The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we have a shot at Stamkos?

5 hours ago, You Mad Bro? said:

He's not worth the money he's after. Toews. Kane. Kopitar. They have earned the 10 million. They win at everything and have 8 cups between them. Stamkos should have took his 8.5 offer from Tampa and stayed there. He will probably get his 11 million. I hope it's not from us tho. 

none went to FA. In FA, Teows gets 13 to 14 million

5 hours ago, We Are All Cynics said:

No chance.

I'm not sure where this notion that Vancouver has been an attractive market for FA's but I'd really like it to stop. Our history says otherwise and the reason is travel, travel, travel!!! We have the worse travel in the league and it does matter to players when they look to sign somewhere.

The only way we can land a FA of Stamkos' caliber is by overpaying them and in this case Toronto would win, again because they have a better travel schedule than us and they'll be able to outspend us. Quite frankly I don't want him here if it's just a cash grab for him and he's just going to float his time here.

I'm not sure where this notion that Vancouver has been an attractive market for FA's but I'd really like it to stop.

wow condescending much ?

Miller was the highest demand goalie 2 years ago. We got him

Mats Sundin ?? Demitra Samuellson

Loungo had no affiliation with this city what so ever and signed a lifetime deal with us

I don't get the concern over him wanting to go to a contender.  If he is considering TO, then going to a contender is not all that high on his priority list.  If he values being near his hometown, or playing under Babcock, then more power to him.

I can't see him being a big mentor for Matthews though.  Stammer is too young for that, IMO, as I expect he would want to focus his energies on getting the most out of himself while he is in his prime, and put more effort to mentoring in 4-5 years.

I'd love to see him here as long as the rib/clot issue heals over well.  That PP would be absolutely insane, with Henrik setting him up.  Sure be great if he could challenge Bure for our season scoring title!

24 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

wow condescending much ?

Miller was the highest demand goalie 2 years ago. We got him

Mats Sundin ?? Demitra Samuellson

Loungo had no affiliation with this city what so ever and signed a lifetime deal with us

I'm not necessarily opposed to your point, however:

1.) To be fair, what does appear to be a common factor in the examples given is that these players received contracts with a pretty big amount of money attached to them, and in some cases it could be argued that the amount was an over payment for the player involved. 

2.) Another thing these examples have in common is that these players signed with a Canuck team which was on the up swing, something which perhaps is currently not the case.

3.) And in Luongo's case, he was already on the roster, (having been traded here), as well as getting a big paycheck and re-signing with a team on the up swing, so that was *some* affiliation, yes?

regards,

G.

34 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

The guy's had way too many serious injuries and goal scorers decline faster than most other players.

Don't want him here for the money he's going to want.

Kinda curious what these "way too many serious injuries" are....I can think of 2 injuries in the past 6 seasons.

2 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

I'm not necessarily opposed to your point, however:

1.) To be fair, what does appear to be a common factor in the examples given is that these players received contracts with a pretty big amount of money attached to them, and in some cases it could be argued that the amount was an over payment for the player involved. 

2.) Another thing these examples have in common is that these players signed with a Canuck team which was on the up swing, something which perhaps is currently not the case.

3.) And in Luongo's case, he was already on the roster, (having been traded here), as well as getting a big paycheck and re-signing with a team on the up swing, so that was *some* affiliation, yes?

regards,

G.

it could be argued that the amount was an over payment for the player involved. 

Not for Dimetra or Miller. Maybe Sundin. But he was going to get big money.People trot out Millers contract as an overpayment but its just not true. He was a step up from Hiller at Hiller got 4+. And it was for 3 years

For free agency, Nikita Nikitin for 4.5 million is over- paying. Ference for over 3 million is over paying even for free agency. We've never had these kind of deals.

And we've had lots of the opposite kind of deals. Hometown discounts. And those don't happen everywhere but they happen here a lot.

Lou could have went to FA if he wanted to. He was not drafted by us. He wasn't from here.

If there was a scale from -5----0----- +5 on ability to attract FA's , Edm would be at -5 and we would be at 0 or maybe +1

If our Dr signs off on his health then go after him hard. We have nothing once the Sedins retire. Please don't tell me McCann will replace him. McCann will be 3rd line center at best. Horvat 2nd line center. Stamkos is our first line. Sutter is 2/3rd line center. We need that first line center to replace Henrik. Do everything you can to get him. If you don't then at least you can say we tried. 

26 minutes ago, 2009cupchamps said:

If our Dr signs off on his health then go after him hard. We have nothing once the Sedins retire. Please don't tell me McCann will replace him. McCann will be 3rd line center at best. Horvat 2nd line center. Stamkos is our first line. Sutter is 2/3rd line center. We need that first line center to replace Henrik. Do everything you can to get him. If you don't then at least you can say we tried. 

Yep

If I was JB, my first bid would be 12.5 million dollars. And if im forced to go league max (14 million), i do it.

None of our RFA's will break the bank. That is not true for a lot of teams 

4 hours ago, Toews said:

Nope. Absolutely not. No way should there be any shady under the table agreement. If the league found out, they would come down hard on the Canucks like multiple high picks, fines and cap penalties.

And yet the NHL has done nothing to stop the Toronto Sports shills from being the mouthpiece of their franchise and wooing Stamkos out of Tampa Bay. Seriously, what ramifications will there be if Toronto does sign him? If I'm Tampa I'm calling shenanigans right away.

8 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

Would you go 13 million to get him ?

I don't think it will take 13 million to get him, nor would I pay 13 million. What I would pay is around 11-12 million. This year none of our young guys get a raise and by next season a few of the old contracts begin to expire freeing up room to give the young guys their raise while bringing in new young guys to fill those voids. 

From 2009-2016, Stamkos has the 4th most points out everyone in the NHL, 30 points off the player in 1st who has 546 points and is named Ovechkin. Stamkos has also led his team to the Stanley Cup Finals, something Ovechkin has not yet done, maybe this year but not yet.

2 hours ago, 2009cupchamps said:

pretty much this, 

As pathetic as the D core is we need a H.Sedin replacement  number #1 C BIG TIME, if u can get Stamkos u do it, just don't think we'll have the best offer to entice him.

I didn't watch much Stamkos but what little I've seen he was incredible, i remember a night they beat us 5-2 or something like that and he was so good out there, he can skate, he hits, he can snipe ...pretty much the exact 3 things we dont have enough of.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter

Tkachuk-Stamkos-Virtanan

Baerschi-Horvat-Hansen

McCann-Gaunce-Rodin

Hutton-Tanev

Edler-Tryamkin

Pedan-Sbisa

Marky

1 hour ago, Positive Canuck said:

pretty much this, 

As pathetic as the D core is we need a H.Sedin replacement  number #1 C BIG TIME, if u can get Stamkos u do it, just don't think we'll have the best offer to entice him.

Agreed, this is more of the reason why Benning should at least try to sign Stamkos.

Archived