The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

16 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Hell of a game tonight, he's in the group with Edler (get well) and Tanev, and there's a case to be made for him over this years Tanev. 

Unfortunately the gap from him down on is massive. 

I add Hutton to that list. Both of them have been having great seasons. I give Hutton the nod over Stecher mostly because of size. Hutton has better battle and has some offensive skills. He is older. Stecher had a bigger challenge and has continued to grow thru the season to date. Impressive. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Stecher is +17 on a .500 team. +/- obviously has it's flaws, but it's still not a meaningless stat. Such an insanely high +/- on a mediocre team means he's doing a lot of little things right.

I was not sure whether Stecher could evolve his d-zone game to be able to survive. He has shown steady improvement this season and shown he can play a smart d-zone game. His next challenge will be CUP play which should happen next season. 

On 2/5/2019 at 11:27 AM, Boudrias said:

I add Hutton to that list. Both of them have been having great seasons. I give Hutton the nod over Stecher mostly because of size. Hutton has better battle and has some offensive skills. He is older. Stecher had a bigger challenge and has continued to grow thru the season to date. Impressive. 

These dmen don't need excuses. They've been going out and performing, game after game, regardless of deployment, d partner, etc. Versatility is a huge plus when the injuries or slumps hit. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Stecher into 144th in all-time Canuck scoring in what is becoming the week of Troy.

143.  Jeff Brown D 72 10 44 54
144.  Troy Stecher D 194 5 49 54
145.  Elias Pettersson C 48 26 27 53
Edited by Wilbur

If there was an unsung hero award for the team up to this point in the season it should be Stecher.

He has just been quietly solid all year.

Highest +/- of all D.  19 points, even though he didn’t get much PP time until the last couple games.  Edler’s and Hutton are only a point or two above him and half their points are Frk the man advantage.

Not too many guys can play 30+ minutes a game, even for a short time.  He is certainly making Tanev more expendable (If you could find a RD who had a point shot and offence instead to replace Tanev with).

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Provost said:

If there was an unsung hero award for the team up to this point in the season it should be Stecher.

He has just been quietly solid all year.

Highest +/- of all D.  19 points, even though he didn’t get much PP time until the last couple games.  Edler’s and Hutton are only a point or two above him and half their points are Frk the man advantage.

Not too many guys can play 30+ minutes a game, even for a short time.  He is certainly making Tanev more expendable (If you could find a RD who had a point shot and offence instead to replace Tanev with).

I was scratching my head about Stecher last fall but he has been building his game since then. His play in the last month is pretty impressive, especially his PP. I add Hutton to those comments as well although his play has been pretty solid from the get go. 

58 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

Stecher has taken the role of edler on the pp and hes doing a good job there.

We need someone with an actual shot though.

Stecher is pretty solid distributing the puck, but other teams will cover Petterson and Boeser and let Stecher shoot all day long.

• Cheers 1

On 2/15/2019 at 2:20 PM, Provost said:

We need someone with an actual shot though.

Stecher is pretty solid distributing the puck, but other teams will cover Petterson and Boeser and let Stecher shoot all day long.

Stecher is just a placeholder there until Hughes is ready, he doesn't have a shot either so hopefully his elite skating makes up for that.

3 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Stecher is just a placeholder there until Hughes is ready, he doesn't have a shot either so hopefully his elite skating makes up for that.

Stecher's one of the harder workers though. That man has a determination. Obviously, time will tell, but the hard workers tend to be the ones who make "doomsayers" eat their words. ;)

He obviously does need to work on his shot, but I have a strong feeling we haven't seen his peak at any rate.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

Stecher has no business being on the first PP or playing 25-30 mins on a good team. I think he's ceiling is a very good #5-6D on a contender which the Canucks will be in a few years hopefully. Absolutely nothing wrong with this, if that scenario pans out it's a huge win for both player and club.

4 minutes ago, J-P said:

Stecher has no business being on the first PP or playing 25-30 mins on a good team. I think he's ceiling is a very good #5-6D on a contender which the Canucks will be in a few years hopefully. Absolutely nothing wrong with this, if that scenario pans out it's a huge win for both player and club.

He and Hutton have played some their best hockey with the extended minutes. I see them as a solid 2nd D pairing.

We're essentially running with 2 top 4 D and 4 bottom 6.

Edited by Qwags

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...