The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund | #60 | C/W

Johnny Torts

I've said for a while that Granlund would be a good fit for the twins. Gives up size and grit but gives us a smart player, good shot, and someone who can pass with the twins. He's had success with them on the shift after a PK for a while now, it's about time WD gave his head and lines this much needed shake.

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

"Elite potential"?  First time I've heard Shinkaruk being described as having elite potential, though I guess there was some wishful thinking when Gillis drafted him 24th overall.  A late first rounder in the bantam draft (albeit his broken leg probably had a little something-something to do with this) and a late NHL first rounder hardly qualifies Shink as having elite potential.  I'm going bet that he's going to be a long shot to have a lasting NHL career, let alone realize his elite potential.

Pretty sure Truck was talking about the many, many complaints on CDC after the trade. A lot of posters apparently felt Shink had elite potential and Granny was a waste of bench space. It was a staple of the JB haters' platforms for a while.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Pretty sure Truck was talking about the many, many complaints on CDC after the trade. A lot of posters apparently felt Shink had elite potential and Granny was a waste of bench space. It was a staple of the JB haters' platforms for a while.

Yeah. A lot of CDC thought Shinky reminded them of Patrick Kane, and that was his ceiling. A little much asking that of Hunter Shinkaruk.

I mean, I was excited to see what he can do too, but to immediately think he might turn into a Patrick Kane one day is a little crazy.

11 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

"Elite potential"?  First time I've heard Shinkaruk being described as having elite potential, though I guess there was some wishful thinking when Gillis drafted him 24th overall.  A late first rounder in the bantam draft (albeit his broken leg probably had a little something-something to do with this) and a late NHL first rounder hardly qualifies Shink as having elite potential.  I'm going bet that he's going to be a long shot to have a lasting NHL career, let alone realize his elite potential.

10 hours ago, ajhockey said:

Shink was ranked as high as 9th by some scouts and he dropped largely because of his size I'd say. I believed Shinkaruk has elite potential, but as time has gone on, I'm starting to think it's a pretty long shot for him to actual realized that potential. Even if he makes it to the NHL full-time, I wouldn't bet on him being much more than a 20-goal guy at best.

Sorry for not making the sarcasm more obvious.  I knew that Granlund was gonna be good and I was furious that so many idiots thought they could make grand pronouncements on how he was one 22 year old that would never improve.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Sorry for not making the sarcasm more obvious.  I knew that Granlund was gonna be good and I was furious that so many idiots thought they could make grand pronouncements on how he was one 22 year old that would never improve.

Granlund is an average player, at best.  Sure he's better than Shinkaruk, but that's not saying much.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Granlund is an average player, at best.  Sure he's better than Shinkaruk, but that's not saying much.

An everage player puts him above average for our team. Especially our forwards. Let's not forget he is still young and can still improve even further. While some are over hyping granny, I think you undervalued him.

1 minute ago, Gooseberries said:

An everage player puts him above average for our team. Especially our forwards. Let's not forget he is still young and can still improve even further. While some are over hyping granny, I think you undervalued him.

I'm not saying I don't like Granlund, but really he is a middle six guy, who (in a pinch) can play top line minutes for short periods, on a poor team.  He's never going to 'drive' the play, and make his line-mates better.  IMHAO, we have one forward who is young and is a difference maker - Bo.  Like I said, I do like Granlund in a supporting role.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm not saying I don't like Granlund, but really he is a middle six guy, who (in a pinch) can play top line minutes for short periods, on a poor team.  He's never going to 'drive' the play, and make his line-mates better.  IMHAO, we have one forward who is young and is a difference maker - Bo.  Like I said, I do like Granlund in a supporting role.

Granny does have great hands and instincts tho, which I'm not sure you can teach. Thats probably why Benning traded for him and the biggest difference between Skink and Granny. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WhoseTruckWasIt said:

Every opinion of yours have been proven incorrect, so I'll take your proclamation as further confirmation.

When I was a child, I had a yellow Tonka truck.  I used to park my furry rear on it, and ride that sucker down steep hills.  It was a marvelous truck.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Again I get what your saying. Granlund is an average player. But he's not. He's an above average young player trending up. 

This year he is an average 2nd line point producer. Above average 3rd line point producer all while providing above average defensive play.

To go further in depth your average statement would make;

Eriksson

Konecny 

Bergland

Landeskog

Toffoli

Vesey

Neal

Evander kane

Rick Nash

RNH

Backes

Parise

Palat

Lindholm

all just "average" middle six players. Once you factor in that Granlund a

is younger than half these guys, one can say thathat Granlund will at worst be an average NHLer if used properly. Possibly even a low end top lines winger for let's say Vegas...

• Upvote 3

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Again I get what your saying. Granlund is an average player. But he's not. He's an above average young player trending up. 

This year he is an average 2nd line point producer. Above average 3rd line point producer all while providing above average defensive play.

Eriksson

Konecny 

Bergland

Landeskog

Toffoli

Vesey

Neal

Evander kane

Rick Nash

RNH

Backes

Parise

Palat

Lindholm

is younger than half these guys, one can say thathat Granlund will at worst be an average NHLer if used properly. Possibly even a low end top lines winger for let's say Vegas...

Good post.  Clearly JB won the trade.  With your evidence should JB protect Granlund over Baer?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Good post.  Clearly JB won the trade.  With your evidence should JB protect Granlund over Baer?  

I think that he should package one or the other in a trade, or trade with vegas for agreement to not selct the exposed one of the two. Losing one for nothing would be a mistake.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

Eriksson

Konecny 

Bergland

Landeskog

Toffoli

Vesey

Neal

Evander kane

Rick Nash

RNH

Backes

Parise

Palat

Lindholm

Not everyone has played the same amount of games.  Parise, Kane are producing at close to a 0.6 pace.  Granlund is at 0.4.  Over a full season it's 48pts vs 32pts.

There are 345 forwards with 35 games or more this season, his pace has him at 190th among them.  

There are too many Cs that play wing so looking by position is not quite accurate - himself is marked as C but plays both wings.

1 minute ago, mll said:

Not everyone has played the same amount of games.  Parise, Kane are producing at close to a 0.6 pace.  Granlund is at 0.4.  Over a full season it's 48pts vs 32pts.

There are 345 forwards with 35 games or more this season, his pace has him at 190th among them.  

There are too many Cs that play wing so looking by position is not quite accurate - himself is marked as C but plays both wings.

Sshhhhh. I know that.

But it worked to get alf out of this thread lol.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

They were saying the same thing about his brother in Minny. Conventional thought says you are right as a middle six.