The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Do we have a shot at Stamkos?

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What would be wrong with:

D. Sedin Stamkos Tkachuk

Baertschi H.Sedin Virtanen

Etem Sutter Hansen

Granlund Horvat Dorsett

and the Sedins and Stamos on the PP as the 1st unit. 

Well Tkachuk is primarily a left winger. Not sure he's ever played right wing. And I don't think penciling him in on the first line in his rookie year would be realistic.

I also don't see the Sedins being split up any time soon. They were awesome together to start the season and then the pressure of being the only scorers ground them down. As secondary scorers they would have much more success at this stage IMO.

Horvat has also proven he's ready to be third line center. Burying him on the fourth line isn't going to do him much good. I think the writings on the wall that Sutter will be moved to wing at some point in the near future.

4 hours ago, We Are All Cynics said:

No chance.

I'm not sure where this notion that Vancouver has been an attractive market for FA's but I'd really like it to stop. Our history says otherwise and the reason is travel, travel, travel!!! We have the worse travel in the league and it does matter to players when they look to sign somewhere.

The only way we can land a FA of Stamkos' caliber is by overpaying them and in this case Toronto would win, again because they have a better travel schedule than us and they'll be able to outspend us. Quite frankly I don't want him here if it's just a cash grab for him and he's just going to float his time here.

The notion came from all the high end UFAs we've signed. The reason we are much less attractive now is we arent a contender anymore. 

I have mixed feelings about possibly landing Stamkos but if the money works cap wise then why not.

However I find it hard to believe that someone like Yzerman would let a former 1st overall pick 26 year old franchise player walk for nothing.  I mean imagine it was us and we let a player of his caliber walk for absolutely nothing.  I have a feeling they will get a deal done and Stamkos will remain with Tampa Bay. 

3 minutes ago, prix57 said:

I have mixed feelings about possibly landing Stamkos but if the money works cap wise then why not.

However I find it hard to believe that someone like Yzerman would let a former 1st overall pick 26 year old franchise player walk for nothing.  I mean imagine it was us and we let a player of his caliber walk for absolutely nothing.  I have a feeling they will get a deal done and Stamkos will remain with Tampa Bay. 

If you're right, then either Kuch or Hedman will flock off. At least one of these great pieces will need to be recycled.

Don't think splitting up the Sedins is a good idea.  I also don't think you go from top line players to the second line over summer break.  It's something that happens naturally on it's on....like puberty.  The Sedins are the top point getters.  Eventually other players on the team will improve....gain more ice-time....once another line plays more and score more....that is when the Sedins are the second line.

24 minutes ago, BI3KSA- said:

The notion came from all the high end UFAs we've signed. The reason we are much less attractive now is we arent a contender anymore. 

The money and the lifestyle is here but yea it has become harder to sell the team as a playoff team.

Unlike people in Vancouver, I don't think other players have written this team off though. Players in the NHL understand how teams can have down seasons. One offseason can change a whole lot for a team.

With some good signings to balance out the roster, a healthy season where Miller and Markstrom can split the crease, and the young players stepping up their games, it's not hard to imagine us making the playoffs.

Especially if some of the workload is taken off the Sedins. This has been the key for a long time. They can't carry the team on their own. A couple more 30 goal scorers would make all the difference.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Oh how I'd love to stick it to TOR by signing Stamkos. Not sure how possible it is, but I'm sure Benning will try.

Me too. After all the crap we take from their media taking Stamkos away from them and him having success with us would be beautiful. The reactions from Leaf-land would be priceless too. 

How we land Stamkos would be offering him a first line roll with the twins. He can center them or play their wing, likely the first because he has clearly stated he's a center. With a summer of practice Hank could learn how to play more of a wing roll, and will also keep him from having to hurt his back with faceoffs. The idea of Stamkos coming in and having a shot at the scoring title could be enough to entice him. I don't think it would be a stretch to say he could score 50 with two of the best cyclers in the game. 

Telling him he gets Baertschi and Sutter isn't going to bring him to the team. But playing with the twins might, and the future prospect of playing with Boeser, Virtanen, Dubois/Tkachuk, Baertschi etc once they have developed could be tempting. 

Sedin-Stamkos-Sedin

Baertschi-Sutter-Hansen 

Burrows-Horvat-Rodin

Dorsett-Granlund-Etem

3 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

How we land Stamkos would be offering him a first line roll with the twins. He can center them or play their wing, likely the first because he has clearly stated he's a center. With a summer of practice Hank could learn how to play more of a wing roll, and will also keep him from having to hurt his back with faceoffs. The idea of Stamkos coming in and having a shot at the scoring title could be enough to entice him. I don't think it would be a stretch to say he could score 50 with two of the best cyclers in the game. 

Telling him he gets Baertschi and Sutter isn't going to bring him to the team. But playing with the twins might, and the future prospect of playing with Boeser, Virtanen, Dubois/Tkachuk, Baertschi etc once they have developed could be tempting. 

Sedin-Stamkos-Sedin

Baertschi-Sutter-Hansen 

Burrows-Horvat-Rodin

Dorsett-Granlund-Etem

So telling him he's going to center Daniel and Henrik (a guy who's only played center his entire career) is better?

Not a realistic lineup IMO. He'd have to play with weaker players until more cap space opened up next offseason. He would still be playing with the Sedins on the powerplay which is where he scores alot of his goals anyways.

If we do land a high end forward from UFA, I'm 100% certain Sedins are open to playing on second line, it'll definitely boost secondary scoring which was hurting badly this past couple years.

If we can get both Stamkos and Okposso that'd be an interesting first line, perhaps with Baer.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Aquilini also has a ton of nice real estate he can throw at Stamkos under a personal services contract thats off the hockey books.

Nope. Absolutely not. No way should there be any shady under the table agreement. If the league found out, they would come down hard on the Canucks like multiple high picks, fines and cap penalties.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So telling him he's going to center Daniel and Henrik (a guy who's only played center his entire career) is better?

Not a realistic lineup IMO. He'd have to play with weaker players until more cap space opened up next offseason. He would still be playing with the Sedins on the powerplay which is where he scores alot of his goals anyways.

I'd prefer them on separate line too (as I posted earlier) but Hank and Sutter looked fine splitting C duties for a bit last year. There's no reason Stamkos/Hank couldn't do the same.

3 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

If we can get both Stamkos and Okposso that'd be an interesting first line, perhaps with Baer.

I'd LOVE to do that but that would require moving more salary out than is probably realistic.

1 hour ago, Green Building said:

God damn that's a lot of $$$. It's tough to project where the cap will be in a few years, but that kind of salary is daunting.  

It is but I think money will be our biggest bargaining chip to get him.

Toronto has the home town pull. Detroit has the Detroit pull.  We are neck and neck with the Canadians I think.  It will be a bidding war. One of us will be paying just 1 million dollars more to get him.

I don't want to be the team that lost out over 1 million dollars

7 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

We don't have the cap space going forward. We need to re-sign Markstrom, Beartschi, and other RFA's. Once Horvat, Hutton, come off their ELC we'll have to pay them more as well as Virt and McCann. Stamkos will cost at least 10 million per season. We can't afford to handcuff the team when we aren't contending now.

With Miller gone, it can be done.  Its not like we are resigning superstars.

This team isn't going down the tear down/rebuild road. We plan on contending in a year or 2.

Archived