The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRADE] Leafs Trade Polak & Spaling to SJS

I read a few days back an interview with a gm saying the days of the rental for a 1st rounder are over. 

Everybody getting excited about what Hamhuis will fetch but the reality is Benning is no Lou when it comes to trades and moving assets.

With Benning Hamhuis will be lucky to get us a 2nd. (Hamhuis +4 for 2nd that looks like a Benning deal)

Not to mention the really gm Aqualoser still thinks he's going to make the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure how anyone can use this to try to make fun of the leafs. They are doing EXACTLY what Benning should be doing. If Polak can get two 2nds from a bubble team what should Hamhuis get from a top contender?

If Benning does not move Hamhuis it had better be made very clear that he will not waive. That might be a reality if he thinks Van will not re-sign him as a UFA. That also might be a reality as I do not see a place for Hammer next fall. Perhaps one more season but that is all. I find it hard to believe that with his injury time that Hamhuis would not want that last shot at a CUP.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure how anyone can use this to try to make fun of the leafs. They are doing EXACTLY what Benning should be doing. If Polak can get two 2nds from a bubble team what should Hamhuis get from a top contender?

This.

The Leafs currently hold the most picks in this AND next years draft to the best of my knowledge and will ensure they can manage to grab more.

They have more money on IR than they do in their line up.

Hard to sit and whinge about the Leafs when their literally building for their future in ways that make Edmonton weep less than a year in to a new management group.

With Lou and Shanahan overseeing ops and with babcock having some say in who they'll draft the Leafs are paving the way for what could be an exciting future.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

I don't know that anyone can state that as a 100% fact at this point. Not likely but we just saw Polak traded for two 2nds. GMs are known to be stupid sometimes.

Fair enough but I'm very doubtful he gets a 1st. Also Dmen seem to be more expensive for playoff runs.

2 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

What the hell is Benning doing? There's a lot of bad teams trading their vets off and if he doesn't wake up soon, he'll be left hanging...  WAKE UP BENNING!!!

The story of the Canucks is a day late and a dollar short. They have always been slow on identifying long term league trends and on what action to take to build for the long term for decades. That needs to change but it probably won't. We will likely hang on to our vets and have them walk for nothing. It's just what the Canucks do unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

This.

The Leafs currently hold the most picks in this AND next years draft to the best of my knowledge and will ensure they can manage to grab more.

They have more money on IR than they do in their line up.

Hard to sit and whinge about the Leafs when their literally building for their future in ways that make Edmonton weep less than a year in to a new management group.

With Lou and Shanahan overseeing ops and with babcock having some say in who they'll draft the Leafs are paving the way for what could be an exciting future.

When Lou woke up the other night during the Laffer game his wrath fell upon poor Shawn. Yes, the Mathias man who has faked Swedish citizenship ala Coach Cherry, during his NHL career.  

What's the over/under on anyone believing Benning if he says, "Well, we just couldn't get anything done. Trade talks around the league have been real quiet."

On another pet peeve note, in the next CBA can the NHL and NHLPA please negotiate in a mandatory educational service for all management, coaches, and players to be taught that "real good" is not proper English? These guys are managing and/or making billions of dollars, can they at least try to fake that they are smarter than people who don't?

There's a lot more variables than just "player X  got this return so player Y must be worth the same"

What GM's are willing to pay year to year changes.  How many teams are bidding, How big a piece of the puzzle the player they're trading for is considered to be. How legitimate a shot at the cup the team has.  Age of the player, Whether he's strictly a rental or if the team would want him to potentially keep him.

Hamhuis may very well get a 1st +, but it's far from a forgone conclusion.  That's assuming he even agrees to waive

Archived