The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Was this legal?

key2thecup

51 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Can I ask how you'd be reacting had your house been burglarized at any recent time in the past and you'd lost something(s) valuable to yourself? 

Or your Mother had been inside, alone, when it happened?  (Like my Mom was). 

Or you were babysitting as someone tried to force their way into the home (another incident....I happened to be watching The Birds, so was absolutely traumatized...police came back later to say they'd caught the guy trying to break into a nearby home).

Suddenly, you understand and support their urgency in addressing those found "in the area".  Maybe a little unnecessary, but they're in full "pursuit" mode which is likely hard to switch on/off.

34 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Or your Mother had been inside, alone, when it happened?  (Like my Mom was). 

Or you were babysitting as someone tried to force their way into the home (another incident....I happened to be watching The Birds, so was absolutely traumatized...police came back later to say they'd caught the guy trying to break into a nearby home).

Suddenly, you understand and support their urgency in addressing those found "in the area".  Maybe a little unnecessary, but they're in full "pursuit" mode which is likely hard to switch on/off.

I can profess to being one of the most critical of how police conduct themselves in North America over the last decade, but with 2 young daughters and a pretty wife living in an area where vehicle and home break and enters are becoming far far more common, I'd be quite ok with being shaken down for info by a cop on my property than I would have been a decade ago.

Sometimes they have to do their jobs and a part of their job is threat assessment.  Not saying OP looked or was threatening but that's what they have to do.

4 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

if its one thing i can't stand is people who feel so entitled to make cops' jobs difficult. they dont want to pull you aside but that's their job. it doesn't matter if you're someone walking on the street, or a police officer, don't trust anybody. if you look suspicious-- like finishing your smoke and happen to leave when there are cops around, they're going to do their job

i had an incident a few weeks ago at columbia station where i was on my phone, and kinda just standing at the entrance, where those stupid compass gates are. i noticed there were a few cops around, so i was like, ok i'm gonna go, cause that many cops in this one area i got scared XD

i tap in my stupid compass thing, and made a b-line for the stairs. a cop approached me and asked where i was going. instead of being a dick and being all like "these are my rights **** you" i said, i'm going to new west, i was just on the phone with my girlfriend." and he said, that's fine, but you cant be standing where you are, impeding traffic in this area, then asked if i had anything on me that would poke him and the process. i was basically searched for drugs, and he explained to me, that the way i was standing and my body language on the phone, even to how i was holding my back pack, they're doing their job and i was a casualty of a "random search" and i told the policeman, thank you for keeping this area safe, because columbia station is pretty sketchy (which is why patterson station was rebuilt), and he thanked me for co-operating, and i moved on, after just 5 minutes

I don't agree with this.  Cops know exactly what the rules are and when they're breaking them.  The average citizen does not.  And while sometimes abuse of power allows for more effective policing, I am surprised you aren't more bothered with this matter.  The law is the law for a reason, we have rights for a reason and the cops have limits for a reason.

10 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

The "there has been reports of ______ crime in the area and you fit the description" is a classic with cops. 

Apparently they seem to think that gives them reason to ask for ID or question you. It doesn't. 

If you don't want to stick around or have them hassle you, just ask "am I being detained". 

If they say no, you are free to go. If they say yes, ask them what crime you are being accused of committing. "Because you are a suspicious person/acting suspicious" doesn't count as a reason.

Now before the butt hurt people come in saying, its much easier to cooperate or if you have nothing to hide then show them ID, give them an explanation....it's the principle of the matter.

How far are you willing to go to have your rights stepped on?

Look at our neighbors to the south, Patriot Act, NDAA, Random Check Points. Prime example of how far it can go. 

You couldn't give worst advice if you tried. 

This also happened in Surrey. A man was murdered in his own home while trying to defend himself against a burglar. Exactly the same reason Cops were in OP's neighbourhood. 

Yeah, let's give this guy more time to do his thing while making the Cops' job more difficult. The same cops who are trying to get this guy and make your neighbourhood safer.

Let's make Cops waste time on clearing you and start looking for the real burglar because of your so called rights. 

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/murdered-surrey-realtor-fought-to-give-family-time-to-hide-wife-says-1.2468672

Get some common sense, this isn't rocket science. 

Murdered Surrey realtor fought to give family time to hide, wife says

The 42-year-old Surrey man who was gunned down during a home invasion last weekend fought to give his family more time to hide, according to a heartbreaking message from his wife.

It was shortly before midnight Sunday when local realtor Colin Hill discovered someone trying to break into their home on 64th Avenue near 166th Street.

Few details of the ensuing struggle have been released by police, but Hill’s wife posted a message to Facebook early Tuesday painting him as a hero who sacrificed himself for his family’s safety.

