The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning Talking To Media

Boddy604

19 minutes ago, lolwut? said:

Well yeah.. I mean, everyone around here could obviously do a far better job than JB.. That's why its so surprising he hasn't been fired yet to be replaced by one the armchair gms around here..

Madness I tell you!!

Or we could admit that JB messed up and hold it against him like we did against Gillis (you know, because it's his job).

Instead, this turns into a "JB is a GM that is not afraid to admit a mistakes!"

He can do no wrong.

Just now, guntrix said:

Or we could admit that JB messed up and hold it against him like we did against Gillis (you know, because it's his job).

He can do no wrong.

I don't necessarily think people believe he can do no wrong.. but maybe they're willing to cut him some slack on account of the job he's done thus far with the team he inherited.  

For me, the verdict is still out on JB.. For now I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

And what were you hoping for with Prust? CDC seems to think that he was gonna show more than he showed here despite his career statistics showing that he was nothing more than a fringe NHLer with overrated toughness. 

We got the same old aging Prust that played with the Canadiens, minus the tantrum.

Honestly I agree with guntrix here. Prust was terrible last year. Who knows what Benning saw in him?

1 hour ago, guntrix said:

He can do no wrong.

The ability to admit mistakes and the transparency that Linden and Benning have provided the fan base should be valued as a good thing? 

All along they said it was about developing our own prospects, and winning. I would argue they are exceeding expectations considering we are in the thick of a playoff hunt while moving out veterans. When  you look at the moves with a macro-level perspective, I can agree with what this regime is doing. 

We're only a few points out of the playoffs still, I wouldn't say this season is done and dusted and we should be packing up just yet. But Prust to the AHL as well as Higgins makes our current team better as well which just highlights how bad they both were.

I maintain we need to see more Shinkaruk and Gaunce in the later games of this season so they get a better idea of what to expect for next season. They're two real diamonds in the rough, a future top-6 skilled winger and a fantastic bottom-6 powerforward. They've done their time and they're proving that they deserve to be in the NHL this season, so with Prust and Higgins finally out they should hopefully get a chance.

10 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

Seem like JB is going to trade away and waive players until WD ices the team he wants. I like it. JB wants to play the young guys,  WD wants to make the playoffs. Young guys it is. 

Some of the moves and comments management has made almost reminds me of the movie Moneyball.

The coach won't play Pitts players so he just trades the players the coach continues to play.

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Honestly I agree with guntrix here. Prust was terrible last year. Who knows what Benning saw in him?

Benning saw a roster player (Prust) being able to replace a player who had talent but was on a one-way ticket to alcoholics anonymous and out of a roster spot (Kassian). I'd make that trade too. It doesnt matter that Prust was/is a plug. A plug who is going to play is a better option than a talented kid who has too much off-ice issues to be a successful AHL-er, let alone NHL-er.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

NO I WON'T ENJOY IT ONE BLOODY BIT.  

im with you 100% on this matter.  Like you have posted many times, it shouldn't matter to JB where our time is in the standings.  The UFAs need to be traded for the best asset we can get.  JB is such an arrogant beggar, that he thinks he can build a Cup team drafting at the bottom of the rounds.  HE'S WRONG!  And it seems like you and me are the only two who are willing to accept the truth.  We are going to be stuck in the middle of the pack forever as long as JB is GM.  He's an arrogant fool.

Sarcasm, right?

14 hours ago, gameburn said:

Be interesting to see who qualifies as the "kids" who will be getting a lot more ice time.  If it is Shink and Gaunce as well as the players already on the roster, well, the season will be a lot of fun.  Maybe playoffs, probably not, but certainly interesting.  Much closer to what most of us have wanted for a couple of months.  Kind of a subtle tank lol, light to medium tank, Recon size.

Stealth tank.

15 hours ago, The Sedge said:

If that is his worst moment then we are doing just fine.  Kassian had problems, Prust looked promising.  When Prust didn't deliver JB cut his losses.  That to me sounds like a GM that isn't afraid to admit a mistake.  I like it.

Yep...everyone makes mistakes and miscalculations. The smart guy is the one who doesn't double-down on them. JB is on top of things.

40 minutes ago, By sea and land said:

Love Benning as our GM.  He's doing a terrific job.

Yup Great GM . We currently have the worst prospect pool in the NHL.  We have basically no top line prospects in our system. 

Canucks fan foolishly over rate our prospects and pretend our 2nd and 3 rd line prospects might someday be top line superstars.

Wow Great work JB.  Great accomplishment.

The truth is that we have a long road to get our club back to another Presidents Trophy.  One  step at a time but  a few top prospects are going to be required. 

12 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

will you enjoy not capitalizing on trading ufa's and not getting decent prospects over playoffs?

Exactly what I hope does not happen this year. expiring assets need to realize a end net return an picks an prospects a sure fire way to go smart with youth now not later.

Good point Desi the team needs to act sooner not later ,I fear TDL on the 11 th hour may be to long to hang on to the hand .If decent offers are out there now is time get into serious negotiating mode an let the UFA s go an net back what ever happens to be the best returns rather than lose assets come July for nothing.

7 minutes ago, Heated Blue said:

I'm liking the changes we are seeing.  A lot more youth and speed makes for more exciting games even when we lose.  Will be interesting to see what they do to complete the rebuild.  The rest of the year should be pretty exciting.

Yes, but he's given Virtanen, McCann and Hutton more than half a year of NHL development before cutting the underperforming vets.  So Benning has given these guys some time until he knows that they can handle the responsibility.

Developing players properly is more important than drafting high.  Benning drafts guys who have good character and a good work ethic (and have overcome adversity in some cases) because he knows they will work hard and learn and get better.  We know these guys will continue to improve until they're 25 or older.  If it doesn't look like some of these guys can be top line players now.  Give it a couple of years.  There are no sure things but the picture may change.

Benning did say that most of his drafts will be spending some time in the AHL.  Virtanen and McCann are exceptions because they can play NHL and their birthdays were late.  The typical development scenario will be what Shinkaruk and Gaunce are going through.

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Please just go away. 

Drummer, you know there's an easy way to make that happen, right?

Just click on your name on the black bar, choose Ignored Users and fill in the name of the user whose posts you'd rather not read.

Then anyone else who has put the same user as you on ignore gets the benefit of not seeing his posts when you quote him in reply.

12 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

LOL at people complaining about a 5th round pick.

Exactly. Let's talk about the 1st round pick of Hodgson that ultimately yielded nothing but problems and wasted time.

A 5th round pick is little more than a gift certificate for a burger and fries.

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Yes, but he's given Virtanen, McCann and Hutton more than half a year of NHL development before cutting the underperforming vets.  So Benning has given these guys some time until he knows that they can handle the responsibility.

Developing players properly is more important than drafting high.  Benning drafts guys who have good character and a good work ethic (and have overcome adversity in some cases) because he knows they will work hard and learn and get better.  We know these guys will continue to improve until they're 25 or older.  If it doesn't look like some of these guys can be top line players now.  Give it a couple of years.  There are no sure things but the picture may change.

Benning did say that most of his drafts will be spending some time in the AHL.  Virtanen and McCann are exceptions because they can play NHL and their birthdays were late.  The typical development scenario will be what Shinkaruk and Gaunce are going through.

No I agree, I do want the kids to get a chance but I also don't want to see them rushed into the NHL too quickly.  I have seen way too many young guys make the jump to early and screw up their development.  I expect Benning will pick up another young prospect/player or two that are basically NHL ready to fill the gap till our draft picks are ready.

Archived