The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

The game Gaunce plays doesn't call for the kinda of 'quickness' you speak of. He has phenomenal position from what I have seen. Being smart trumps being quick 9/10. Gaunce isn't a top 6, but he's a future 3rd, and a great one at that.

Then, as Canuck's fans, we agree. I see him as a solid mid six winger too - just not yet.

The game Gaunce plays doesn't call for the kinda of 'quickness' you speak of. He has phenomenal position from what I have seen. Being smart trumps being quick 9/10. Gaunce isn't a top 6, but he's a future 3rd, and a great one at that.

Not true most 3rd liners are usually pretty quick Manny, torres, Hansen, Higgins, burrows(when he was a third liner), kesler(when he was a thirdliner), Richardson and the list goes on and on. It is almost an essential trait for a good 3rd liner. I think he'll get there but don't downplay its importance.

Edited by hockeyking

Not true most 3rd liners are usually pretty quick Manny, torres, Hansen, Higgins, burrows(when he was a third liner), kesler(when he was a thirdliner), Richardson and the list goes on and on. It is almost an essential trait for a good 3rd liner. I think he'll get there but don't downplay its importance.

Do you think these prototypical third liners are quick skaters because it takes quickness to be an excellent d side of the puck player and third liners are often used as checkers?

Do you think these prototypical third liners are quick skaters because it takes quickness to be an excellent d side of the puck player and third liners are often used as checkers?

I think it has less impact on defensive play but more towards checking as its required to quickly accelerate hit and then accelerate and get back into position. Otherwise you have to back off early to be positioned right. More quicker gaunce is a more physical and harder to play against gaunce with the same defensive capabilities.

I don't think a player can have just one dimension to his game is good enough to be a third liner. You either have to be atleast defensively good and skilled or defensively good and a hard checker, Ideally someone who can put up some points, is defensively good and a great checker.

I think that's what separates a thinrdliner from a fourthliner

Edited by hockeyking

I guess we are not connecting. My issue with Guance is he has slow feet. If I'm reading you right, you believe he's a fast skater, with which I don't disagree? If that does not answer your question I don't know what else to type. I like Guance, but believe he needs to lean out, and work on quick feet. How do you differ in opinion on his feet, and his speed?

Gaunce has vastly improved his skating. For a guy his size he has good wheels. Not everyone on this team needs to have Raymond like wheels.

His quickness is pretty good imo. That's what he said he was working on too.

Gaunce has vastly improved his skating. For a guy his size he has good wheels. Not everyone on this team needs to have Raymond like wheels.

It seems we agree. We both like him and expect him to be on the team one day. He understands he needs to improve his quickness, and is working on it. Perfect. When he's ready, get rid of Higgins - please!

Also for a big, positionally intelligent guys like him and Horvat it's about learning to up the pace of their game to match with the pro level. From watching him and Horvat progress over the last couple years I'd say just learning how fast they need to play has had a much for important attribute to their games than actually getting faster on their skates.

Also for a big, positionally intelligent guys like him and Horvat it's about learning to up the pace of their game to match with the pro level. From watching him and Horvat progress over the last couple years I'd say just learning how fast they need to play has had a much for important attribute to their games than actually getting faster on their skates.

Quicker. He needs to get quicker. He's plenty fast enough.

So he needs to get more rapidness in his game.

I think he got caught up in the numbers game. Virtanen and McCaan would have had to go back to juniors. He can be called up without waivers. If McCaan gets sent down, I'm sure he will be the next one up unless a more offensive player is needed. He was the perfect replacement for Higgy.

You're citing archaic language. Times change, and so does language.

Mirriam Webster is a modern dictionary, and their definitions are not archaic. I was an English teacher and so I know a bit about the language. Give up your insistance that fast skaters aren't quick (but I know you won't)

• 2 weeks later...

time to bring BG up the kid experiment has been fluffed by WD at least I know BG will be consistant an give big 3 rd an fourth line minutes .

so the "experiment" is over because he shelters their mins in close games, against teams with experienced superstars on them?  

so the "experiment" is over because he shelters their mins in close games, against teams with experienced superstars on them?  

"Thats horse $&!# an you know it". call some when else out who cares about your base attitude .When are you gonna call the experiment off after 9 games?.There appears to be a problem an its not you or I.an I think that WD is part of it an is to conservative to try right out at home games to steal a game with young guys shortening the bench for vets an gassing them resulting in losing leads is par .for the way he coaches.So right now it is a depth issue an the team seems to be struggling with lack of successful depth.rolling 3 lines down the third period makes for a painfully long year ,scoring is gonna be outstanding issue . I presumed that some scoring issues might be mitigated with the young guns but if they dont get to play an grow its a moot point.So it would be better to add some of the seasoned vets that are in the AHL system that can play 2-1 games an nurse leads WD style. An let the first line run after all it is still their team too.

A differing point of views only can confirm the contrast in aproach an ideoligy so its ok with me to send them back now an not let any more momentum slip away from this team . We have the velvet glove in WD an had iron fist in Tortorala maybe the velvet glove has yet to convey the message well enough to be understood by all the players not just young guns.