The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Troy Stecher | #51 | D

Gstank29

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Stetcher was probably our second best defenseman last season, and, considering the injuries to Edler, probably the most reliable.

Everyone happy now?

Nope.

Posters that take some stupid stance and get proven wrong...and then stick to it anyway are morons imo. No one specific in mind.

It is clear Edler is our top D.  Playing with words and ignoring stats doesn't change that. Asking stupid questions like "how good was Edler when he didn't play" is too dumb for words. 

As I said, Stecher is a solid 3rd pairing D and I like him. That is all. Some schmuck willing to die on the hill of "he is our best D" is just stupid imo.

If we could get another D like Benn who is big and tough and gets as many points as Stecher, I would dump Stecher in a new york second for that.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I like him

Sure as hell seems like it.

Why is it that every player vs player discussion has to devolve into  "This is why you're an idiot and your opinion is wrong" type of argument. It creates a septic environment. The other poster is wrong in claiming that games missed due to injury is a proper gauge of how 'good' a player is. You're (dead) wrong in beating Stetcher into mulch and perpetuating the idea that he's somehow worthless when nearly every single objective standard possible indicates that he was our 2nd best overall defenseman last season.

Since you want to bring up Jordie Benn, Benn had 71 giveaways last season, while only having 19 takeaways, for a turnover differential of -52. Contrast that with Stetcher, who had 32 giveaways and 42 takeaways, for a turnover differential of +10. But I suppose having 33 more hits more than makes up for that turnover differential :lol:

38 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Nope.

Posters that take some stupid stance and get proven wrong...and then stick to it anyway are morons imo. No one specific in mind.

It is clear Edler is our top D.  Playing with words and ignoring stats doesn't change that. Asking stupid questions like "how good was Edler when he didn't play" is too dumb for words. 

As I said, Stecher is a solid 3rd pairing D and I like him. That is all. Some schmuck willing to die on the hill of "he is our best D" is just stupid imo.

If we could get another D like Benn who is big and tough and gets as many points as Stecher, I would dump Stecher in a new york second for that.

12 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Why is it that every player vs player discussion has to devolve into  "This is why you're an idiot and your opinion is wrong" type of argument. It creates a septic environment. The other poster is wrong in claiming that games missed due to injury is a proper gauge of how 'good' a player is. You're (dead) wrong in beating Stetcher into mulch and perpetuating the idea that he's somehow worthless when nearly every single objective standard possible indicates that he was our 2nd best overall defenseman last season.

Since you want to bring up Jordie Benn, Benn had 71 giveaways last season, while only having 19 takeaways, for a turnover differential of -52. Contrast that with Stetcher, who had 32 giveaways and 42 takeaways, for a turnover differential of +10. But I suppose having 33 more hits more than makes up for that turnover differential :lol:

There's nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. I agree with you on this point @Kanukfanatic (as can be seen by my post above), but it's not like I'll implode if someone disagrees and has another opinion, even if I believe it to be wrong. Cheers @Pete M, I disagree with your opinion on this matter, but respect your mature debate on the matter.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Pick whatever tiny amount of stats you want to say what ever you want such as giveaways. I guess you know that better players usually have more giveaways...right? Do you?

I like bigger players. 

Like I said, I do like Stecher. I like his energy. But I want players that can impose themselves physically like we saw needs to be done in the playoffs. Anyway, this was a discussion about Edler vs. Stecher. Edler is way better. Simple.

43 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Pick whatever tiny amount of stats you want to say what ever you want such as giveaways. I guess you know that better players usually have more giveaways...right? Do you?

I like bigger players. 

Like I said, I do like Stecher. I like his energy. But I want players that can impose themselves physically like we saw needs to be done in the playoffs. Anyway, this was a discussion about Edler vs. Stecher. Edler is way better. Simple.

A turnover differential of -52 isn’t a “tiny amount of stats” :lol::lol::lol:

Also, a player can be good in spite of the fact that they cough up the puck a lot if they make up for it in other ways, but NO player is held in high regard because they have a ton of giveaways, so I don’t quite understand the point you’re trying to make here, considering we’re talking about two players with similar offensive numbers and only 33 hits over the course of an 82 game schedule separating them.

But whatever, keep banging this drum until you’re blue in the face. I’m just happy we have a GM that can actually see the value in Stetch.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Also, a player can be good in spite of the fact that they cough up the puck a lot if they make up for it in other ways, but NO player is held in high regard because they have a ton of giveaways, so I don’t quite understand the point you’re trying to make here, considering we’re talking about two players with similar offensive numbers and only 33 hits over the course of an 82 game schedule separating them.

