The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

If we have 3 guys outperforming Baer’s defensively responsible 0.55 PPG in the near future we’ll sure be sitting pretty.  

I doubt it though... if anything I think he’s the best bet to hold the 1LW short term and slide to 2LW if someone emerges.  After Brock he’s our best pure offensive forward and he’s not a liability defensively.

Agreed.  We have yet to see Baer and entire season so far, but he is looking like a 20 g scorer and would probably do more on the 2nd line against less skilled players.  Suggesting that players in our prospect pool (other than Pettersson) can just drop into the 2LW role and play as well as Baer seems like hoping, wishing and dreaming.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

That’s a great question, Alf.  I think people overestimate the amount of depth scoring top teams have.  

The simple answer: Not good next year if he’s #1 but he’d be a quality option as a #2.  

Sven (on pace for 45 points) is just below Killorn for Tampa bay (6th highest scoring forward) at 47 over 82.

Other 6th highest scoring forwards on stud teams:

Vegas’ 6th is Neil with 41 in 72. (47 over 82)

Boston has DeBrusk with 42 in 70. (49 average)

Winnipeg has Little with 43 in 82.

Washington has Wilson with 35 in 78. (37 average)

Pittsbrgh has Rust with 38 in 69. (45 average).

Now, I know, Baer is playing with “top” players for a lot of last year... but then he’s also playing against top players and doesn’t have the benefit of the stronger supporting casts / offensive defencemen these guys have.  It’s a quick snapshot but he’s producing, when healthy, like a borderline 2nd liner on a contending team. 

I’m just not that quick to throw him away.

Nice post.  Well thought out.

I wonder if Baer would be better on a third line - eventually?

• Cheers 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

Agreed.  We have yet to see Baer and entire season so far, but he is looking like a 20 g scorer and would probably do more on the 2nd line against less skilled players.  Suggesting that players in our prospect pool (other than Pettersson) can just drop into the 2LW role and play as well as Baer seems like hoping, wishing and dreaming.

Absolutely.. Baer is a late bloomer and has put in a ton of work to get where he is.  He’s a largely home-grown vet, in his prime and I’d trust him on the wing with anyone from Bo to Gagner to Sutter or Gaudette.  If guys outplay him all the better but it won’t be an easy task.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

He’s not physical but he plays d - that would be ideal to me.  

Having a pair of 15-20 goal guys in Sutter and Baer on your 3rd line is a very nice situation. 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

He’s not physical but he plays d - that would be ideal to me.  

Having a pair of 15-20 goal guys in Sutter and Baer on your 3rd line is a very nice situation. 

I think Baer is super smart too, so he should be a very good PK guy.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think Baer is super smart too, so he should be a very good PK guy.  

I think Baer's a harder worker than people give him credit for. He's our top LW right now, but in an ideal world, he becomes our #2 LW and does some PK and 2nd unit PP on the side.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I think Baer's a harder worker than people give him credit for. He's our top LW right now, but in an ideal world, he becomes our #2 LW and does some PK and 2nd unit PP on the side.

I don't think people question his work ethic, but for me I don't want to see him get overpaid. He might be our 1LW but he isn't a 1LW on most teams. I'd actually be happy for it to go to arbitration tbh. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think people question his work ethic, but for me I don't want to see him get overpaid. He might be our 1LW but he isn't a 1LW on most teams. I'd actually be happy for it to go to arbitration tbh. 

I can agree with that. He certainly shouldn't be getting Bo Horvat money or anything like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I can agree with that. He certainly shouldn't be getting Bo Horvat money or anything like that.

or term. I think its just fine to let an arbitrator decide on a 1 year deal where the team is at, makes more moves possible. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

or term. I think its just fine to let an arbitrator decide on a 1 year deal where the team is at, makes more moves possible. 

If it's arbitration that ends up getting Sven his deal, it'll almost certainly be a one or two year deal, based on what I've seen with arbitration in the past.

