The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

SB at 25 years old is not going to improve much more.  He is what he is .  I think that he won't be a Canuck next season as we have others that are younger with more years to improve (like Goldy, JG, JD and EP).

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

SB at 25 years old is not going to improve much more.  He is what he is .  I think that he won't be a Canuck next season as we have others that are younger with more years to improve (like Goldy, JG, JD and EP).

I think SB is a Canuck until he comes up for a new contract.  When does he need his next contract?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think SB is a Canuck until he comes up for a new contract.  When does he need his next contract?

He's up for renewal this summer. He's an RFA. I expect he'll sign a mid-term deal; 3 or 4 years.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He's up for renewal this summer. He's an RFA. I expect he'll sign a mid-term deal; 3 or 4 years.

Makes good sense to sign Baer for a term that allows us to expose him to the Seattle team, no?  

38 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Makes good sense to sign Baer for a term that allows us to expose him to the Seattle team, no?  

I think it would be good to be somewhat cautious with the term. I'm not sold enough on him to offer him 5 or 6 years, but I'm willing to give him 3 or 4 years. With Seattle coming in 2020 (I think), anything more than a 2-year deal would make him exposable. We'll see at that time if anyone has stepped up to take his role or if he continues to step up his play.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Baertschi is gone this summer.

He will get qualified for sure, but what happens after that I am not sure.  I think it highly depends on how progressed our prospects are.  Once our prospects are on the scene, there should be several players chomping at the bit to take his LW position and if they pan out they likely bring more to the table than Baertschi does.  If I was GM, I would entirely be looking at packaging him along with a defenceman in return for a high defensive prospect.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Baertschi is gone this summer.

If Baertschi and the twins both leave, how are we going to fill that gap on offense? I think it would be betting a lot to assume all of our other young guys can step in and fill in 150 points in their rookie seasons. The other solution would be to look to free agency to replace that, but I think losing both the twins and Baertschi and relying only on rookies to fill the gap is a mistake.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

If Baertschi and the twins both leave, how are we going to fill that gap on offense? I think it would be betting a lot to assume all of our other young guys can step in and fill in 150 points in their rookie seasons. The other solution would be to look to free agency to replace that, but I think losing both the twins and Baertschi and relying only on rookies to fill the gap is a mistake.

I don't think Benning would trade Baertschi without replacing his production. I suspect that July 1st will be a very busy time for Benning.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think Benning would trade Baertschi without replacing his production. I suspect that July 1st will be a very busy time for Benning.

Yeah, this is likely based on the assumption of signing a Kane, trading for a Domi etc (or maybe drafting a Zadina/Tkachuck).

I honestly have trouble seeing where Baer really fits in this lineup. IMO he doesn't particularly mesh well with Horvat, ditto Sutter, and doesn't suit a 'traditional' 4th line role and we have other guys I'd prefer in a 2-way 3rd line role.

Part of an offensive 4th 'kid' line with Gaudette and Pettersson...maybe? Maybe if we draft Svech...Baer, Pettersson, Svech might not be bad and they could eat up the Sedins previous ozone starts etc. Pretty young line though.

Edited by aGENT
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, this is likely based on the assumption of signing a Kane, trading for a Domi etc (or maybe drafting a Zadina/Tkachuck).

I honestly have trouble seeing where Baer really fits in this lineup. IMO he doesn't particularly mesh well with Horvat, ditto Sutter, and doesn't suit a 'traditional' 4th line role and we have other guys I'd prefer in a 2-way 3rd line role.

Part of an offensive 4th 'kid' line with Gaudette and Pettersson...maybe? Maybe if we draft Svech...Baer, Pettersson, Svech might not be bad and they could eat up the Sedins previous ozone starts etc. Pretty young line though.

I think Baer had a solid spot on the first like with Bo and Boeser and clicked very well with both of his linemates. That said, the line hasn't been together for too much, as all three forwards have spent significant periods of time injured this season. Baertschi's challenge will be to beat out any contenders to his spot on the top line (Pettersson and Leipsic at this point). Unless anyone proves to be better with Bo and Boeser, I don't see why Baertschi should be removed from that top line.