PHOTOS

Colin Hill

Police say 42-year-old Colin Hill was shot and killed defending his home against an intruder on Sunday, July 12, 2015. (Facebook)

Khouri Lamar Green

Accused murderer Khouri Lamar Green appears in a Surrey courtroom on July 14, 2015. (CTV)

Khouri Lamar Green

Accused murderer Khouri Lamar Green appears in a Surrey courtroom on July 14, 2015. (CTV)

Surrey shooting

Mounties respond to a deadly home invasion in Surrey late Sunday night. July 12, 2015. (CTV)

He was the “very best husband a person could ever ask for,” Becky Zhou wrote.

Zhou said her husband tried blocking their door to keep the intruder outside the house, but lost the struggle. He then yelled out a warning that the robber was armed, and tried to force the trespasser back outside to give his loved ones an opportunity to find a safe place.

Hill was fatally shot and died at the scene.

“All other family [members] are safe,” Zhou wrote.

At the family home, Hill’s father called him a “standup guy” who lived for his family.

“He was the greatest guy in the world,” he said. “It’s tragic loss and life will never be the same.”

Police said the suspect fled the scene in a vehicle they later determined was stolen. Hours later, officers arrested a 22-year-old man while responding to a report of an armed man trying to break into a Burnaby apartment.

Khouri Lamar Green, a Surrey resident with an extensive criminal record, has since been charged with second-degree murder in Hill’s slaying.

Green appeared in court Tuesday morning, and is scheduled to return on Sept. 14.

Court documents reveal the young man has a criminal pattern: He has no problem breaking into people’s homes, and has shown little willingness to change his behaviour.

Police said there’s no connection between Hill and the suspect, and Sunday’s home invasion appears to have been random.

Hill has been described as a hard-working father and husband whose death has left the community in shock.

“There is no question these are the most painful moments a family can endure. For police, they’re also the hardest,” Surrey RCMP Chief Supt. Bill Fordy said at a press conference Monday.

“While we’re confident we’ve quickly taken the person responsible for this senseless crime into custody, I’m still angry at this pointless loss of life.”

Hill’s murder isn't related to any of the previous shootings that have taken place in Surrey and Delta over the past several months either, according to police.

Just to clarify, I was polite with them, aside from the first cop putting his hand on his gun and shouting put your hands up, they were pretty mild mannered to match my manners.

Asked me if I had id to prove if it was my house, but didn't make me go inside to get it once they figured out I was being honest.

I was just curious to how the laws work here, when your on your own property etc.

More than a few reasonable responses that they did a basic check and moved on in an area with suspicious activity, but also a few about "the principle" or stepping on rights and all that. I seem to have in my recent memory a thread about three suspicious men taking pictures in a mall, and I wonder what kind of correlations (or mis-matches) we'd find if we tried to match posters responses to this thread.

This thread: was it illegal for them to question me?

That thread: it's totally reasonable to put out an alert on someone suspicious in case of terrorism

9 hours ago, linden17 said:

The problem is with a lot of people with your attitude is they dont understand the law and think they dont have to listen to or respect cops at all and then try to go public with their experience on camera or whatever and end up looking like idiots. it goes both ways and i find more often than not when u see these videos its the people filming it just being difficult while being smart asses trying to provoke the cops. lots of times those videos dont show what happened before or after. just my opinion

This has nothing to do with respect. I never mentioned anything about being belligerent or having an attitude.

There is a right way and a wrong way to approach these situations.

Obviously, doing any of this with an aggressive manner will just have you end up sitting in the back of the cruiser in cuffs, whether it was a warranted move or not. 

Unfortunately, a lot of the examples that do end up on video do show plenty of aggression (on BOTH sides) and the end result is not pretty. 

During training, an Police Officer usually spends at most, 6 months of training actually studying the law. You think that gives them enough knowledge on a day to day basis of interacting with the public to do it in a legal and lawful manner? 

Whether you care to admit it or not, police abuse their rights on a day to day basis AND get away with it through intimidation or lack of legal knowledge from the victim/"suspect". 

So no, I am not trying to interfere with police investigations or give them a hard time. I just want them to be held accountable for how they go about their job.

I am a tax paying citizen and they are public servants. They work for ME and any other tax paying citizens of this country. WE pay their salary, and a very decent one too. The more people that realize this, stand up for it what is right and hold them accountable will force the Police to be held up to better standards of conduct. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

You couldn't give worst advice if you tried. 

This also happened in Surrey. A man was murdered in his own home while trying to defend himself against a burglar. Exactly the same reason Cops were in OP's neighbourhood. 

Yeah, let's give this guy more time to do his thing while making the Cops' job more difficult. The same cops who are trying to get this guy and make your neighbourhood safer.

Let's make Cops waste time on clearing you and start looking for the real burglar because of your so called rights. 

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/murdered-surrey-realtor-fought-to-give-family-time-to-hide-wife-says-1.2468672

Get some common sense, this isn't rocket science. 

Murdered Surrey realtor fought to give family time to hide, wife says

The 42-year-old Surrey man who was gunned down during a home invasion last weekend fought to give his family more time to hide, according to a heartbreaking message from his wife.

