The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

For Dog Owners and Dog Lovers

whcanuck

52 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

i agree, pitbulls are such a great dog....most loyal and friendliest breed ive ever owned.

i dont recommend them for people in apartments though.

Yeah def a breed that needs some space.   Even though pitties may think they are lap dogs they aren't lol     No joke the most loving, protective, friendly breed I have had the pleasure to be around.

11 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

What ever you do don't support POS breeders/mills.

Make sure its from a shelter/rescue organization.

Good luck. 

I would +100 this if I could.  OP, if you are a good dog owner/pet parent, nothing will make you happier than knowing you've given an animal who probably didn't get the best start in life a chance at real happiness, and they will loyally love you for it.  

Also, I was never a small dog person.  Wanted to get a German Shepard cross like you, but after hearing so much about the personality of chihuahua's, the misses and I adopted a chi/terrier cross.  He's about the size of a pug and we absolutely adore him.  Him and the cat are hilarious together.  Really, any size dog is great,but if you want to run or hike with your dog than for sure, you might want a medium sized dog.  

When it comes down to it, you need to see the dog for yourself and see what it's energy level/needs are like.  Dogs, unlike cats, sometimes require lot's of attention and you just can't leave them alone for long periods of time.  They are like 2 year old kids that need your attention because they are social animals.  Some don't mind being left home alone during the day but definitely don't just assume you are going to get a dog like this.  Be prepared to dedicate a lot of time to your animal if it is going to need it.   Admittedly, I didn't really think about how much responsibility my dog required (a rescue with severe separation anxiety), but then again I love animals and have no problem whatever I have to do build his confidence/make him happy.  

Goodluck and let us know how it goes.  

On 2/17/2016 at 9:36 PM, ILL BILL NECRO said:

If you ask me large dogs should not live in an apartment. You should consider smaller dogs.  You say you cant get a German Shepard but  you like huskeys and labs.... All 3 are the same size really.

The size of a dog is immaterial when it comes to apartment living. You need to match your living space with the activity level of the breed you want. You can easily have a massive bull mastiff in an apartment as it is a generally low energy dog despite it's size. As previously stated, the best thing to do is research the breed and tailor it to your lifestyle and living conditions rather than making an emotional or looks based decision.

Do some research on some dog breeds you'd be interested in and see if there is a rescue for a breed or a few in your area.  I work with a Bull Terrier rescue (I have 2) and can tell you that there are great benefits from going to a rescue.  It's cheaper, the dogs aren't from a puppy mill/pet store and a real important reason is that the people that foster the dogs will be able to tell you about the dog's personality, behavior, if it gets a long with other dogs or cats, maintenance level, exercise requirements etc.  That way you'll be very confident that the dog you adopt will be a good fit to be a new part of your family.  And there is no better feeling than knowing you rescued a dog in need of a good home.  My wife and I have fostered 4 dogs as of late and they were all adopted by great families and have a happy new forever home.

If there are no rescues, check out the local shelter.  I've seen some GREAT dogs come from shelters.  Best of luck to ya. 

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

Does anyone have any experience with Australian Shepherds, either miniature or normal?

I don't have any personal experience, as in owning one, but I know people who do and they love'em.  A guy I work with sometimes brings his two to work on his off days to walk them on the wooded trails at the site.  They're both very friendly.  I've heard that they shed a lot though so have a good vacuum and a lint roller handy!

1 hour ago, Jägermeister said:

Does anyone have any experience with Australian Shepherds, either miniature or normal?

I haven't had them, but different siblings have (normal-size version).  Nice, friendly dogs, but reasonably high maintenance from an attention standpoint.  If you get one, be prepared to spend some decent time with them.  They seem good with kids too, if that's part of your situation.

6 hours ago, Jägermeister said:

Similar to border collies in energy level and intelligence. They need an active and engaged owner or they won't be happy.

Ya.

I own a lab husky shepherd cross.

Wicked dog, but he requires a bare minimum of 2 hours of hard exercise a day otherwise he becomes restless and unhappy.

