The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was this legal?

key2thecup

I walk out my property, see three cop cars to my left, walk past them to the right side of my home like I always do to have a smoke. The cop cars go hard in reverse and roll through my alley flashing their lights looking for someone. Then go in reverse and pull back onto the mainroad, as I'm walking out (done smoking), one of them rolls up on me, jumps out lol and yells "put your hands up". Make's me put my hands up, turn around, wait for the other two cars. Then I get questioned as to what I'm doing.
I tell em I'm having a smoke on my own property, and they start saying how weird it is I'm going to the side of my home blah blah blah, ask me for ID on my own property to prove it's my property. Then finally say there's been break and enter's in the neighbourhood and I was suspicious and that's why they questioned me. I never showed ID the guy told me it's good and I can go

So what's the problem? They're in your neighbourhood trying to catch a burglar, I'd happily show my ID and thank them for showing up to keep the neighbourhood safe.

Obviously there was something going on, 3 cop cars all at once. Cooperate and move on. 

The "there has been reports of ______ crime in the area and you fit the description" is a classic with cops. 

Apparently they seem to think that gives them reason to ask for ID or question you. It doesn't. 

If you don't want to stick around or have them hassle you, just ask "am I being detained". 

If they say no, you are free to go. If they say yes, ask them what crime you are being accused of committing. "Because you are a suspicious person/acting suspicious" doesn't count as a reason.

Now before the butt hurt people come in saying, its much easier to cooperate or if you have nothing to hide then show them ID, give them an explanation....it's the principle of the matter.

How far are you willing to go to have your rights stepped on?

Look at our neighbors to the south, Patriot Act, NDAA, Random Check Points. Prime example of how far it can go. 

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

The "there has been reports of ______ crime in the area and you fit the description" is a classic with cops. 

Apparently they seem to think that gives them reason to ask for ID or question you. It doesn't. 

If you don't want to stick around or have them hassle you, just ask "am I being detained". 

If they say no, you are free to go. If they say yes, ask them what crime you are being accused of committing. "Because you are a suspicious person/acting suspicious" doesn't count as a reason.

Now before the butt hurt people come in saying, its much easier to cooperate or if you have nothing to hide then show them ID, give them an explanation....it's the principle of the matter.

Look at our neighbors to the south, Patriot Act, NDAA, Random Check Points. Prime example of how far it can go. 

Basically what I asked/said.

2 minutes ago, TheFirstLine said:

Are you black ? 

Edit- nvm this isn't America 

No but colored in Surrey.

Boom.

End of Thread.

Cops in the Lower Mainland really need to get off their high horse. They think that they are the law (granted, they are), but they don't need to be so demanding and up to your face to show that they have power and abuse it however way they want. Just irritating to see and watch.

30 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

Cops in the Lower Mainland really need to get off their high horse. They think that they are the law (granted, they are), but they don't need to be so demanding and up to your face to show that they have power and abuse it however way they want. Just irritating to see and watch.

Mostly Mounties, I don't find this issue nearly as bad with the civic forces. That being said there's a few bad apples just like in any field of work.

1 hour ago, RRypien37 said:

The problem is with a lot of people with your attitude is they dont understand the law and think they dont have to listen to or respect cops at all and then try to go public with their experience on camera or whatever and end up looking like idiots. it goes both ways and i find more often than not when u see these videos its the people filming it just being difficult while being smart asses trying to provoke the cops. lots of times those videos dont show what happened before or after. just my opinion

On 1/16/2016 at 3:17 AM, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Mostly Mounties, I don't find this issue nearly as bad with the civic forces. That being said there's a few bad apples just like in any field of work.

They need to stop protecting the bad apples, makes them all bad apples.

3 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Yes, instead of cooperating with the police who are looking for a criminal LITERALLY in your backyard, why not go out of your way to make their job more difficult ....

There's a fine line between having your rights stepped on and making your community a safer place - if you could put aside your ego for 3 seconds, you might see that

28 minutes ago, Dral said:

Yes, instead of cooperating with the police who are looking for a criminal LITERALLY in your backyard, why not go out of your way to make their job more difficult ....

There's a fine line between having your rights stepped on and making your community a safer place - if you could put aside your ego for 3 seconds, you might see that

if its one thing i can't stand is people who feel so entitled to make cops' jobs difficult. they dont want to pull you aside but that's their job. it doesn't matter if you're someone walking on the street, or a police officer, don't trust anybody. if you look suspicious-- like finishing your smoke and happen to leave when there are cops around, they're going to do their job

i had an incident a few weeks ago at columbia station where i was on my phone, and kinda just standing at the entrance, where those stupid compass gates are. i noticed there were a few cops around, so i was like, ok i'm gonna go, cause that many cops in this one area i got scared XD

i tap in my stupid compass thing, and made a b-line for the stairs. a cop approached me and asked where i was going. instead of being a dick and being all like "these are my rights **** you" i said, i'm going to new west, i was just on the phone with my girlfriend." and he said, that's fine, but you cant be standing where you are, impeding traffic in this area, then asked if i had anything on me that would poke him and the process. i was basically searched for drugs, and he explained to me, that the way i was standing and my body language on the phone, even to how i was holding my back pack, they're doing their job and i was a casualty of a "random search" and i told the policeman, thank you for keeping this area safe, because columbia station is pretty sketchy (which is why patterson station was rebuilt), and he thanked me for co-operating, and i moved on, after just 5 minutes