• Upvote 2

Just now, -AJ- said:

I think Baer had a solid spot on the first like with Bo and Boeser and clicked very well with both of his linemates. That said, the line hasn't been together for too much, as all three forwards have spent significant periods of time injured this season. Baertschi's challenge will be to beat out any contenders to his spot on the top line (Pettersson and Leipsic at this point). Unless anyone proves to be better with Bo and Boeser, I don't see why Baertschi should be removed from that top line.

I think if we land Zadina/Svechnikov they'll have to get a look with Horvat if they make the team. Like there would be no point bringing offensive 18 year old forwards on the roster to have them play with Sutter or Gagner.

With that being said, if we don't get those guys, any free agents like Kane could and should be able to play anywhere in the lineup, giving Baer the opportunity to stick with Horvat and Boeser. 

But I think Baer needs a top 6 role. Might as well trade him if he doesn't stay in the top 6 as we have enough bottom 6 guys. Baer is a skill guy or bust, much like Goldobin. They can't really play the grinder/energy minutes.

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

They produce because they're all good players but he's an ill-fit on that line. He's there because of a lack of better options IMO. I hope that's not the case next year.

Just now, aGENT said:

They produce because they're all good players but he's an ill-fit on that line. He's there because of a lack of better options IMO. I hope that's not the case next year.

If we draft #2 or #3, I think we take Svechnikov/Zadina who could play on that line.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Adarsh Sant said:

But I think Baer needs a top 6 role. Might as well trade him if he doesn't stay in the top 6 as we have enough bottom 6 guys. Baer is a skill guy or bust, much like Goldobin. They can't really play the grinder/energy minutes.

This is my thinking as well. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

If we somehow win the lottery for pick #2 OR pick #3 and IF we pick Svech/Zadina I would dump bear cheese for a 3rd round pick. Ideally, I would want a 2nd but i doubt a team would offer a 2nd. Why? Cuz we always get low-balled unless benning can pull off some magic. 

Or package him with something. Can Goldy + Bear cheese get us a pick 20 something? Mid 20's? Idk. Im just throwing out options

Edited by DontMessMe

May take - Canucks forwards next year (Most Prized to the Expendables) - Not including Eriksson, as we're pretty much stuck with him. I also didn't include Gaunce, Dowd, Chaput or Boucher. They missed the boat IMO.

1. Horvat

2. Pettersson

3. Boeser

4. Dahlen

5. Gaudette

6. Virtanen

7. Goldobin

8. Sutter

9. Leipsic

10. Archibald

11. Baertschi

12. Gagner

13. Motte

14. Granlund

(taking into consideration age, skill, and what they bring - eg. Archibald fared pretty well because he's physical)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

If we somehow win the lottery for pick #2 OR pick #3 and IF we pick Svech/Zadina I would dump bear cheese for a 3rd round pick. Ideally, I would want a 2nd but i doubt a team would offer a 2nd. Why? Cuz we always get low-balled unless benning can pull off some magic. 

Or package him with something. Can Goldy + Bear cheese get us a pick 20 something? Mid 20's? Idk. Im just throwing out options

It would be exceptionally awesome if we could dump Baer for picks.  I just don't see he has any value though.  He was a younger guy, who had a top 15 draft pick ceiling when we got him.  Now, he's done getting better.  He's what he is, and what's that worth?  Why would any team give up the potential a draft pick might turn in to for Baer, who is ... not that good, and is done developing?

I'd say Goldy has some value still, but even he is getting near the point in his development where teams will see him as too old to really improve on where his is right now.

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It would be exceptionally awesome if we could dump Baer for picks.  I just don't see he has any value though.  He was a younger guy, who had a top 15 draft pick ceiling when we got him.  Now, he's done getting better.  He's what he is, and what's that worth?  Why would any team give up the potential a draft pick might turn in to for Baer, who is ... not that good, and is done developing?

I'd say Goldy has some value still, but even he is getting near the point in his development where teams will see him as too old to really improve on where his is right now.

So bear cheese is worth a hmm 6th rounder? Tbh, I dont see Goldy worth more than a 4th. Why? He needs waivers next year 

Edited by DontMessMe
  • Upvote 1