But whatever, keep banging this drum until you’re blue in the face. I’m just happy we have a GM that can actually see the value in Stetch.

I will clarify my point if I was unclear.

That poster keeps saying stecher was our best D man last year. He wasn't. It is pretty clear he was not. 

Edler was and is our best D man by a fair margin.

That was my point. Like I said, I do like Stecher in his role as a 3rd pairing D. But I would prefer a bigger tougher version of him any day of the week.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I will clarify my point if I was unclear.

That poster keeps saying stecher was our best D man last year. He wasn't. It is pretty clear he was not. 

Edler was and is our best D man by a fair margin.

That was my point. Like I said, I do like Stecher in his role as a 3rd pairing D. But I would prefer a bigger tougher version of him any day of the week.

I agree that Edler was our top Dman by virtue of the fact that he can generate far more offense, play 23 minutes a night and go up against other teams top lines without looking out of place. What I don't agree with is the idea that Benn is a "bigger, tougher version of Stetcher", as Benn has a pretty glaringly bad turnover ratio in comparison to Stetcher, and I would argue that Stetcher, who is still only 25, has far more room to grow as a player, whereas Benn, who is 32, has likely hit his ceiling. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I agree that Edler was our top Dman by virtue of the fact that he can generate far more offense, play 23 minutes a night and go up against other teams top lines without looking out of place. What I don't agree with is the idea that Benn is a "bigger, tougher version of Stetcher", as Benn has a pretty glaringly bad turnover ratio in comparison to Stetcher, and I would argue that Stetcher, who is still only 25, has far more room to grow as a player, whereas Benn, who is 32, has likely hit his ceiling. 

Well we certainly agree on the main point I have been debating with that other guy.

And I have said numerous times, there is a possibility Stecher continues to grow as a player. I think he is a good 3rd line D man, I just prefer the bigger meaner types if they have the same skill level.  As for who is better  Benn vs Stecher    I don't really know as I have not watched Benn enough. I will soon....thank god hockey is almost back!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I love Troy's mentality. Every year it seems like Stecher plays his way into a vital top 4 role, then the summer comes & he seems to be penciled back on that third pair again.

Always that chip on his shoulder, always proving himself. He's the kind of player that can step up the lineup & succeed when things get tough. That's the kind of guy you win with. 

With Myers / Tanev / Stecher its all guys capable of playing 20+ minutes when needed. Where each guy fits will be decided as we go along but I like the depth we have on that side now adding Myers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I watched all of the media sessions, and to me the leadership was evident;

Horvat, Sutter, Beagle, Miller and Stecher.

Their communication skills were in evidence.....  they were articulate, honest, showed commitment and were charismatic

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Brent Burns won the norris while leading the league in giveaways, did he not? 

• 1 month later...
On 10/18/2019 at 5:07 AM, FaninMex said:

I have been noticing that Stecher has been playing a lot bigger this year. I think having Benn with him is allowing him to stand up for himself more. There have been a lot of trickle down effects so far this season.

Team mates matter but Stecher is also maturing to the point of having a good handle on NHL play. His reality is his size. The Canuck depth chart is working against his long term tenure. I really admire his drive. This season is critical for him. 

On 8/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

You are just making a blanket statement

On 8/30/2019 at 12:40 AM, Kanukfanatic said:

I like bigger players. 

Hmmmmm....

Comparing the two players is an apples/oranges thing.

Bigger players don't always guarantee anything.  I think we have a good mix, and that's important.

As much as you need the guys able to play that crash and bang physical game, it takes a toll.  And..you also need someone to get the puck as others are tied up.

Base of support/centre of gravity means Stech is no easy pushover.  Small, fast, intense players can hold their own just fine in a slippery/hard to pin way.  Stech has been just fine for the most part.  Even the biggest/baddest of players get stood up at times.  Impact doesn't always mean the biggest survive that...if one's off balance then that factors in.  Agility is huge (too).  Hughes is showing us that already.

Not sure why we have to do a "better than" with our own teammates.  How about we support them instead?

Anyway, this was a discussion about Edler vs. Stecher. Edler is way better. Simple.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda wondering why Baumgartner is selecting the option to not use Stecher in any of the special teams play.  Would like to see Stecher given some leash and contribute to some special teams unit whether 2nd PP or PK.

