The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RHD European FA Linus Hulstrom looking to sign a NHL contract

And naturally, the Canucks will be linked because we want everyone to sign here.

CANUCKS SHOULD TARGET SWEDISH UFA DEFENCEMAN LINUS HULTSTROM

It's the time of year where young free agents become hot commodities. Last week, I profiled a bunch of CHL and NCAA free agents that the Canucks should target, but didn't do any possible European free agents mostly because there is no way to know which players would want to make the leap. 

So given that we are not privy to all the details, we have to wait for  leaks of players generating interest. Those have been slowly coming out from the insiders, and one of them caught my eye particularly tonight:

*refer to Elliotte Friedman tweets*

When looking at the Canucks system, it's clear that they could use some more defensive prospects and Swedish defenceman Linus Hultstrom fits exactly into that mould. Hultstrom had put up 12 goals and 19 assists in 52 games this season, but took the next step in playoffs with three goals and nine assists in 8 games. He had 33 points (10-23-33) in 48 games last season.

Here is a scouting report of Hultstrom from Joe Curtis at Elite Prospects:

Hultström is an offensive defenseman with a good point shot. Excels on the powerplay and likes to join the rush. Skilled passer and overall a creative and smart defenseman. Defensively, there is room for improvement.

The Swedish native is 5'11" and currently weighs 181 pounds.

When looking at comparables, 15.4% went onto becoming NHL regulars. That may not sound like a high number, but Hultstrom's has been consistent over the last two years and appears to have taken the next step in these playoffs, thus would be a worthwhile gamble for any team.

Whomever signs him, because he is in his '23 year old' season would be limited to a two year entry level contract. Which is actually a good thing, you could get a two year look at him and see how his game translates.  He would be just under 25 when the ELC is done and you would know exactly what you are getting.

These dice rolls are exactly what the Canucks should be doing. It costs them nothing in assets, but also ensures to add players in the age group they are targeting. I would rather see the Canucks take risks on players in their early twenties for Utica instead of signing journeyman AHL players to fill out the roster.

He is also right-handed, which is something the Canucks system could desperately use.

We will know soon enough where Hultstrom will go

I feel like he wouldn't offer us much more than Philip Larsen offensively, that said it does seem like he has more offensive flare than Larsen which is desirable. They could both improve defensively. Larsen is slightly bigger which makes him a better fit to play in the west. I can see a great fit in WSH and he might also be very interested.

I certainly wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him and see him duke it out with Larsen for a spot on the team next year. There's no room for both however.

8 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Rumor has it that Florida is the frontrunner. I'd rather get Troy Stretcher in the fold or Jason Fram (WHL free agent defenseman). Let another team gamble on this small European defenseman.

I agree here too, can always inquire but I'd rather target the hometown bc boy that is defensively more sound with good offensively tools as well.

6 hours ago, chon derry said:

with all the weird chit happening in europe these days it does sound like more players are wanting to come to NA .

Completely irrelevant and wrong.

Crime rates in the US atleast, is substantially higher than any european country.. especially sweden. Not sure why we are even talking about this in terms of hockey prospects coming over to N.A because it probably has 0% effect on that choice. 

1 hour ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

first sign this guy, much younger has potential

then move Sbisa or Edler, get more prospects, eg younger 

Benninggoingtobenning 

Edler isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Yes he does make stupid mistakes more often than one would hope but he still is one of the better defenders on our team.

Here's a corsi comparison between Edler and Tanev over a 4 year span:

As you can see his Goal Suppression is pretty good and his goals and point production is pretty decent. 

Anyways what I'm getting at is for the knocks he get when making a bad pass that gets intercepted people neglect to recognize the times where he makes a very nice stretch pass or makes a very nice defensive play.

Hell Karlsson and Subban have these kinds of hiccups as well but the difference is they are more prolific of scorers and point producers that the perception is more accepted..

Edler is not a #1 dman, he is a good #2, a great #3 but overall he is not the problem on this team and his 5m is more than acceptable for the minutes he plays and points he produces.

Dashboard 1.png

2 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

first sign this guy, much younger has potential

then move Sbisa or Edler, get more prospects, eg younger 

Benninggoingtobenning 

This dude^^^^^advocating the Canucks go full Edmonton Oilers...yup...that's a model that works.

Archived