I think if he signs a deal before then without arbitration, it'll be 3 or 4 years. Certainly not 6 years like Bo.

If we keep Baer, I would like to see him on a line with Gaudette and Virt. Baer has put in a lot of work to get his two-way game up to speed. Combine his talent and abilities with two other players that have the same mind set. Virt drives the play as far as speed goes, allowing Gaudette and Baer to see things develop on their way in, and react to them properly. Both Baer and Gaudette have very good passing ability. I could see this line driving teams crazy on the forecheck, and scoring more than a few themselves.

On 5/2/2018 at 4:02 PM, -AJ- said:

If it's arbitration that ends up getting Sven his deal, it'll almost certainly be a one or two year deal, based on what I've seen with arbitration in the past.

I think if he signs a deal before then without arbitration, it'll be 3 or 4 years. Certainly not 6 years like Bo.

Benning's already said Baertschi and Granlund won't be getting term.  They need to show it now if they want to be here as part of the group moving forward.  Two years max.

13 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Benning's already said Baertschi and Granlund won't be getting term.  They need to show it now if they want to be here as part of the group moving forward.  Two years max.

Did he say that directly? He definitely said they'll need to prove themselves, but I'm not sure he said anything about contract length.

That said, even if he didn't overtly say it, that does imply that he'll get a shorter deal. Probably 2 or 3 years.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Did he say that directly? He definitely said they'll need to prove themselves, but I'm not sure he said anything about contract length.

That said, even if he didn't overtly say it, that does imply that he'll get a shorter deal. Probably 2 or 3 years.

“They’re either going to take the next step and be good NHL players that can produce, or they’ll fall by the wayside" — Canucks GM Jim Benning

The forwards have arbitration rights and no leverage, so they’ll be qualified but won’t see significant raises or security.

The Canucks have the hammer and could offer a one-year, show-us deal, much like they did when Erik Gudbranson returned this season from wrist surgery.

“That’s a fair statement,” said Benning.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/ben-kuzma-baertschi-granlund-thrown-lifeline-to-shore-up-their-games

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Ehh, it's still kinda indirect. Benning agreed to a quote from someone, presumably Kuzma, but he may have paraphrased it in the article. I'd have to hear the quote to be sure.

Still, you've convinced me that 4 years won't happen for sure.

• Cheers 1

On 5/2/2018 at 12:24 PM, Alflives said:

The Oilers are in win now mode, so I say let's do this deal:

Tanev + Sutter + Baer for Draisatl + Lucic (their worst contract)

Then when the next CBA comes up, we compliance buyout Lucic and Errikson.  

Benning is not getting rid of Sutter for what its worth.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Benning is not getting rid of Sutter for what its worth.

The thought is laughable with how many kids we're going to need him sheltering the next couple years.

Afternoon goofs on 650 were going on about getting PHI's 19th OA for him 'even if we had to take salary, like MacDonald back as well'.

Yeaaaaah no, ya maroons.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

The thought is laughable with how many kids we're going to need him sheltering the next couple years.

Afternoon goofs on 650 were going on about getting PHI's 19th OA for him 'even if we had to take salary, like MacDonald back as well'.

Yeaaaaah no, ya maroons.

Yeah, we’re certainly nowhere near the centre depth where moving Sutter makes sense. And even if we had a glut of good young centremen, it’s not like feeding them Sutter’s heavy minutes would be a good development move.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, we’re certainly nowhere near the centre depth where moving Sutter makes sense. And even if we had a glut of good young centremen, it’s not like feeding them Sutter’s heavy minutes would be a good development move.

Never mind that a late 1st is probably not enough value for management to even consider moving him given that much required IMO, sheltering role. Add to that taking salary back on top of it....:picard:

On 5/3/2018 at 5:22 AM, Alflives said:

Sven's ideal spot is on a good team as a third line guy with some second line minutes at times.  The main problem with him are the injuries. He is not big, strong or fast and his game now has to be a grind it out go to the dirty areas.  To his credit he does that.