The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Welcome to the Canucks Alex Biega

Me16

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes.  And more so than just mentioning it, he's been consistently getting 5 minutes a night more icetime than Weber so the writing has been on the wall.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yes.  And more so than just mentioning it, he's been consistently getting 5 minutes a night more icetime than Weber so the writing has been on the wall.

sweet. so u thought u would stop by just to be a smart@#@. Next time i buy cookies i'll save you one. You are my hero

35 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Was your second thought - oh, yeah, he's been here since December 1st and played the last 20 games?  Playing more minutes than Weber throughout, who's been scratched to make room for him....

Pretty much, and it's been insinuated previously to this that he was here for good. There wasn't much question, but when Linden was asked directly he answered (and the more important part left out by the OP was they were going to start contract negotiations with him later in the year).

This makes sense. If he were to be sent down now, he'd most certainly be claimed... and frankly, Biega has outplayed Bartkowski and Weber to earn a spot on this roster. Regardless of injuries, I expect when the full D-corps are healthy that Weber will be waived. Weber had his moment in the spotlight near the end of last season but never managed to find his mojo again this year. I doubt Weber is re-signed.

Congrats to him.  Biega is now 27 and is pretty much the prime of his career, so no better time than to give him as much opportunities as he can handle. 

This perhaps writing on the wall that Weber and Hamhuis will be on their way out either on the trade deadline or via free agency.  Hamhuis with the possible for garnering a king's ransom and Weber just being forced into a position he's not good enough for (a 6/7th but sometimes playing as much as a top-4). 

This is also good for those down in Utica, as it lets them know that anyone has a chance to make it to the Canucks with hard work, perseverance, and a bit of luck (Biega now on the team, Vey given a second chance, McCann/Virtanen lucky but not out of place, Hutton being the darkhorse, Baertschi seemingly finally clicking, Markstrom proving he's an NHLer).  If not at the very least, anybody on Utica (at least with a contract with the Canucks) can at least have a cup of coffee in the NHL (Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Grenier, Pedan, Fedun, etc.) thus cashing a NHL cheque for a bit. 

Archived