The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

7 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It seems to me that you take great pleasure in stressing just how much you're displeased with Gaunce. That can't be healthy. 

I am a Canucks fan. I take no pleasure in it. He just is not a NHL caliber player and never will be. All this talk about who should be benched and yet somehow this guy keeps getting into the lineup with no questions asked.

His last game was probably his worst of the season too. He really did nothing well on Monday and was noticeably bad.

23 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I like Gaunce but this kid is anti-offense. He needs to spend some time in AHL and give his space to someone like Goldobin when our lineup gets crowded again. 

He's already a scorer in the AHL.

More time in the minors isn't going to help him to score in the NHL.  

• Upvote 3

I like gaunce, But he needs to pot a empty netter or something.get King Kong off his shoulders. I do like his over all game a lot more than Gagme or chapoo. He a solid PKer and good defensively has decent speed and is strong on the puck as well as can actually effectively forecheck that alone makes him one of three on this roster.

he a hard player to play against something we have few of, I have no problem with Him not scoring, it’s not like the guys on the top three line and pp are lighting it up. I do Hope the guy can buy one.....soon.

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

He's already a scorer in the AHL.

More time in the minors isn't going to help him to score in the NHL.  

Sending him to the AHL is not to help him to score, it is because he is not contributing enough to be a full time NHLer nor is he showing any near-term promise. So Gaunce should now be a project waiting in the AHL until there is an opportunity for him again. 

8 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Sending him to the AHL is not to help him to score, it is because he is not contributing enough to be a full time NHLer nor is he showing any near-term promise. So Gaunce should now be a project waiting in the AHL until there is an opportunity for him again. 

He's good on the forecheck.  He creates turnovers, he creates chances.  

Quite a few time he hits the post or the goalie makes a huge save.  

While the stat line doesn't shows it, he does pass the eye-ball test.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gradin123 said:

I am a Canucks fan. I take no pleasure in it. He just is not a NHL caliber player and never will be. All this talk about who should be benched and yet somehow this guy keeps getting into the lineup with no questions asked.

His last game was probably his worst of the season too. He really did nothing well on Monday and was noticeably bad.

The veterans were worse.  Gaunce was okay.

45 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

He's good on the forecheck.  He creates turnovers, he creates chances.  

Quite a few time he hits the post or the goalie makes a huge save.  

While the stat line doesn't shows it, he does pass the eye-ball test.  

Megna does all of that and does it better. Megna also scores. So are you saying we should bring Megna up? 

Dunno what's with the blind love for Gaunce on this board. He's had his ice time and didn't prove his stay. He's also just 23 years old and could be better next season. Right now he is just taking away a roster position from guys like Goldobin or Boucher who is more ready than he is. 

9 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Megna does all of that and does it better. Megna also scores. So are you saying we should bring Megna up? 

Dunno what's with the blind love for Gaunce on this board. He's had his ice time and didn't prove his stay. He's also just 23 years old and could be better next season. Right now he is just taking away a roster position from guys like Goldobin or Boucher who is more ready than he is. 

Goldobin, is keeping Goldobin out of the line-up.

16 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

I would think Green would disagree, along with what seems to be the majority of posters on CDC. Gaunce's defense and positional play is fantastic. He goes in hard on forechecks and is relentless on defense. He's more than proven his stay. Literally his only weakness is offense. Everything else, he's great at.

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

You mean Megna when he was on the 1st line?  lol

Gaunce is on the 4th line, becoming a go-to guy defensively and on the PK.  I don't ever remember WD trusting Megna to protect a lead.... but Green constantly have Gaunce out during those important times.  

Gaunce hasn't been scoring.... you make it sound like everyone else is scoring tons, except him.  Brandon Sutter has only 2 goals... and one of them was an empty netter gifted by Gaunce.  Complaining about Gaunce not providing offense is like also complaining that Gudbranson isn't piling up point either.  

This isn't some whatever incarnation of NHL video game on the console, not every players' main goal is to provide offense.  Brendan Gaunce's role is to defend, protect the lead, on the PK, play physical..... to give players like the Horvat and Baertschi more rest so they can focus on offense.  

BTW... if you rather have Goldobin or Boucher on the PK or defending a lead in the dying minutes of a game.... :picard:

Oh wow, I didn't know Gaunce has turned into such an important defensive forward. Teams must be cowering in fear to play against us with him anchoring our 4th line shutting them down. He must be one in a kind, being a great defensive forward who can manage to go pointless forever and ever. Any thought about switching Gaunce to defense? Better pony up a multimillion dollar contract for Gaunce based on his great defensive play described in your false reality statement. 

5 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Oh wow, I didn't know Gaunce has turned into such an important defensive forward. Teams must be cowering in fear to play against us with him anchoring our 4th line shutting them down. He must be one in a kind, being a great defensive forward who can manage to go pointless forever and ever. Any thought about switching Gaunce to defense? Better pony up a multimillion dollar contract for Gaunce based on his great defensive play described in your false reality statement. 

So you are a yuuuge fan of hyperbole, I take it?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Drakrami said:

Nobody said he was making the opposition cowering in fear.

Fact:  He's playing in key defensive situations  

Fact:  He's being utilized heavily on the PK

Fact:  He's very defensively reliable

But lets make it easier for you to understand.  Who is better defensively..... Gaunce or Goldobin?  Gaunce or Boucher?  Answer me that.  

is gaunce not a big guy  who can't score? does give out hits on a regular basis? i watched him take the puck down the ice let the opponent take it and skate away. . i was willing to give him a chance but we can't afford chances now. everyone needs to step up and get goals .  there are too many players like gaunce that can score a few and do the same as what he does every night. but even if we traded him, i doubt very much any team would want him. 

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

is gaunce not a big guy  who can't score? does give out hits on a regular basis? i watched him take the puck down the ice let the opponent take it and skate away. . i was willing to give him a chance but we can't afford chances now. everyone needs to step up and get goals .  there are too many players like gaunce that can score a few and do the same as what he does every night. but even if we traded him, i doubt very much any team would want him. 

This is kind of why I thought Gaunce would be a better fit on a high scoring team.  I think a team like the Islanders could use him.  His lack of scoring wouldn’t be noticed so much there.  Yet, he’s still a really solid fourth liner, and PK guy, who will take on the hard minutes.  I do believe the right team would give up something pretty good for Gaunce.  Those responsible fourth line PK guys, who are  young and cheap have value.  I would only trade him though, if the return was an equally young guy, who has top six skill, but is stalled in his development.  Maybe a Baer or Granny kind of guy?

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This is kind of why I thought Gaunce would be a better fit on a high scoring team.  I think a team like the Islanders could use him.  His lack of scoring wouldn’t be noticed so much there.  Yet, he’s still a really solid fourth liner, and PK guy, who will take on the hard minutes.  I do believe the right team would give up something pretty good for Gaunce.  Those responsible fourth line PK guys, who are  young and cheap have value.  I would only trade him though, if the return was an equally young guy, who has top six skill, but is stalled in his development.  Maybe a Baer or Granny kind of guy?

I think the Canucks will be a high scoring team in the next couple of years and they'll still need a solid 4th liner, who's good on the PK and plays the hard minutes.  I'd rather that be a character guy that has a strong bond with the team that were patient with his development. 

• Upvote 3