The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Justin Schultz

SvenBae

Just now, Alflives said:

I thought you said you didn't read it though?:o When you scratch an itch do you only "think" scratch?  Maybe that's why you're always itchy?:lol:

Said I didn't read it fully.

How about YOU learn to read, you silly little alien.

1 minute ago, SvenBae said:

Don't really care about the article itself, I didn't even read it fully, only trying to scratch the itch of trade speculation as we approach the deadline by reading anything and everything from anyone.

Oh, ok, I guess I misunderstood your lead comment - 

"Reading this article got me a little interested:"

I actually read it - it did not get me interested - and I couldn't help but think - this guy's a poor writer and not much of a hockey mind.

"While much of his early struggles could be contributed to the fact".."

Is there any such thing as an editor anymore?      

Attributed.   THW is just awful - publish boatloads of amateurish, wannabe material.

The article is, overall, just poorly formulated.  

Schultz - meh - he made his bed.  He opted for insta-minutes with a mickey mouse franchise when he could have come to a real franchise like Vancouver, learned with good veterans, earned his minutes, and perhaps not have been ruined in the process.

7 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Oh, ok, I guess I misunderstood your lead comment - 

"Reading this article got me a little interested:"

I actually read it - it did not get me interested - and I couldn't help but think - this guy's a poor writer and not much of a hockey mind.

"While much of his early struggles could be contributed to the fact".."

Is there any such thing as an editor anymore?      

Attributed.   THW is just awful - publish boatloads of amateurish, wannabe material.

The article is, overall, just poorly formulated.  

Schultz - meh - he made his bed.  He opted for insta-minutes with a mickey mouse franchise when he could have come to a real franchise like Vancouver, learned with good veterans, earned his minutes, and perhaps not have been ruined in the process.

Note that it's "reading this article got me a little interested" and not "reading this interesting article got me interested".

If or when Edmonton does not qualify him, a small contract that could be buried in the minors would be OK from a Canucks' perspective. He's awful this year, but he was able to put up 64 points in 155 games before that.

If he can't make the team out of training camp, he could add some offense to Utica, with Ehrhardt and Landry on a 1 year contracts, Biega up in the bigs, Utica doesn't have much offense from the D outside of Subban looking into next year.

Is he worth assets right now though? Definitely not. 

On 2016-01-29 at 11:13 PM, Dazzle said:

I liked Weber - but not this season. His play has earned him the right to sit in the press box for younger defenseman.

I'd trade Weber for SOMETHING.

You are a dreamer, aren't you? What are you thinking about, maybe a 1st rounder for Weber to a team desparate for depth? Maybe package him with Higgins and get Kassian from the Oilers!!!! Those are all worthless contracts, get that in your head!

1 hour ago, coastal1 said:

You are a dreamer, aren't you? What are you thinking about, maybe a 1st rounder for Weber to a team desparate for depth? Maybe package him with Higgins and get Kassian from the Oilers!!!! Those are all worthless contracts, get that in your head!

Get that in your head that 'SOMETHING', in the way that my post was written, was referring to ANYTHING of remote value. Weber is very expendable at this point in time.

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I would sign him to a NHL minimum contract, and send him to the minors, for 2 years with Green, if he gets picked up by someone else, he has to stay up with that club, but there is no loss to us, and huge upside if he learns to play defense.

A minimum contract or better, a 2-way is what he needs but his cap hit is 3.9!  How on earth would he agree?  He's a massively overpaid project.  I wish him luck.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

A minimum contract or better, a 2-way is what he needs but his cap hit is 3.9!  How on earth would he agree?  He's a massively overpaid project.  I wish him luck.

Hey CC

I just get the feeling he is not well though of, if you can't play for the Oilers, then something is wrong with you.......he needs to go back to the minors and relearn defense.........I just thought if the offers don't come rolling in, he might just go for it, with a little help from his agent.....................I could be wrong????    Just a thought!

i posted this elsewhere before

prust for schultz and edmonton retains enough salary to make the contracts balance, ie: vancouver takes on no extra salary

prust is a seasoned veteran who can provide 2 months of mentoring to the oiler young talent

vancouver gets a 2 month test run of a player they used to see something in

he seems to be a bit of a lost cause though

38 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hey CC

I just get the feeling he is not well though of, if you can't play for the Oilers, then something is wrong with you.......he needs to go back to the minors and relearn defense.........I just thought if the offers don't come rolling in, he might just go for it, with a little help from his agent.....................I could be wrong????    Just a thought!

I think that Schultz went to the Oilers because he figured he would get plenty of ice time and responsibility and that would be the best for him.  Obviously there's more to becoming a good NHL player than opportunity.