It was shortly before midnight Sunday when local realtor Colin Hill discovered someone trying to break into their home on 64th Avenue near 166th Street.

Few details of the ensuing struggle have been released by police, but Hill’s wife posted a message to Facebook early Tuesday painting him as a hero who sacrificed himself for his family’s safety.

PHOTOS

Colin Hill

Police say 42-year-old Colin Hill was shot and killed defending his home against an intruder on Sunday, July 12, 2015. (Facebook)

Khouri Lamar Green

Khouri Lamar Green

Surrey shooting

Mounties respond to a deadly home invasion in Surrey late Sunday night. July 12, 2015. (CTV)

He was the “very best husband a person could ever ask for,” Becky Zhou wrote.

Zhou said her husband tried blocking their door to keep the intruder outside the house, but lost the struggle. He then yelled out a warning that the robber was armed, and tried to force the trespasser back outside to give his loved ones an opportunity to find a safe place.

Hill was fatally shot and died at the scene.

“All other family [members] are safe,” Zhou wrote.

At the family home, Hill’s father called him a “standup guy” who lived for his family.

“He was the greatest guy in the world,” he said. “It’s tragic loss and life will never be the same.”

Police said the suspect fled the scene in a vehicle they later determined was stolen. Hours later, officers arrested a 22-year-old man while responding to a report of an armed man trying to break into a Burnaby apartment.

Khouri Lamar Green, a Surrey resident with an extensive criminal record, has since been charged with second-degree murder in Hill’s slaying.

Green appeared in court Tuesday morning, and is scheduled to return on Sept. 14.

Court documents reveal the young man has a criminal pattern: He has no problem breaking into people’s homes, and has shown little willingness to change his behaviour.

Police said there’s no connection between Hill and the suspect, and Sunday’s home invasion appears to have been random.

Hill has been described as a hard-working father and husband whose death has left the community in shock.

“There is no question these are the most painful moments a family can endure. For police, they’re also the hardest,” Surrey RCMP Chief Supt. Bill Fordy said at a press conference Monday.

“While we’re confident we’ve quickly taken the person responsible for this senseless crime into custody, I’m still angry at this pointless loss of life.”

Hill’s murder isn't related to any of the previous shootings that have taken place in Surrey and Delta over the past several months either, according to police.

The advice I gave was a viable option for anyone and there was nothing wrong with it. 

Just because you don't want to follow or don't like said advice doesn't mean it's "the worst". 

What happened with that article is heart breaking and I know what you're trying to do. 

As I have said countless times, it's got nothing to do with giving cops "a hard time" or making a big deal of the situation. It is completely within your rights. Like I said, how far are you willing to give up your rights for extra security?

Ben Franklin had a few great quote on this: "  “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.” ”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”

Do you want to be able to be randomly stopped and frisked like they can legally do in New York now?

Do you want to have to roll through check points/road blocks (not even NEAR the border) and have to essentially get interrogated to prove you are a citizen? They do this in MANY US States. 

Do you want to be able to be detained for an indefinite amount of time, with no lawyer or legal representation or grounds of national security? 

All of this is now legal in the United States. 

Do you get the point I am trying to make? 

Believe me I want the police to be able to their job as best as possible, locking up as many POS as the murderer in that article as possible. But there is a difference between cooperating and just being an oblivious push over. Don't be so butt hurt and try to understand what I am getting at. 

40 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

The advice I gave was a viable option for anyone and there was nothing wrong with it. 

Just because you don't want to follow or don't like said advice doesn't mean it's "the worst". 

What happened with that article is heart breaking and I know what you're trying to do. 

As I have said countless times, it's got nothing to do with giving cops "a hard time" or making a big deal of the situation. It is completely within your rights. Like I said, how far are you willing to give up your rights for extra security?

Ben Franklin had a few great quote on this: "  “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.” ”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”

Do you want to be able to be randomly stopped and frisked like they can legally do in New York now?

Do you want to have to roll through check points/road blocks (not even NEAR the border) and have to essentially get interrogated to prove you are a citizen? They do this in MANY US States. 

Do you want to be able to be detained for an indefinite amount of time, with no lawyer or legal representation or grounds of national security? 

Believe me I want the police to be able to their job as best as possible, locking up as many POS as the murderer in that article as possible. But there is a difference between cooperating and just being an oblivious push over. Don't be so butt hurt and try to understand what I am getting at. 

how do you really feel

16 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

This is now so obviously about ego for you...

I don't think the police intended to abuse their power, and in this case cooperating with them is a good idea.  That being said, not every situation is the same.  It's a bit counterproductive to go around being a dick to every cop trying to do his job, but it's also important to know your rights and recognize situations where you're being shaken down for no reason.  In this case it sounds like there really was something going on, and while OP would have been within his rights to stone wall the cops it wouldn't be something I would do.  Other situations (like stop and frisk in New York and random ID checks in Toronto) your rights should be protected.

Archived