The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Milan Lucic Out of Control?

Just now, Jägermeister said:

You should pay more attention to other teams in the league if you truly feel like that.

The refs and DoPS are not biased against the Canucks, they suck for everyone else as well.

This is what I believed when I didn't fully agree with John Garrett's views on the matter.  But the bulk of the fans agree with him.  They might have a case.

5 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

I asked the question because it's a valid concern, given the Canucks' long-standing history with league reffing and suspensions.  The Hansen incident certainly doesn't discredit that history.  

Mr. John Garret recently wrote an article describing this history and how it pertains to the Sedins.  There's a lack of respect shown to them by the league, so it is a valid concern that the same level of disrespect would fall on our other players.  So in Lucic's case, that means his wild antics would almost certainly be penalized more often and more severely.  If this is not the case, then that is in contradiction to what's been going on in this regard here since the 2011 finals.

My fault for again assuming people are aware of the context.

I use to think with the decisions being made,  were biased against  the Canucks. Now I'm leaning towards decisions being made as a business (doesn't make it fair) The NHL wants to minimize damage to the big market teams and original 6 (and not damage interest) or  weaken the American non traditional teams. They know the game sells in Canada and decisions will not hurt them as bad and they can use some of those offenses to hopefully detour the others from making them

3 hours ago, AngelicHearts said:

I don't understand why so many people want this guy on our team. He's a dirty player and that does not suit the Canucks at all. He's better off in LA. <_<

History has shown playing with integrity gets you no where.

3 hours ago, AngelicHearts said:

I don't understand why so many people want this guy on our team. He's a dirty player and that does not suit the Canucks at all. He's better off in LA. <_<

He's a 235 pound winger who puts up 40+ points every single year. And he beats the snot out of people. What about him doesn't suit the Canucks? Not saying his antics are fine but his ability and the effect he has on every team he plays for is obvious. People just choose to ignore that cuz they don't like him on a personal level. He's not just a bigger meaner Dorsett, he's a legitimate top 6 forward on any team. 

13 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

This is what I believed when I didn't fully agree with John Garrett's views on the matter.  But the bulk of the fans agree with him.  They might have a case.

The bulk of Vancouver fans know jack about what happens in the rest of the league. The bulk of Vancouver fans are casual fans.  Our seats our mostly corporate owned.

cheech, bless him, is massive homer. He has a case regarding the Sedins, but that doesn't mean the refs are doing their job correctly elsewhere in the league.  

How many games has Sidney Crosby missed?  Due to what?  

Every single player in the nhl has a target on their back.  We came blame the refs all we want but their is a general lack of respect amongst players at times as well.

lucic just happens to be the biggest dog in the fight. There are no more enforcers on any roster.  This has been a league mandate.  And now here we are, pinning psychosis, drug, steroid and alcohol abuse on a guy that can actually play the game at a high level, but also be the most intimidating player on the ice any night....

we  can lump all these baseless accusations on Milan just as easily as all Canucks fans can be lumped into the group that defaced his family's church and threw popcorn at his grandparents.  See how that works.

ftr I'm not even a Lucic fan.  Just tired of hearing people bitch about something they don't have any personal experience with whatsoever.

to be honest this thread is a joke.  Is Lucic out of control?  Wow. We lost to the Bruins in a final so let's see if I can get some easy support for my opinion by asking the doctors and non biased hockey minds on CDC.

heres to hoping there are more Milans, to balance the table.

41 minutes ago, riffraff said:

The bulk of Vancouver fans know jack about what happens in the rest of the league. The bulk of Vancouver fans are casual fans.  Our seats our mostly corporate owned.

cheech, bless him, is massive homer. He has a case regarding the Sedins, but that doesn't mean the refs are doing their job correctly elsewhere in the league.  

Every single player in the nhl has a target on their back.  We came blame the refs all we want but their is a general lack of respect amongst players at times as well.

lucic just happens to be the biggest dog in the fight. There are no more enforcers on any roster.  This has been a league mandate.  And now here we are, pinning psychosis, drug, steroid and alcohol abuse on a guy that can actually play the game at a high level, but also be the most intimidating player on the ice any night....

we  can lump all these baseless accusations on Milan just as easily as all Canucks fans can be lumped into the group that defaced his family's church and threw popcorn at his grandparents.  See how that works.

ftr I'm not even a Lucic fan.  Just tired of hearing people bitch about something they don't have any personal experience with whatsoever.

to be honest this thread is a joke.  Is Lucic out of control?  Wow. We lost to the Bruins in a final so let's see if I can get some easy support for my opinion by asking the doctors and non biased hockey minds on CDC.

Threatening to kill people.  suckerpunching other players.

Over the top verbally abusing the ref.

Yeah i think these are are actions of a man who is out of control. I wont go into his personal life because i know nothing about it. But on the ice his antics are disgusting. I did not support in a Boston uniform i dont support in a la uniform and i wont support in a Vancouver uniform.  

Also it is possible to get your point across without insulting everyone who doesnt agree with you. Try it sometime. 

