The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Free Willy ?

kingofsurrey

Firing Desjardins this year would be a bad decision: that would give the Canucks 4 coaches in 5 years and also, if you're going to hire Green, it'll ruin the development and relationships he's building with Shinker, Gaunce, Subban, Zalewski, and Pedan in a way. They're thriving under his development in the AHL, and he's unlikely to get poached before season's end.

I disagree with a lot of WD's decisions this year, esp. around Baertschi and Virtanen, but the fact that he still has 21 wins with the team's roster and injuries is actually kind of impressive.

Plus, consistency is important. Having a revolving door of coaches has rarely worked (ask the Oilers, ask the Ley-Renney-Keenan-Crawford in 5 years). Chemistry is created in consistent systems and personnel.

Wait until the end of the season and then assess Willie's year. I personally would like to open next year with Travis Green and Mike Johnston back as assistant behind the Canucks bench. A number of players gaming for a spot will have played under Green going into next year and played well: Baertschi, Markstrom, Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Biega, Zalewski, Pedan, and Alex Friesen and Alex Grenier might be in the mix. Guys like Subban, Labate and Kenins who might get calls over the next couple years will also be familiar with him. Mike Johnston has coached the Sedins to their first breakouts, Burrows in his first years, Sutter to a 21 goal season, Baertschi to a spot in the WHL finals twice one with Baer leading the team in points.

But I think patience is a better route around Desjardins. 

27 minutes ago, Adamth said:

wd isnt making the smartest choices ... hmm

But how would someone like you know? Seriously.

How would any of us know. We are all just fans who know jack s---t about coaching a team in the NHL yet reading through some of the clown posts on here some people are not even aware of the fact that player strategy is dictated by Senior management at a time like this.

Worse still are the idiots who listen to the dimwits on radio and TV stations (who are so good at coaching, they sit on their fat asses in studios all day talking any cr-p that they think will keep up their ratings) then come on here and regurgitate it like it was gospel.

As I have said before our fans will get the team they deserve.

38 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

willie is doing alright....he doesn't have to suit cdc...he has a little more experience than us...take a valium.

Op is constantly bashing the team but he spins it like a politician to make it sound innocent and like he means well.  One day these "fans" will  get bored with their own antics... Hopefully

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Free Willy ?

Is it time to free Willy ?

If Willy is playing Burrows on the third line ahead of Jake on the 4th line ?

If Willy is scratching McCann yet again. ?  He refuses to  consistently start our number 1 goalie Marky Marky Markstrom 

Is it time to FREE WILLY ?  Bring in Travis Green ?

No

Not doing exactly as fans want in term of lineup choices is not what gets coaches fired. 

Desjardins is is trying to hold together a team in huge transition (vets past their prime and rookies not yet ready) while dealing with significant injuries to key players. 

Even if in the end he isn't the best coach, I'd suggest that what's happening now with the team would be hard for any coach to deal with. 

I have questioned as many moves as AV, and about the same as WD. Where as AV had his favourites, so does WD. Where as I can't figure out what type of strategy WD has. AV pretty much had a system, and he would pretty much NEVER deviate from that system. It's a system that works so I don't blame him. However AV gets out-coached. Sort of like when you learn to break a trap system you are kind of messed up if your opponents have a fast team. 

In fact Pat Quinn was probably as a coach, was one of the best coaches I've ever seen. Did he make bad drafting decisions yes. But as a bench boss he was awesome. Scotty Bowman, Quenneville, and Larry Robinson are awesome too. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  Regardless, the fact that WD kept playing Weber before he got sent down despite having options capable of filling in without being massive liabilities is reason enough that he has to go at the end of the season.  We can't risk having a coach that bad at evaluating talent going forward.

You need to work on your understanding of "fact".

Why Travis and how many games will he coach before the negative comments about his lack of coaching abilities start?  I think if Willie is not here next year Trevor should hire a coach that has coached at this level.  Hiring a head coach that has not coached in the NHL would probably be a mistake. With the direction the Canucks are going an experienced NHL coach would help with the transition. 

Archived