and management needs to be blamed. These guys should of been dealt in the off season instead management had pipe dreams of a stanely cup.

Captain Hindsight at your service!

33 minutes ago, CrashNBash said:

In a cap world no teams have any room to move. You get in return the same as you trade away, except in the case of a gm wanting a certain player he thinks fills a void in his team and he can make the numbers work. If you're expecting future assets or an instant contender by moving these guys, you're living in a fantasy. If we're lucky they'll move Hamhuis and Vrbata at the deadline. What's so bad about Prust anyway? Do you expect him to fight twice a game or score hattricks? 

Well there are some variables to take into account which I feel some people don't look into these concepts. So the Canucks have played 28 games which is approximately 34% of the season. So teams don't have to try to fit Vrbata's 5 million they have to fit 66% of 5 million which is about 3.3 million and the Canucks could also eat 50% of the contract. Which means a team only needs 1.65 million in cap space for Vrbata today even less if they're sending a roster player back in the deal. 

5 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

It’s pretty clear right now - even with the Canucks being mathematically in a playoff – that Vancouver will not be doing much even if they do by some miracle get in to the playoffs.

This team is aging, but I won’t waste anyone’s time heading down that road, but getting younger and clearing cap room should be the No. 1 priority this season.  

Here’s what Benning should do between now and the deadline to get this team ready for next season.

Ship out Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Prust and Hamhuis

-          Vrbata, he’s on an expiring contract and in reality, there’s probably, two-to-three guys in Utica capable of chipping in his -17 with 12 points type of play. I was hopeful Vancouver could have got a first for him, but with his play, he’s more a take what you can get. Maybe by paying some salary they could land a second or a solid prospect for him, but at this point I’m guessing a third-round pick is his value.

-        -  I’m a big Burrows fan, so this is a tough decision, but his ship has sailed in Vancouver.  Why pay a player the remainder of this season and next 4.5 million to put up 35ish points. And in all honesty, I used to notice Burrows every game, this I MIGHT notice him ever fourth game. As far as value, I think his is similar to Vrbata’s value.

-         -  I’d like to trade Higgins, but I’m not sure there is demand for him based on his play this year. Put the feelers out there and if there’s no interest waive him and send him to Uticia.  I’d rather watch Gaunce learn the NHL game than Higgins forget it.

-         - Prust hasn’t been too bad at hockey this season. He tries hard, but there are a lot of times I’m left scratching my head, wondering, “Why the heck are you fighting now”? For all the fights he’s been in and all the so called toughness he provides that Vancouver is any tougher as a team. He’s a big part of Vancouver being third in the NHL in penalty minutes, yet still being considered by a lot of people as the NHL softest team. Add in, he’s an expiring contact, and at 31 the type of guy you don’t want to sign long-term, and you have to move him. As far as value, getting a fourth or fifth round pick would be a win.  

-        -  For all the heat he’s taken as of late, he’s still tops on the Canucks defence in +/-, so he hasn’t been that terrible. He’s still only 32 and a player that I’d talk about a three year extension with at around the same money. But since I think it’s higher unlikely he’d re-sign for 14 million over 3 years, ask him where he wants to play and move him. I bet they could get a decent package out of Chicago if they retain salary or take Bickell back.

All in all, I think by making these moves you can hopefully land a few more decent draft picks, clear more cap room for 2016-17 and give some of the younger guys in Uticia some NHL experience.

4 of the 5 players you expect Benning to move for draft picks have no trade clauses ? Ya, let me know how that works out. 

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

Most of us can't stomach another year of higgins and the way burr is playing same for him, id move them as well before they're worth even less. agree with your post tho.

I wonder what it would cost to get McCarron out of Montreal.

I can't even imagine a deal for McCarron that makes sense for both teams. He's exactly the kind of player Montreal has been looking for for years. He's 6'6" 230lbs who can skate and has top six skills 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

I can't even imagine a deal for McCarron that makes sense for both teams. He's exactly the kind of player Montreal has been looking for for years. He's 6'6" 230lbs who can skate and has top six skills 

He can skate, yes.  He's not exactly what one would call an NHL skater.  It will take him a lot to get his skating to that level.  Plus, he's a lot bigger than the players in Junior, so he can get to the scoring spots by brute force.  This won't work in the NHL.  He's an interesting prospect, but is far from a certainty as an NHL top six player.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on picks, I'm betting JB is looking at prospects in the 20-22 range as more attractive targets.

Hi Stawns

Not trying to rain on your parade, and I do agree with you............he is looking and so is every other GM looking for teams to drop prospects that have proven they can score or play defense.....

Consider is Bo was on slate for 45 points.........how much would it cost to get him? Heck, how much would it cost now!

No slight intended, but teams just won't give them away, unless there is Huge over payment....just don't think that's going to happen.

I think the only way to build in this day and age is through the draft.....grow your own......

I do think however, that instead of trying to get 3 or 4 UFA's at the end of this year, we should really try to conserve our cash flow for a couple of years and then go after 1 or 2 Large UFA's...absolutely no NTC until we get a player that shows his skill is worth it.....

I really do think this will be a 4 or 5 year process

This is only the start of the pain....but we can do it....just no trading assets for short term gain right now

32 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I want everyone without a contract gone but that won't happen. TBH i highly doubt Hammer or Vrbata will be traded because they want a winning environment with leadership. So 

I not trying to put down your point........but define "leadership", because I honestly don't think Vrbata shows leadership.....Hamhuis does........I think you also have to wonder where the "winning environment " will come from

It will take some time to dig out of this...."IF" we are trying to build a "contending" team........my worry is pressure will come from Aquallini  to make the playoffs asap

Time will tell.............

14 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well there are some variables to take into account which I feel some people don't look into these concepts. So the Canucks have played 28 games which is approximately 34% of the season. So teams don't have to try to fit Vrbata's 5 million they have to fit 66% of 5 million which is about 3.3 million and the Canucks could also eat 50% of the contract. Which means a team only needs 1.65 million in cap space for Vrbata today even less if they're sending a roster player back in the deal. 

That's true, Vrbata could be worth something, but it's probably to early to tank the season. 

Archived