If he could play defense, he might be just what the Canucks need.

20 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i posted this elsewhere before

prust for schultz and edmonton retains enough salary to make the contracts balance, ie: vancouver takes on no extra salary

prust is a seasoned veteran who can provide 2 months of mentoring to the oiler young talent

vancouver gets a 2 month test run of a player they used to see something in

he seems to be a bit of a lost cause though

This may be a creative solution that I think addresses one of the stumbling blocks; Schultz's salary.  Now, would he submit to learning how to play defense at 25. 

Surely, there are other options for RHD.

8 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that Schultz went to the Oilers because he figured he would get plenty of ice time and responsibility and that would be the best for him.  Obviously there's more to becoming a good NHL player than opportunity.

If he could play defense, he might be just what the Canucks need.

This may be a creative solution that I think addresses one of the stumbling blocks; Schultz's salary.  Now, would he submit to learning how to play defense at 25. 

Surely, there are other options for RHD.

It was the Gillis regime who lusted after J. Schultz.  From what we have learned about JBs value on character and toughness, do we think he would have any interest in Schultz?  I really don't think he would.

Schultz is pending RFA (IIRC) and given his salary, I'd have little interest in picking up his rights. His next contract needs to be lower than the max cut arbitration award before he'd make financial sense IMO. So wait until the Oilers don't qualify him and he hits UFA. Then if he's one of those guys that doesn't get much interest and is contract-less after the summer and facing down the possibility of a PTO and training camp tryouts, maybe sign him on the cheap as a reclamation project.

I don't think he's straight garbage but he needs a salary re-set and he needs to be somewhat "rebuilt" as a player. But history has shown us that former Oiler goalies and defenseman shouldn't be fully judged by what they accomplished during their time with that sorry franchise. Several have gone on prove they were much better than what they showed during their time with that team.

Schultz may well be able to develop into a pretty slick offensive defenseman with at least passable skills away from the puck. That type of player, if used correctly, could have real value for this team (especially with a RH shot).

But I wouldn't trade for him. It just becomes too difficult to get his salary down where it needs to be if you show his agent that you were willing to pay assets for him "as is." Schultz needs to be "beat up" a little by free agency (like not qualified and then languishing on the market for a while after he turns UFA). Under those circumstances, he becomes worthy of taking a flyer on (but not before IMO).

On 2/1/2016 at 0:05 AM, Alflives said:

It was the Gillis regime who lusted after J. Schultz.  From what we have learned about JBs value on character and toughness, do we think he would have any interest in Schultz?  I really don't think he would.

There were bunch of teams after Shultz, not just Gillis. At the time he came out of college he looked like the real deal. I can remember people on CDC screaming for Gillis to get him and screamed at him because he couldn't. He was just one of those guys that looked good and so far has failed to show it in the big's. He made his own bed with the Coil and shat in it.

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Schultz is pending RFA (IIRC) and given his salary, I'd have little interest in picking up his rights. His next contract needs to be lower than the max cut arbitration award before he'd make financial sense IMO. So wait until the Oilers don't qualify him and he hits UFA. Then if he's one of those guys that doesn't get much interest and is contract-less after the summer and facing down the possibility of a PTO and training camp tryouts, maybe sign him on the cheap as a reclamation project.

I don't think he's straight garbage but he needs a salary re-set and he needs to be somewhat "rebuilt" as a player. But history has shown us that former Oiler goalies and defenseman shouldn't be fully judged by what they accomplished during their time with that sorry franchise. Several have gone on prove they were much better than what they showed during their time with that team.

Schultz may well be able to develop into a pretty slick offensive defenseman with at least passable skills away from the puck. That type of player, if used correctly, could have real value for this team (especially with a RH shot).

But I wouldn't trade for him. It just becomes too difficult to get his salary down where it needs to be if you show his agent that you were willing to pay assets for him "as is." Schultz needs to be "beat up" a little by free agency (like not qualified and then languishing on the market for a while after he turns UFA). Under those circumstances, he becomes worthy of taking a flyer on (but not before IMO).

that really sounds like you just described Yannick Weber

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2016 at 9:30 PM, Silky mitts said:

Remember when CDC had a panic attack that the oilers signed the next coming of bobby orr? Good times

Coming out of college there was every reason to be excited.  The guy had a checklist of all the physical tools and skills to be great!

Its hard to tell whether it was the genius of Oiler development, a hole in Schultz's heart or a switch upstairs that never got turned on that messed it all up?

I still would definitely taken the chance at the time!

Archived