I know we are winning, but I still see worth in giving Stecher a lil bit more minutes beyond 12-14 mins he has average this past 12 games.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/patrick-johnston-winning-all-that-matters-for-troy-stecher

Canucks defenceman Troy Stecher is playing a lot less than he has in the past, but the team is winning and that's all that matter, he says.

This is not a new movie for Troy Stecher.

Just about every season he’s been in the NHL, the defenceman from Richmond has found himself starting the year down the Vancouver Canucks’ pecking order.

But he’s proven to be durable and when others have gone down to injury, he’s always been ready to step into the breach.

“There’s ebbs and flows with everything in life,” Stecher said Friday when asked about not seeing as much ice to start this season. “During a hockey season, as a group you’re going to experience some ups and downs and on an individual basis you’re going to experience it too. You just control what you can control.”

He’s averaged 19:18 per game in ice time since first breaking into the league in 2016-17.

NEXT GAME

Monday

Florida Panthers vs. Vancouver Canucks

7 p.m., Rogers Arena.TV: SNET1. Radio: SNET 650 AM

Last season, between injuries to Alex Edler and Chris Tanev, plus Erik Gudbranson being traded away at the deadline, Stecher averaged 19:55 per game.

Through 10 games this season, he’s playing just 12:53 per night. He doesn’t play on the power play and he hasn’t been part of the regular penalty killing rotation.

The addition of Tyler Myers has been the biggest dent in his deployment, but it’s also that Quinn Hughes has now joined the squad full time. Their pairings — Myers with Alex Edler, Hughes with Chris Tanev — are being leaned on to play heavy minutes, while Stecher and partner Jordie Benn are playing far less.

He only played 11:27 on Friday night against the Capitals.

902622378.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=640

Troy Stecher averaged just under 20 minutes a game of ice time for the Canucks last season. Claus Anderson / PNG

Stecher pointed to former teammate Alex Biega as an inspiration for how he’s handling his present, diminished, role.

Over his four seasons with the Canucks, Biega often spoke of his focus on making everything count. In practices, he never wanted to be seen taking a step back. Biega knew he was the seventh or eighth defenceman, likely playing in no more than half the team’s games.

Treat your practices like games, he’d say.

Stecher always took note of that spirit.

“He was always prepared every single day, even when he wasn’t playing. I’m just trying to adapt that into my game and make sure that I’m ready for my opportunity, if it comes. And if it doesn’t, I need to make sure I’m still playing well,” Stecher said.

He may not be playing anything close to the minutes he’s used to but he’s still proving to be a highly effective player.

According to hockey data-tracking website Natural Stat Trick, when he’s on the ice, the Canucks are attacking as much as they are defending, a fact that’s true of the whole team’s game this season. They’re controlling the puck far more than they have in recent seasons. They’re breaking the puck out better, they’re stopping opposing attacks better, they’re maintaining possession in the offensive zone better too.

The Canucks’ shot-attempts-against rate while Stecher is on the ice is second-best among all Canucks defencemen. Only Quinn Hughes has a better rate.

That’s meaningful. He may not be playing the heaviest minutes, but he’s helping his team do a good job of preventing shots against, the most basic thing you can do to help your team win, while also generating chances at the offensive end of the ice.

On Friday against the Capitals, Benn and Stecher may not have played a lot, but when they did, they were most often backing up the Canucks’ top two lines, centred by Elias Pettersson and Bo Horvat.

That matches their general deployment on the season. About 70 per cent of the time, they’re skating with either the Horvat or Pettersson line.

Now, when you dig a little more into the numbers, you find that of the Canucks’ three defence pairings, Stecher and Benn pair are yielding the most dangerous shots. The Canucks’ goalies have been standing tall when those two have been on the ice, so you may not have noticed that they’ve been yielding more quality chances against than you might like.

At the end of the day, it’s the winning that counts, Stecher said. His ice time isn’t an issue.

“Any time you win, you’re going to obviously enjoy things a lot more. But at the same time I’m a proud guy and I know what I can bring and I want to contribute to this team. For right now, this is my role, the team’s winning so you’re not going to say too much. The boys are rolling here, we have a good vibe in the dressing room and the guys are happy.

“That’s the most important thing.”

You can tell quietly, he wants a bigger role.  Hope when he is given the chance, he grabs the bull by the horns and runs with it.

Edited by CRAZY_4_NAZZY