The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Maybe Pedan not perfect, but he shows what this team has been lacking

*Buzzsaw*

4 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Watching the Edmonton game and Pedan really brought home what the Canucks have been lacking for a long time.

That being a physical defenseman.  Sure Alex Edler was that kind of player when he started, but he stopped being dominant after his back injury in 2011, he really has not been the same since.  And Dan Hamhuis, who isn't the biggest guy but who used to hit a lot, has also tailed off since he was injured after the hit on Lucic.  And of course, Willy Mitchell has been gone since 2010...  :(

We really haven't had a defenseman who could just KNOCK an opposing forward off the puck... not have to struggle to contain them.

Not that I'm saying Pedan is the solution right now, he is clearly not the fastest guy on the ice, and his decision making is sometimes a little slow, but just watching him lay the body put a smile on my face.  If he can continue to develop, he will bring the much needed extra dimension of physicality to the Canuck's back end.

From my perspective, the Canucks are actually reasonably well set up right now for puck moving defensemen, with Hutton, Tanev and Edler, but what they desperately need is a big tough D man who can lay down the law along the boards.  This has to be one of the highest priorities going forward into the draft or when looking at free agents.

I've been tearing my hair out in this for years on your very point,even when Vancouver last went to the Cup.

You're right about Pedan, not perfect but he will grow. ( Playing Edmonton he stopped the player moving the puck dead in their tracks taking that player 100%out of the play.

i think WD managed his time well. He'll be needed big time tonight and hopefully WD has reason to play him more. 

For his size thecan fly. 

Is havent seen too many Utica games but man o man I loved watching him play. Forget the tank nation. Im causally optimistic that when everyone gets back we could have a legitimate playoff team. Im not going to say contender. But a team that deserves to be in the playoffs thats for sure.

1 hour ago, davydgoliath said:

Pedan is a stay at home defenseman. Not exactly comparable to Mallet who's a forward. Were you thinking of MacKenzie Stewart or Stewart MacKenzie can't remember the order 

I think the comparison to Mallet was made because Mallet went to the Isles in the trade that brought us Pedan. 

Just now, MickVega said:

I think the comparison to Mallet was made because Mallet went to the Isles in the trade that brought us Pedan. 

Bingo.

Yeah, the comparison is that Pedan is a big D-Man who is playing in the NHL for us now and looks NHL bound for next season whereas Mallet could barely cut it out at the AHL level, is currently toiling away at the ECHL level, and isn't even on an NHL contract anymore.

Pedan looks like a hitting monster compared to most of the D on the team.  Guys like Bartkowski, Weber, Tanev dont intimidate anyone.  Hamhuis has that hip check, but even RNH isnt afraid to fight him.  RNH!

Makes me wish for the days Jovocop was on the blue line, he could turn a game around with a thunderous hit and wasnt afraid to drop the gloves.

The biggest holes in this organization are on defence.  How quickly Benning can rebuild the defence will determine when this team will be taken seriously again.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Too bad the defense is decimated. 

Pedan could be given protected minutes so we could better gague his readiness.  Work him into the lineup gradually would be the preferred scenario as opposed to an emergency call up situation. 

He had protected minutes against the Oilers ( only 10:48 of ice time) I'd like to see him get more minutes, sure he might make some mistakes, but c'mon can anyone be worse than Weber out there?

Also like how the Comets picked up a coupla' vet D(tryouts) who seem to be faring well. It's smart that they left vacancies(lineup flexibility) to see where the biggest wave of injuries land.

This fact, coupled with a tamer sched(next few wks) & the organization just might weather the storm.

When(if) the lineup ever gets healthy, package off some surplus pieces for a big(not necc skilled) knuckle-draggin, D-man. Maybe Tinordi from Habs?

1 hour ago, Fizzure said:

I love Sbisa but im a homer when it comes to dmen that can hit. I would gladly trade every point that Edler has scored for a repeat of the day he almost ended Kanes life. : P 

That and Mitchell on Toews...2 of the best Canucks hits in recent memory

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Also like how the Comets picked up a coupla' vet D(tryouts) who seem to be faring well. It's smart that they left vacancies(lineup flexibility) to see where the biggest wave of injuries land.

This fact, coupled with a tamer sched(next few wks) & the organization just might weather the storm.

When(if) the lineup ever gets healthy, package off some surplus pieces for a big(not necc skilled) knuckle-draggin, D-man. Maybe Tinordi from Habs?

Is that the same Tinordi that Padan KOd?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is that the same Tinordi that Padan KOd?  

Yeah Alf, we all saw that rocker..but these things happen-just as Pedan got nailed by Bickell. Who knows? Maybe Tinordi might take down Bickell next time, if they rumbled?

Bottom line is I'd like to see our 7, 8 depth-guys feature some size & grit. Should have a couple on both teams.

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yeah Alf, we all saw that rocker..but these things happen-just as Pedan got nailed by Bickell. Who knows? Maybe Tinordi might take down Bickell next time, if they rumbled?

Bottom line is I'd like to see our 7, 8 depth-guys feature some size & grit. Should have a couple on both teams.

We got to have some grit and toughness in our top four too.  Hell, I'd love to see all our players have Iginla toughness.  If this Tinordi can skate well enough, maybe he could play more than bottom pairing?

I'm loving Pedan so far. Also he is our first ever Lithuanian player on this team which is cool. We had a Latvian and a Lithuanian play on the same team in the same game the other night which I think is an NHL first. Both of them play a lot tougher than most of our North American players. Hmmm.

I'm probably reading too much into it, but Benning could be a complete genius when he traded a 3rd rounder to get Pedan to mentor Tryamkin. Pedan speaks fluent English and would be able to make the transition easier for the big man. I'd trade Bartkowski and Weber for Pedan and Tryamkin in a heartbeat.

I hope he can excel while he has the opportunity and give management the drive to sign the big Russian. I want the twin towers in Vancouver. It's been awhile since we had a Russian in our lineup and it would look nice if those 2 can live up to potential.

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Too bad the defense is decimated. 

Pedan could be given protected minutes so we could better gague his readiness.  Work him into the lineup gradually would be the preferred scenario as opposed to an emergency call up situation. 

Wouldn't you say his <10 minutes vs. the Oilers is Willie's way of sheltering Pedan?  

I think we've got a real good one in Pedan.  The thing that surprised me the most was how well he moved and kept the play in front of him most of the time.

3 minutes ago, HK Phooey said:

Wouldn't you say his <10 minutes vs. the Oilers is Willie's way of sheltering Pedan?  

Time-wise yeah, somewhat protected minutes.  Was referring more to the fact that with the regulars out of the line up on defence the ability for Lidster to pick spots for the big guy must have been quite limiting. 

Archived