I don't see the big deal....id be impressed just seeing them responding to a call with those numbers...

if if you've done nothing wrong you're ok right?

when I was 12 or 13 I was pulled off a public bus because I fit a description of a thief....interestingly I had a cast on one leg and on crutches lol...not sure what thief would rob with those hindrances.  Anyway it was near midnight with one bus left and I was a half hour away from home...after they realized I want their guy they just left me at a bus exchange on my own.....

i was pretty chapped and my folks were not impressed. They wrote. Letter to the police the following day....yes this was back before emails.

my brother and friend (his face grated along the pavement) had two cops knees on the back of their necks face down on the side of the road under gun point....they weren't the bad guys either....

so you could have had it worse.

some cops are dicks.  Some are normal people.

some doctors are dicks. Some are normal people.

its the way it goes:

RRypien's post is useful because people don't know their rights when getting into such situations. If you don't know what your own rights or the rights that the police have, then you are definitely at a disadvantage. 

I have dealt with my share of good cops and bad cops. If the cops stop you, answer all their questions honestly and to the best of your abilities. You have done nothing wrong so you have no reason to fear their questions. Be polite to them when you answer, they aren't harassing you deliberately. They do not know you, so don't take it personally.

The above is all good advice when you are stopped by a good cop but occasionally you will meet some meathead. So I feel it necessary to say that if a cop is rude, unprofessional and unnecessarily aggressive then you have every right to not answer their questions. If you do get stopped by such a person, remain polite. You do not want to provoke such a person and unnecessaryily escalate the situation. So follow RRypien's advice, you do have rights as a citizen. Do not be a doormat and let them walk all over you because they have a badge. 

Here's the deal....cops do often go overboard but if they're in full pursuit and the adrenalin's pumping, they have a job to do.  They don't know if they find "the suspect" if they'll be shot at, attacked, etc. so obviously are on the defensive.

Probably best to just stay out of sight/mind until they're finished doing their job if you don't want to be questioned?  Sure, you have a right to be on your property smoking but they also have to identify that...so it's a two way street. 

They're protecting YOUR property as well as everyone else.  If you weren't the homeowner out there on the side having a smoke you may have been the person they were looking for.  And so they had to determine that.   Not a big deal, really. 

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

The only issue I see with this is that suddenly you become a suspect...in the area, uncooperative (in their view) and they may look at you a lot harder than if you just eliminate yourself out of the mix?

Ideally, yes.  But not sure how this actually works in your favour in some cases.  If you have nothing to hide, why not?

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm going to begin my statement making it clear that I have a ton of respect for police officers and the work they do.  Well most of them at least.

But I had a similar situation a while back.

Was sitting outside a restaurant waiting for a taxi with a few friends.  Friends were probably 30/40m away from where I was sitting at the time.  Cop walks up and asks to see my ID.  I ask him why he want s to see it.  To be honest I was genuinely just curious, I was literally about to start standing up and pull out my wallet to hand him my license.  Next thing I know he pulls my arms behind my back, throws cuffs on me and stuffs me in the back of a cop car.  I tell him if it's that serious I can show him my ID if he would like.  He responds "oh no you had your chance".  Ended up sitting in the back of his cruiser with cuffs on for 45 minutes while the cop questioned my friends and other people in the parking lot.  Turns out there was a report of somebody peeing on the side of the building.  At the end of the ordeal I got the officers name and badge number, almost filed a complaint, but realized it probably wouldn't have been worth it.

Was still a massive piss off.

So to clarify

Police are actively looking for a suspect in your backyard that has been breaking and entering in to places.  You're ducked out on the side of your house out of plain sight smoking.

Cop shines a light on you asks you to assume a safe position to them asks you a few questions details why and then goes on searching for the suspect.

And you're wondering if them simply doing their job is illegal?

Can I ask how you'd be reacting had your house been burglarized at any recent time in the past and you'd lost something(s) valuable to yourself?

Because that is about as illegal as your plumber demanding you show them your access pipe.  Honestly having been in that situation repeatedly (they routinely host drunk driving checks literally at the end of my driveway) it's just one of those things that happens, shocking and a shade disturbing to the ego that you'd be considered a suspect but then again; they're literally just doing their jobs.

Pretty sure it's a case of no harm no foul my man

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So to clarify

Police are actively looking for a suspect in your backyard that has been breaking and entering in to places.  You're ducked out on the side of your house out of plain sight smoking.

Cop shines a light on you asks you to assume a safe position to them asks you a few questions details why and then goes on searching for the suspect.

And you're wondering if them simply doing their job is illegal?

Can I ask how you'd be reacting had your house been burglarized at any recent time in the past and you'd lost something(s) valuable to yourself?

Because that is about as illegal as your plumber demanding you show them your access pipe

how much inches of pipe ya want

Archived