The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hypothetical question

slickjim23

Win a cup, losing seasons thereafter or Winning seasons every year but never win a cup  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Would you rather be the Maple Leafs or the Canucks in other words 

Pretty much. Like starting from 1967 for the Maple Leafs minus the times they've actually made the playoffs and only winning 1 cup in their existence or being the San Jose Sharks/Canucks

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Stanley Cup is all that matters.

1 hour ago, Jiggs50 said:

Cup. Just 1 freaking time. The Stanley Cup!!!!

1 hour ago, homersexual said:

just one before I die.

1 hour ago, combover said:

Hope your young....;)

I'm not!, and we win the cup within 5 years!

1 hour ago, VanNuck said:

It means the world to win even ONE cup, no question.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Winning the Stanley Cup is the ultimate winning season.

GO CANUCKS GO! :canucks::towel:

As a fan, yeah, it would be nice to have a team which won at least one Cup. As fans of a team which had won a Cup, but was never going to repeat that, wouldn't that lead to a lack of interest from the fanbase  starting the year after that Cup victory? Wouldn't most (say 90+%?) of the people here screw off and go watch/support other teams or sports after that one Cup win?

As an owner, or, assuming I was an owner, why would I continue to pay for a team in this city? A team which would never have a sniff at the playoffs let alone a "winning" season, for the rest of its existence? As a side thought here, would this perpetual losing be restricted solely to the Vancouver Canucks franchise (and the city of Vancouver), or could the Canucks be moved to some other hockey hotbed (say New Orleans) where they could continue to lose, and then a whole new team could be brought in who would then have a shot at winning it all? :)

I can see it now, the fans who supported the Cup win of 20XX are having their annual get together to cheer for their heroes who brought the Cup to Vancouver. Sadly, there is only six of them still alive to come to the event... that's fans, not the players. All the guys on that team passed away a couple of decades ago from old age.

It's the not knowing, and the hoping that maybe this is the year, that makes watching sports and supporting a team, an interesting and fun thing to do. Your questions kill that fun..

regards, G.

I dunno, I enjoy the sport of hockey and the Canucks are far and away my favourite team. As much as a Cup would mean for the franchise I don't think it's worth sacrificing long term future success for. 

I think part of this mentality kind of stems from the fact that I think the Cup is just as much of a trophy of attrition and luck than it is talent and skill.

On that basis I would support having a successful regular season team every year even if we never won a Cup in my lifetime.

27 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Ahh, bologna.

You want to tank so we can rebuild for a cup, yet don't want a cup followed by a few tank years? 

Barzal, you want a tank and you've posted it.

So I gather you want an endlessly boring, second round losing, tank team that will draft really high to make the playoffs every year and never win a cup... OK. 

Archived