The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Craig Button's top 50 drafted prospects

Toews

Button just posted his top 50 list. He has left out all prospects that are up with their teams so Virtanen and McCann are excluded. Anyway the Canucks have 2 prospects in the top 20 (one of 4 teams to do so) in Thatcher Demko (#15) and Brock Boeser (#20). Both have had stellar years in college and look well on track in their development. 

The most interesting name on the list to me is Connor Garland who was a 5th round pick of the Coyotes despite leading the QMJHL in points and he is doing it again this year. It will be interesting to see if he can carry forward that production in the pros, if he does then he makes a lot of scouts look really bad.

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn-hockey-s-top-50-nhl-affiliated-prospects-1.436669

Canucks top 5 prospects according to Button.

1) Demko

2) Boeser

3) Shinkaruk

4) Olson

5) Brisebois

2 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

No Gaunce? I wonder if thats because he played a game this  year

Edit: He usually does these ratings on potential so he must not see Gaunce as a top 6, but he sees Olson and  Brisebois as top 4 defence man

Yeah I can see why he doesn't value Gaunce much. Guys like him never get any attention from scouts, but he can pan out as a very good bottom 6 player.

Just now, J-Dizzle said:

I knew Button would put Nylander at the top before I looked. 

It's fairly obvious he was going to be #1. Most of the competition from his draft year is already in the NHL. The guys drafted this year are still in junior and he leads the AHL in ppg at age 19.

Edmonton and Calgary with none in the top-50, and their top-5 aren't exactly blue-chippers.  Their best prospects are already in the league, compared to the Canucks who still have perhaps their best two yet to come.  Looks to me like their rebuild has topped-out a bit, whereas the Canucks are just getting started.

No sure about Olson and Brisebois... Gaunce and Subban are pretty much no brainers in the 4 / 5 spot. Subban is on pace for 52 points as an AHL rookie defenseman. Subban is outscoring every other defenseman (ppg) drafted in the top two rounds of 2013. The only player close to his production is Shea Theodore who is now in the NHL and has 6 points in 13 games .

Yes he is small, and yes he will have some defensive struggles, but his offensive ability is too good to ignore. 

Gaunce is a solid prospect, should be a good bottom six player for us. 

The fact that Tate Olson is in the top 5 should be a huge win for Canucks management. Seventh rounders rarely pan out but it really does look like we've found a gem in Olson. He's already a far more exciting prospect then Evan McEney or Anton Cederholm will ever be. If Tate Olson can turn into even a borderline NHLer, it'll be a success.

Oh Button, No wonder he stunk as an NHL GM.

Shink is only 6 points behind Nylander in AHL scoring and not even in the Canucks top 5 prospects?

Hunter actually has 3 more goals than Nylander, albeit he is a bit older but still worthy of a mention considering almost most other players ahead of him in AHL scorers are minor league journeymen.

At the very least, Shink should be ahead of Ryan Hartman on the Button list.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Some great players never made his list.  

Pavel Zacha? Gurianov, Svechnikov...

I maybe wrong but I am pretty sure I saw Svech in there.

1 hour ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Oh Button, No wonder he stunk as an NHL GM.

Shink is only 6 points behind Nylander in AHL scoring and not even in the Canucks top 5 prospects?

Hunter actually has 3 more goals than Nylander, albeit he is a bit older but still worthy of a mention considering almost most other players ahead of him in AHL scorers are minor league journeymen.

At the very least, Shink should be ahead of Ryan Hartman on the Button list.

Shink is there at #3 on the Canucks list. In any list such as this, some notable names are absent. Button's lists are based on his opinion on the upside of these guys.

Archived