The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins Capable Of Emulating 36 yr old Thornton next year?

rizzuto&hatoum

Jumbo Joe is having a great year points-wise, sitting in 8th place in the scoring race with 69 pts and showing little sign of declining play. Are the Sedins capable of emulating Thornton's renewed scoring prowess when they're 36 next year? I think they can.

Maybe SJ has better supporting players than the Nucks, but there were talks about blowing up the Sharks after last year's playoff and were in a similar situation as the Canucks but SJ seems to have righted the ship and have played relatively well this year.

14 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

Jumbo Joe is having a great year points-wise, sitting in 8th place in the scoring race with 69 pts and showing little sign of declining play. Are the Sedins capable of emulating Thornton's renewed scoring prowess when they're 36 next year? I think they can.

Maybe SJ has better supporting players than the Nucks, but there were talks about blowing up the Sharks after last year's playoff and were in a similar situation as the Canucks but SJ seems to have righted the ship and have played relatively well this year.

Nah. The Sedins aren't immense douchebags like Strokin Thornton. 

At this point I don't care what happens to the Sedin's as long as the development of our kids goes fine. They shouldn't even need to be putting up Thornton numbers at this point in their careers, they should be picking apart the oppositions depth comfortably in a second line role.

That being said no, I don't think they're capable. Their fitness level will not overcome the toll age has taken. You can see it in the latter half of every game how lethargic and slow they become. The Sedin's have never been ones to be a step behind the play, we're seeing it for the first time this year.

I'd say they're good for 60-65 points.

8 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

At this point I don't care what happens to the Sedin's as long as the development of our kids goes fine. They shouldn't even need to be putting up Thornton numbers at this point in their careers, they should be picking apart the oppositions depth comfortably in a second line role.

That being said no, I don't think they're capable. Their fitness level will not overcome the toll age has taken. You can see it in the latter half of every game how lethargic and slow they become. The Sedin's have never been ones to be a step behind the play, we're seeing it for the first time this year.

I'm absolutely fine with this.

16 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

i am a big sedin supporter

but i am doubtful on the 60-65 point expectation

they are in a decline

maybe an upgrade at right wing on their line will rejuvenate them

but i think somewhere in the 50s points would be ok

You hit the nail on the head with "maybe SJ has better supporting players". If you're playing SJ, you can't just key on in Thornton and Marleau. You gotta worry about Pavelski, Couture, and Burns, plus young guys like Hertl and Donskoi. If you're playing the Canucks you can easily set up your top d-pair and checking unit against the Sedins because who else is there to worry about?

If a couple of our young players can take steps forward next year it'll take pressure off the Sedins and they can definitely keep flourishing for a few more years.

Thornton & Marleau are quite similar to the Sedins in terms of overall career, age, impact to franchise.. But SJS was never really in a Vancouver situation. Look at their supporting cast.

Joe Pavelski

Brent Burns

Logan Couture

Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Tomas Hertl

Joel Ward

Joonas Donskoi

Tommy Wingels

Justin Braun

Matthew Nieto

Chris Tierney

Thornton plays with one of Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Hertl, Donskoi on any given night, while the Sedins have had scrubs for the most part.

if we give the Sedins the same caliber linemates Thornton plays with i'm sure they'll have similar if not better production..  he has the luxury of playing with guys like Hertl Pavelski Burns Marleau Ward not all the time but up and down the lineup along with the powerplay.. all those guys can put the pucks in the net which is majority of Thorntons assist.. the Sedins? well they play with um Hansen Virtanen Virbata etc etc combined under 40 goals lol those guys combined oh only just a 115 goals not including Courture who's been injured for half a season lol

For the most part, those SJ wingers were also there the last 5 years, yet the Sedins have outpointed Thornton for most of those 5 years but somehow this year Thornton has been "rejuvenated" at the age of 36. My point is that the Sedins can also be "rejuvenated" at some point in the next couple of years.

If they aren't relied upon to score 60% of our goals we'll be good.

They need a supporting cast and role players that keep other teams honest and they'll be fine.

I expect them to come back strong next season knowing the competitors they are.

1 hour ago, Patrick Kane said:

Thornton & Marleau are quite similar to the Sedins in terms of overall career, age, impact to franchise.. But SJS was never really in a Vancouver situation. Look at their supporting cast.

Joe Pavelski

Brent Burns

Logan Couture

Marc-Edouard Vlasic

Tomas Hertl

Joel Ward

Joonas Donskoi

Tommy Wingels

Justin Braun

Matthew Nieto

Chris Tierney

Thornton plays with one of Pavelski, Couture, Marleau, Hertl, Donskoi on any given night, while the Sedins have had scrubs for the most part.

And Sedin plays with Sedin on any given night...

Great players, but lets face it, they are slowing down. 

Sedins and Thornton are very comparable.  Whether the Sedins transcend their 60ish point pace of this year will depend on whether they are given a true first line sniping winger to work with next year.

Otherwise, expect this year, but five points worse as they age another year.

Sharks are a team who refused to rebuild. They could be a example of what Benning envisions- Mediocrity at its best lol jk Sharks actually have beaten the elite teams this year, never know they can make some noise in the playoffs. But with the Canucks' every year i say this how many times have they beaten LA convincingly? How about the Ducks? How about the Hawks? How about the Blues?

you cannot want playoffs from this team until they learn to play against the elite teams. You can score hat tricks against Montreal or Oilers it won't matter, playoff teams know how to play detailed hockey which the Canucks' players struggles with.

Henrik and Thornton are especially comparable - low goal, high assist totals, similar age, similar impact and alas, no Cup.

Neat nugget of information - I've been checking out the all time stats and Thornton's at 36th place for points, while Henrik is about 88th, tied with the Rocket. And Crosby just entered the top 100.

8 hours ago, drsofthands said:

nah sedins have definitely slowed down, not by much but they have. They need a good well-rounded winger to help them out on defense and who can finish, someone like erikkson, too bad he wouldn't sign here unless overpaid.

Sedins needto learn to score without fear.. not 1 goal every 4 games, or 8 goals every 25 games lmao

Archived