The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we have a shot at Stamkos?

It has nothing to do with liking the player. Cap wise we have as much shot as the next team. Only issue is UFA's don't sign just for cash alone. I'd love him to come here but even if we throw him max money/term, but I don't think he's coming here. 

1) He's from Markham. So it would be like coming home for him.

2) Taxes and weather. Tampa has Toronto and Vancouver beat. Vancouver is great because it's not too hot, not too cold. 

3) If it's a hockey choice, Tampa has gotten to the finals, and the second round. And even the second round without him!

Toronto and Vancouver are still a long ways away. Matthews and Stamkos alone won't make them a Cup winner, just on the rise. 

Toronto wins because of home, Matthews, possibly Babcock?

Vancouver wins moderate weather, nice place to live. Some good pieces like Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, etc. 

Tampa wins because of weather (in winter), taxation, and competitive level.

Tampa wins on that side. Emotional and other factors are coaching (Does he like the head coach of Tampa?), team atmosphere, and management. 

If I was to take a guess (And that's all this is). He's going either to Toronto or staying in Tampa. Unless a team that has cap room makes some crazy push to bring in players that would entice him. 

The thing about Toronto is, Matthews is now their guy. He'll be their number 1 center in the future.

Does Stamkos enjoy being "the guy"? Does he want to take second fiddle to Matthews down the road? It seems like he wasn't too happy about Johnson taking away the spotlight in Tampa last season.

In Vancouver he would be the clear cut number 1 guy with the Sedins on the decline. He would be the new face of the franchise, much like Lu was when he was brought in. Is this important to him?

I never thought I would see Messier or Sundin in a Canucks jersey, but that happened. Money talks.

I see it differently, TO can now say to Stamkos, sign with us and you and Matthews will be our new one-two punch, with the kid developing in the shadow of Stamkos, the kid would be the #2 center. They'd be the dynamic duo. 

If we can cut down our goals against by 0.3 a goals per game, and add 0.3 goals per game, we turn into a playoff contender. 

We had the 2nd worst offence in the league, with the 7th worst goals against. Having a full season of Edler and Sutter alone should be worth 35-40 points. 

Are we really as bad as it seems, or did everything just go wrong this year?

Baertschi Stamkos Sutter

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Granlund Horvat Virtanen

Etem Gaunce Dorsett

That's how I would see our depth chart up front.

The following season:

Baertschi Stamkos Sutter

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Tkachuk Horvat Boeser

Gaunce McCann Etem

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If we can cut down our goals against by 0.3 a goals per game, and add 0.3 goals per game, we turn into a playoff contender. 

We had the 2nd worst offence in the league, with the 7th worst goals against. Having a full season of Edler and Sutter alone should be worth 35-40 points. 

Are we really as bad as it seems, or did everything just go wrong this year?

One of the worst injury riddled seasons I can remember. We definitely weren't as bad as the standings showed.

You take away a top defenseman and a second line center from most teams and they would struggle. Add to that the fact that Henrik had a broken finger and they were relied on for most of our offense, and that's what you get. 

Having Sutter on the second line and Horvat down to the third should balance things out.

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Pablum for the CDC masses. Stamkos is not coming to Vancouver! No and No!

Everyone in the league is saying the same thing

why not ?

We have the money.

Aquaman loves stars. He wanted to sell the farm for Richards years ago. He will throw serious money like 13/7 at Stam

2 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

why not ?

We have the money.

Aquaman loves stars. He wanted to sell the farm for Richards years ago. He will throw serious money like 13/7 at Stam

God damn that's a lot of $$$. It's tough to project where the cap will be in a few years, but that kind of salary is daunting.  

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It has nothing to do with liking the player. Cap wise we have as much shot as the next team. Only issue is UFA's don't sign just for cash alone. I'd love him to come here but even if we throw him max money/term, but I don't think he's coming here. 

1) He's from Markham. So it would be like coming home for him.

2) Taxes and weather. Tampa has Toronto and Vancouver beat. Vancouver is great because it's not too hot, not too cold. 

3) If it's a hockey choice, Tampa has gotten to the finals, and the second round. And even the second round without him!

Toronto and Vancouver are still a long ways away. Matthews and Stamkos alone won't make them a Cup winner, just on the rise. 

Toronto wins because of home, Matthews, possibly Babcock?

Vancouver wins moderate weather, nice place to live. Some good pieces like Boeser, Virtanen, Horvat, etc. 

Tampa wins because of weather (in winter), taxation, and competitive level.

Tampa wins on that side. Emotional and other factors are coaching (Does he like the head coach of Tampa?), team atmosphere, and management. 

If I was to take a guess (And that's all this is). He's going either to Toronto or staying in Tampa. Unless a team that has cap room makes some crazy push to bring in players that would entice him. 

I'm not sure about the "home" piece. A lot of guys don't want the pressure of having to either be the home town hero or goat.

8 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

why not ?

We have the money.

Aquilini also has a ton of nice real estate he can throw at Stamkos under a personal services contract thats off the hockey books.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Baertschi Stamkos Sutter

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Granlund Horvat Virtanen

Etem Gaunce Dorsett

That's how I would see our depth chart up front.

The following season:

Baertschi Stamkos Sutter

Sedin Sedin Virtanen

Tkachuk Horvat Boeser

Gaunce McCann Etem

What would be wrong with:

D. Sedin Stamkos Tkachuk

Baertschi H.Sedin Virtanen

Etem Sutter Hansen

Granlund Horvat Dorsett

and the Sedins and Stamos on the PP as the 1st unit. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Then, get Drouin too.

Drouin - Stamkos - Sutter

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Baerstchi - Horvat - Virtanen

Etem - Granlund - Dorsett

Virtanen Stamkos Eriksson

Sedin Seddin Hansen

Baerstchi Horvat Etem

Gaunce Granlund Dorsett 

Archived