54 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I grew up in the same area Lucic did (E. Vancouver), it's a crappy place at times so I can understand where he gets it from but still has no excuse as a professional hockey player.  Lucic seems to know how to communicate with his right fist or throw verbal threats at people.  Even one night at a bar here in Vancouver he threatened someone, then after the bars closed he then got sucker punched for the threat and bitched about it.  He also threatened Dale Weisse after losing to the Habs.

Trouble seems to follow him when he's in public and it's starting to show on the ice too.

39 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Yeah i think these are are actions of a man who is out of control. I wont go into his personal life because i know nothing about it. But on the ice his antics are disgusting. I did not support in a Boston uniform i dont support in a la uniform and i wont support in a Vancouver uniform.  

Also it is possible to get your point across without insulting everyone who doesnt agree with you. Try it sometime. 

I wasn't insulting all fans.  And there is truth to my statement that Canuck fans aren't knowledge of the rest of the league.  

I I also wasn't insulting those who disagree with me.  Disagreeing on the value and effect of Lucic as a player or Canuck is fine.  

Accusing someone of all that's been thrown around here without any source or proof (drug abuse, alcohol abuse, steroid abuse, psychosis) is not fine.  

And ill come down on people who accuse in such a way, all the time.  It's justified.

threatening to kill or "get" someone on the ice in the nhl is common.  Heck it's common way before the nhl.  

Sucker punching?  Been going on as long as the sport.  But hey, single out one player we don't like right?

Oh wait. All around good guy Jordan Staal:

shea weber, a celebrated Olympian and nhl all star, slammed league wide respected Henrik Zetterberg's head and face into the glass on purpose from behind. Twice.  No suspension.  

there is so much ongoing violence in this sport perpetrated by many players that it is completely biased, ignorant homerism to condemn one player.

viscous psycho high school kids:

anyways.  As they say.

dont hate the player. Hate the game.

19 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I wasn't insulting all fans.  And there is truth to my statement that Canuck fans aren't knowledge of the rest of the league.  

I I also wasn't insulting those who disagree with me.  Disagreeing on the value and effect of Lucic as a player or Canuck is fine.  

Accusing someone of all that's been thrown around here without any source or proof (drug abuse, alcohol abuse, steroid abuse, psychosis) is not fine.  

And ill come down on people who accuse in such a way, all the time.  It's justified.

threatening to kill or "get" someone on the ice in the nhl is common.  Heck it's common way before the nhl.  

Sucker punching?  Been going on as long as the sport.  But hey, single out one player we don't like right?

Oh wait. All around good guy Jordan Staal:

shea weber, a celebrated Olympian and nhl all star, slammed league wide respected Henrik Zetterberg's head and face into the glass on purpose from behind. Twice.  No suspension.  

there is so much ongoing violence in this sport perpetrated by many players that it is completely biased, ignorant homerism to condemn one player.

viscous psycho high school kids:

anyways.  As they say.

dont hate the player. Hate the game.

What the hell do you know about any other hockey.  You're a canucks fan. 

Funny think is ive seen all those videos before you posted. Not bad for an ignorant canuck fan who only watches orca hockey eh. 

Lets break them down. Your little highschool fight isnt pro hockey wo lets wash that away. 

The weber smashing zetterbergs face to the glass was bad. What was even worst was he was making fun of him after in practice recarding the incident. To my knowledge this isnt a norm for weber.not enough for me to see regularly on the ice or in headlines. I would say the predators agree seeing that they live their captain.

Burtizzis rep has followed him since the moore incident. As well as it should. It has haunted him his entire life. 

I dont really know what you're trrying to prove here. Having a drink doesnt make you an alcoholic.  Lucic has had multiple incidents and doesnt seem to be slpwing down.

So what do you think or marchand? Just a good hockey player lol?

You can think what you want. Honestly i dont care who riff raff on cdc thinks is a good hockey player. But dont call out an entire group of people you've never met. Actually shows me how little hockey you know outside of Vancouver.  Most rinks lower bowls are filled with suits. That doesnt say anything about their fanbase or that fanbases knowledge about the sport.

28 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

What the hell do you know about any other hockey.  You're a canucks fan. 

Funny think is ive seen all those videos before you posted. Not bad for an ignorant canuck fan who only watches orca hockey eh. 

Lets break them down. Your little highschool fight isnt pro hockey wo lets wash that away. 

The weber smashing zetterbergs face to the glass was bad. What was even worst was he was making fun of him after in practice recarding the incident. To my knowledge this isnt a norm for weber.not enough for me to see regularly on the ice or in headlines. I would say the predators agree seeing that they live their captain.

Burtizzis rep has followed him since the moore incident. As well as it should. It has haunted him his entire life. 

I dont really know what you're trrying to prove here. Having a drink doesnt make you an alcoholic.  Lucic has had multiple incidents and doesnt seem to be slpwing down.

So what do you think or marchand? Just a good hockey player lol?

You can think what you want. Honestly i dont care who riff raff on cdc thinks is a good hockey player. But dont call out an entire group of people you've never met. Actually shows me how little hockey you know outside of Vancouver.  Most rinks lower bowls are filled with suits. That doesnt say anything about their fanbase or that fanbases knowledge about the sport.