Dogs arent just a kewl thing you buy.

Do some research and learn how to properly train it.

It isn't about being physically abusive with it, or dominating it or any of that horse $&!# I see every day from clueless owners. It's about being stern with it and consistent. Having a dog is rewarding as hell, and it challenges me daily but if you want a non toy dog (one with a brain) you need to be prepared for work!!!

On February 19, 2016 at 11:33 AM, Jägermeister said:

I've had Shelite's (Shetland Sheepdog) when I was growing up, they're not dissimilar to Australian Shepherds. Very intelligent, loyal, protective, a lil' bit barky, require more exercise, but Aussie Shepherds shed a lot less than Shelties. 

On 2/19/2016 at 10:33 AM, Bocivus said:

I don't have any personal experience, as in owning one, but I know people who do and they love'em.  A guy I work with sometimes brings his two to work on his off days to walk them on the wooded trails at the site.  They're both very friendly.  I've heard that they shed a lot though so have a good vacuum and a lint roller handy!

On 2/19/2016 at 11:06 AM, Kragar said:

I haven't had them, but different siblings have (normal-size version).  Nice, friendly dogs, but reasonably high maintenance from an attention standpoint.  If you get one, be prepared to spend some decent time with them.  They seem good with kids too, if that's part of your situation.

On 2/19/2016 at 3:53 PM, elvis15 said:

Similar to border collies in energy level and intelligence. They need an active and engaged owner or they won't be happy.

29 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

I've had Shelite's (Shetland Sheepdog) when I was growing up, they're not dissimilar to Australian Shepherds. Very intelligent, loyal, protective, a lil' bit barky, require more exercise, but Aussie Shepherds shed a lot less than Shelties. 

Pretty much sounds like exactly what I'd be looking for in a dog (minus the shedding, but that's not a major issue for me).  Leaning towards the miniatures as there size appeals more to what my living situation will be like for the next few years.

I always wanted a Pug, but I'm skeptical due to their potential health problems, and the fact that they are probably too small to take on any long hikes.

23 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Pretty much sounds like exactly what I'd be looking for in a dog (minus the shedding, but that's not a major issue for me).  Leaning towards the miniatures as there size appeals more to what my living situation will be like for the next few years.

I always wanted a Pug, but I'm skeptical due to their potential health problems, and the fact that they are probably too small to take on any long hikes.

Alf knows all about the Ausie.  Mrs. Alf and I have had Ausies for the past twenty years - three at once for one stint.  They are EXTREMELY loyal, and will protect their herd - you and your girlfriend and her Pom.  We were riding our horses along a trail followed by one of our Ausies.  A German Shepherd and a Rotweiler came at us from behind.  They didn't get to the horses because our sixty pound Ausie intercepted them, and took them both on.  Our guy chased them both off as well.  All our Ausies have passed away but one.  We live in a small house now, with a very small yard.  He loves it.  The Ausie will adapt to where you live.  All they want is to be with you, and serve your needs.  Our guy helps Mrs Alf pick up stuff dropped.  He even helps with the laundry.  These are the best dogs, and I would highly recommend one.  We are older now, so this guy will be our last.  We will absolutely miss him, as we do with all the ones we have had.  

I heard the worry about shedding.  I brush our guy a couple times a week.  That's all he needs, although he would like more - he really enjoys it.  We never bathed any of our Ausies.  A regular brushing is all they need to smell fresh and clean.  Plus the don't drool. And they have only a stubby tale, so their cute bums stay clean.  

They are EXTREMELY intelligent and wonderful dogs.  I have no experience with the miniature ones.  

My wife and I own a Prembroke Welsh Corgi.  Despite what most people think, they're actually classified as medium sized dogs. 

We trained ours to be social at a very early age, maybe a tad bit too social as Corgis tend to be shy. 

They have alot of energy and require alot of excercise.  They can also develop back issues later in life due to their long torsos and stumpy little legs. 

Corgis also shed like crazy and require alot of brushing.  But overall they're awesome dogs and are great pets. 

Archived