The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Clendening on waivers

Mackcanuck

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

They were fretting because of the loss of the next Karlsson in fifth-rounder Forsling.

No, I mean in the Sutter trade. There were a TON of people who were all:

NOOOTTTTT CLENDENNNINNGGZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frantic:

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

What are you talking about? What does that have to do with Clendening? I am referencing the fact that he was traded for Gustav Forsling in the first place. 

I'm not overly upset about losing Forsling. He wasn't really a blue chip prospect. The players he got in Pedan, and Tryamkin are more intriguing than Forsling. 

Just now, J.R. said:

No, I mean in the Sutter trade. There were a TON of people who were all:

NOOOTTTTT CLENDENNNINNGGZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frantic:

No that was correcting the initial mistake in the first place. 

Just now, Aladeen said:

No that was correcting the initial mistake in the first place. 

What mistake was that? Turning a 5th round D unlikely to make the NHL in to Clendening and turning that and a slow Bonino in to Sutter seemed to work out pretty well...

30 minutes ago, jstewboy said:

I can't imagine him putting forth any kind of real effort if we did claim him

dude would work his ass off, just like on the other teams, trying to get a NHL job and keep it. I think where, is irrelevant to him at this point.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

What mistake was that? Turning a 5th round D unlikely to make the NHL in to Clendening and turning that and a slow Bonino in to Sutter seemed to work out pretty well...

How is he unlikely to make the NHL? he was Captain of Sweden's U20 Squad. His skating is excellent, his offensive instincts are such that he can effectively QB a PP. 

Sounds like a lot of what the Canucks need. Now in 3-4 years when he makes the jump those needs may not be the same. 

And I said he did correct that mistake by trading him for Sutter.... so wtf are you arguing about? 

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

How is he unlikely to make the NHL? he was Captain of Sweden's U20 Squad. His skating is excellent, his offensive instincts are such that he can effectively QB a PP. 

Sounds like a lot of what the Canucks need. Now in 3-4 years when he makes the jump those needs may not be the same. 

And I said he did correct that mistake by trading him for Sutter.... so wtf are you arguing about? 

OK, unlikely to make the NHL may be a bit harsh... But he's likely still 5+ years away from being a marginal/fringe NHL'er and we already have an undersized OFD in Subban who is quite arguably better and ahead of Forsling in his development. Forsling was redundant in our pool.

There was no 'mistake'.

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Aladeen is validating as we speak ;)

I know why don't we pick up Clendening and see if the Blackhawks want to trade a loser 5th rounder D man who will never make the NHL for him, should be an easy sell :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

OK, unlikely to make the NHL may be a bit harsh... But he's likely still 5+ years away from being a marginal/fringe NHL'er and we already have an undersized OFD in Subban who is quite arguably better and ahead of Forsling in his development. Forsling was redundant in our pool.

There was no 'mistake'.

Trading any prospect for waiver fodder is a mistake.

5 minutes ago, Aladeen said:

Only if he can build on that 15 year old girl frame of his.

I think it's important to recognize the team situations he just passed through this year. 

Pittsburgh has Ehrhoff, Maatta, Letang and Pouliot. Anaheim has Vatanen, Fowler, Lindholm and Theodore. All of those players overlap with Clendening's style so it's not surprising that he wasn't able to push himself in front of their organizational chart in a short time span. We don't have that same redundancy. We have Hutton, Weber and Subban  

What I'm saying is...Yes...it would make some sense for us to claim him back. Just because he wasn't useful to them doesn't mean he wouldn't have use to us. 

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Does PIT make the same trade for Bonino and Forsling? I don't know, perhaps? Maybe Benning knows otherwise.

Perhaps... but you talk as if JB can do no wrong... he made a mistake (initially IMO)  and fixed it (With the Pittsburg Trade IMO)... that works just fine too. And if he picks up Clendening  I guess he really won the trade overall. 

Archived