I showed the high school clip to underline  my point that "out of control hockey" isn't just a part of the nhl.  That aggressive, testosterone and adrenaline fuled athletes have played hockey this way for as long as hockey has been around and at every level.

id say almost all players are capable of these moments based on the environment/sport/culture, and their own makeup as "hockey players"

this is thread is full of posters saying they wouldn't support Lucic here.  Really?  Some based on why they feel is over the top aggression.  And that is fine.  Everyone is differ t and appreciates certain aspects of the game.  But the accusations as I've mentioned are unfair and source less.

i used the Webber clip because everyone is ok with him as a Canuck, however he is capable of dirty and dangerous hockey as well.

Im not defending Lucic as a person because I don't know him as a person.  But neither do the majority of people here, certainly well enough to label him as a psycho.

Marchand is a good hockey player. Yes he's dirty. So what.  His talent justifies his position in the league.  The league is full of dirty players. Always has always will.  Don't see your point here.

as I said I'm not calling out an entire fan base.  That's hyperbole on your part.  I'm calling out those who obviously don't watch other hockey as to say the leagues refs are biased against us for no reason....cough cough Kesler burrows.

we could go on and on but you seem to be deflecting from the topic which is "is lucic out of control?"  And I have shown why he is not "out of control" in comparison with current and historic events involving hockey players at all levels.

im done.

5 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I showed the high school clip to underline  my point that "out of control hockey" isn't just a part of the nhl.  That aggressive, testosterone and adrenaline fuled athletes have played hockey this way for as long as hockey has been around and at every level.

id say almost all players are capable of these moments based on the environment/sport/culture, and their own makeup as "hockey players"

this is thread is full of posters saying they wouldn't support Lucic here.  Really?  Some based on why they feel is over the top aggression.  And that is fine.  Everyone is differ t and appreciates certain aspects of the game.  But the accusations as I've mentioned are unfair and source less.

i used the Webber clip because everyone is ok with him as a Canuck, however he is capable of dirty and dangerous hockey as well.

Im not defending Lucic as a person because I don't know him as a person.  But neither do the majority of people here, certainly well enough to label him as a psycho.

Marchand is a good hockey player. Yes he's dirty. So what.  His talent justifies his position in the league.  The league is full of dirty players. Always has always will.  Don't see your point here.

as I said I'm not calling out an entire fan base.  That's hyperbole on your part.  I'm calling out those who obviously don't watch other hockey as to say the leagues refs are biased against us for no reason....cough cough Kesler burrows.

we could go on and on but you seem to be deflecting from the topic which is "is lucic out of control?"  And I have shown why he is not "out of control" in comparison with current and historic events involving hockey players at all levels.

im done.

Be done all you want. Still doesnt make you right.

3 hours ago, riffraff said:

id say almost all players are capable of these moments based on the environment/sport/culture, and their own makeup...

I agree with this. It's a violent, fast, emotion filled sport. Poop happens. 

That said, there's a VAST difference between 'capable moments' and an obvious, recurring pattern. 

And that's not even the main reason I want Lucic nowhere near my Canucks.

He's slow. 

He's almost 28.

He's going to garner a 7 year contract, likely north of $6m per.

The last 2-3 years of that contract will be an ANCHOR. 

We're heading towards a FAST, relentless pick pursuit model. Lucic doesn't fit that regardless of how good of a player he is (when he isn't having dirty,  infantile outbursts).

We also already have 2 talented but slow top 6 forwards on the team. No room for more. 

5 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

running down a goalie, spearing in the groin are a few more

Would love to have a guy of his size, skill and strength, But not how Milan goes too far with antics

44 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I agree with this. It's a violent, fast, emotion filled sport. Poop happens. 

That said, there's a VAST difference between 'capable moments' and an obvious, recurring pattern. 

And that's not even the main reason I want Lucic nowhere near my Canucks.

He's slow. 

He's almost 28.

He's going to garner a 7 year contract, likely north of $6m per.

The last 2-3 years of that contract will be an ANCHOR. 

We're heading towards a FAST, relentless pick pursuit model. Lucic doesn't fit that regardless of how good of a player he is (when he isn't having dirty,  infantile outbursts).

We also already have 2 talented but slow top 6 forwards on the team. No room for more. 

I'm on the fence with Lucic here.

At the right price/hometown discount it could be good for us in that with the bad of Milan comes the good.  He is a competitor and proven at the playoff level. He adds a tool we don't have and that's intimidation and physicality in the top six. Players will play "bigger" with him in the lineup. That'd fact. We've seen it first hand already.

although I don't see his age as an issue, I do agree the speed of the game could be difficult for him. Having said that, I wouldn't say he is slow.  His style creates space for himself and others which makes up for some speed anyway.

my issue with threads like this, aside from sourceless accusations, is that Canuck fans, complain about the abuse of our top players yet don't want a guy like Milan who can play in the top six, not just a borderline goon minor leaguer.  We can wait around for the calls all we want but it's never going to happen, especially in the playoffs where the physicality goes ballistic.  I'm of the opinion we should be taking matters into our own hands, dictating the play and creating our own intimidation aspect.  We haven't had that here in years.

Archived