The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I agree with the last post, that is a ridiculous assertion. It's too bad Gaunce didn't make Team Canada but if you look at his size and strengths, he looks more cut out for the North American rink. They have to pick the team based on who will play the best on the European Ice. I think Gaunce will pan out to be a good 3rd or 4th liner which is good for where he was drafted. Guys drafted after 320 rarely turn into top offensive talents. Let's just have realistic expectations for the kid.

I agree with the last post, that is a ridiculous assertion. It's too bad Gaunce didn't make Team Canada but if you look at his size and strengths, he looks more cut out for the North American rink. They have to pick the team based on who will play the best on the European Ice. I think Gaunce will pan out to be a good 3rd or 4th liner which is good for where he was drafted. Guys drafted after 320 rarely turn into top offensive talents. Let's just have realistic expectations for the kid.

It's one tourney in his whole career.

I think Gaunce will pan out to be a good 3rd or 4th liner which is good for where he was drafted. Guys drafted after 320 rarely turn into top offensive talents. Let's just have realistic expectations for the kid.

Alex Steen, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Henrik Zetterberg, Pavel Datsyuk all say hi.

I was under the impression Gaunce was drafted in the first round.... hrum, I guess I need more booze

Hrum, just how many rounds in the draft are there?

Edited by Dral

320?

"Rarely"

"Rarely"

Ya I guess it's also rare that Martin St. Louis, Joe Pavelski, Claude Giroux, David Backes, David Krejci, T.J. Oshie, Daniel Alfredsson, David Perron, Mike Richards, Radim Vrbrata, Mike Ribeiro, Ryn Kesler, and Milan Lucic are also rarities. None of those guys were also drafted before 20 and yet produce among the tops of their teams and the league.

Ya I guess it's also rare that Martin St. Louis, Joe Pavelski, Claude Giroux, David Backes, David Krejci, T.J. Oshie, Daniel Alfredsson, David Perron, Mike Richards, Radim Vrbrata, Mike Ribeiro, Ryn Kesler, and Milan Lucic are also rarities. None of those guys were also drafted before 20 and yet produce among the tops of their teams and the league.

If I wasn't on my phone, I could explain it a lot better, but here's a link:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/2082829/nhl-draft-pick-value-first-round

Its more common for 1st rounders to be successful, and that's just truth. You can easily pick out all the players drafted late, but it's just not nearly as common as someone in the top 20-30. I think that's all he was trying to say

If I wasn't on my phone, I could explain it a lot better, but here's a link:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2011/4/4/2082829/nhl-draft-pick-value-first-round

Its more common for 1st rounders to be successful, and that's just truth. You can easily pick out all the players drafted late, but it's just not nearly as common as someone in the top 20-30. I think that's all he was trying to say

While I understood what the article is saying, I am seeing a different trend happening in the NHL today. More and more of the later picks are getting better development than they were in 1997-2005. You also find that the higher talented draft picks enter the NHL earlier and don't get the same kind of development. The NHL is gradually becoming more like the American Football model where scouting and drafting is becoming more and more invested in (that's why every year we are hearing more and more about US college free agents).

I'm not saying that every lower drafted player will pan out because they're getting proper development but I'm not going to say that Gaunce will become nothing more than a 3rd/4th liner. I find that incredibly rash and ignorant. I firmly believe that any player has the capability to blossom because this is a very "blue collared" league. Skill and talent is treasured in the NHL, but it's the hard work and smarts that give players the opportunity to succeed.

Even if he turns into a Brian Boyle type, I think he will be an NHL regular at some capacity but we'll see.

It is not uncommon at all for late first round picks to never play in the NHL, and I still think Gaunce's chances are very high but I am not expecting him to be in the top 6.

Its most likely going to be a painful first couple years for Gaunce. Thank goodness he will at least start on the 4th line. I have faith in you to trade him though MG

After all of those high light packages you must have watched yes I hope he does to based on your expert opinion.

I have only seen high lights of Horvat and Shinkaruk as well though. They're barely going to be 4th line players as well. Must be busts, Gillis should trade him. I have faith based on such expert opinion as

"Highlight packages"

Seriously, go troll elsewhere. Your tired nonsense is bothersome. If you don't like it, don't comment on it please, you're only looking for attention and it is going to blow up in your face. Much like your every post will be thrown at you once Gaunce is doing fine on our third line provided Gillis doesn't mess up

After all of those high light packages you must have watched yes I hope he does to based on your expert opinion.

I have only seen high lights of Horvat and Shinkaruk as well though. They're barely going to be 4th line players as well. Must be busts, Gillis should trade him. I have faith based on such expert opinion as

"Highlight packages"

Seriously, go troll elsewhere. Your tired nonsense is bothersome. If you don't like it, don't comment on it please, you're only looking for attention and it is going to blow up in your face. Much like your every post will be thrown at you once Gaunce is doing fine on our third line provided Gillis doesn't mess up

He'll just get a new account and start talking crap about our new prospects when Gaunce makes the team.

He'll just get a new account and start talking crap about our new prospects when Gaunce makes the team.

I've no doubt but my gods how irritating is it to say so much about something you know so little about.

Back in 76 there was NO TV coverage on gretzky, he might have been a bust. With this guys mentality he would have traded Gretzky

I mean wow the temerity of the troll is beyond testing a persons patience