The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I'm also not down of trading Gaunce. But if we have to trade for an organizational need, then I guess he would be the perfect guy. Many teams will definitely try and grab him as he is a very good prospect indeed.

Right now we have 4 centers that have a legitimate chance of making the bigs in the future.

Horvat

McCann

Cassels

Gaunce.

McCann has potential to be first line center for us while Horvat centers the second line with this defensive two-way game that can put Kesler type numbers and clutch numbers as well hopefully :).

Now we have Gaunce and Cassels.

Gaunce, as someone mentioned above earlier, is that he is those kinds of prospects that looks to transition to the bigs quite easily. I will be really happy if he becomes our future dedicated 3rd line center that can play 2nd line minutes when necessary. Kinda like Brandon Sutter who is a terrific 3rd line center that can play top 6 minutes and produce. Since this is "Gaunce talk" I will keep Cassels out of the mix :)

McCann, Horvat, and Gaunce in the mix down the middle that all can win faceoffs, looks to be a deadly center core group. I mean just look at teams like LA, Boston, Pittsburgh etc. They have 3 centers that can all play top 6 minutes and play a steady, reliable minutes and if we really want to roll 4 lines in the future, we need to have 4 lines that can win faceoffs and get us points. I think Gaunce brings that stability which is why I really want him to be here.

Just my two cents worth.

Edited by J_V_18

Hopefuly he can bust out of this scoring drought he's on. The Comets struggling on offence as of late and it would really be good for the team (and their Calder Cup Chances) if both Gaunce and Shinkaruk could start getting hot towards a playoff run. Everyone knows that a player that dominates the AHL and then also the playoffs is going to be a great NHL player (The Getzlaf/Perry & Carter/Richards deal).

I would take Theodore over any prospect not named Horvat in this organization.

And this is coming from someone who thinks Gaunce can be Jordan Staal.

Shea?

Ya I'd be hard pressed to not want to trade anyone not named Horvat as well. Add ons include Hutton Subban Shinkaruk. everyone else imo is fair game as he represents something we don't have.

But like I said numerous times, it would take something special for me to be ok giving up Gaunce, I always liked him and I always thought he had some incredible potential

Theodore is a good offensive d-man, but nothing special.

Lol nothing special? He led the entire WHL in points for defensemen last year as an 18 year old, he had more points that Pouliot, Morrisey, Pulock, Severson, Bowey, and he was younger than all of them. If he was a Canucks prospect, people here would be saying he's the next Yandle.

He had a higher ppg than Gaunce last year as a defensemen, while being a year and a half younger, and playing on a much worse team.

You better believe that the difference between Theodore and Gaunce is WAYYYYYYYYY more than a 4th round pick lmao.

Edited by Pimp C
  • Upvote 1

Shea?

Ya I'd be hard pressed to not want to trade anyone not named Horvat as well. Add ons include Hutton Subban Shinkaruk. everyone else imo is fair game as he represents something we don't have.

But like I said numerous times, it would take something special for me to be ok giving up Gaunce, I always liked him and I always thought he had some incredible potential

I wouldn't trade Horvat or Virtanen for him. Shinkaruk, Jensen, McCann, Gaunce, Hutton, Demko, Tryamkin are all fair game though for a guy like Theodore.

Lol nothing special? He led the entire WHL in points for defensemen last year as an 18 year old, he had more points that Pouliot, Morrisey, Pulock, Severson, Bowey, and he was younger than all of them. If he was a Canucks prospect, people here would be saying he's the next Yandle.

He had a higher ppg than Gaunce last year as a defensemen, while being a year and a half younger, and playing on a much worse team.

You better believe that the difference between Theodore and Gaunce is WAYYYYYYYYY more than a 4th round pick lmao.

He also had 5 points in 5 games on a conditioning stint in the AHL before going back to Junior this year.

Keep looking at points, how's Kevin Connauton doing by the way?

Connauton is way more physical and put up similar stats in his post-draft year.

Traded once, waived once 4 years later.

I'm also not down of trading Gaunce. But if we have to trade for an organizational need, then I guess he would be the perfect guy. Many teams will definitely try and grab him as he is a very good prospect indeed.

Right now we have 4 centers that have a legitimate chance of making the bigs in the future.

Horvat

McCann

Cassels

Gaunce.

McCann has potential to be first line center for us while Horvat centers the second line with this defensive two-way game that can put Kesler type numbers and clutch numbers as well hopefully :).

Now we have Gaunce and Cassels.

Gaunce, as someone mentioned above earlier, is that he is those kinds of prospects that looks to transition to the bigs quite easily. I will be really happy if he becomes our future dedicated 3rd line center that can play 2nd line minutes when necessary. Kinda like Brandon Sutter who is a terrific 3rd line center that can play top 6 minutes and produce. Since this is "Gaunce talk" I will keep Cassels out of the mix :)

McCann, Horvat, and Gaunce in the mix down the middle that all can win faceoffs, looks to be a deadly center core group. I mean just look at teams like LA, Boston, Pittsburgh etc. They have 3 centers that can all play top 6 minutes and play a steady, reliable minutes and if we really want to roll 4 lines in the future, we need to have 4 lines that can win faceoffs and get us points. I think Gaunce brings that stability which is why I really want him to be here.

Just my two cents worth.

Good positive stuff..but factor in a few more points:

-Cassels has bloodlines, exp thru his old man('round the game)

-He's a nasty, abrasively intense sort, offering an element Gaunce doesn't(at least outwardly)

-Cassels is a righty

At this point, Gaunce still prob garners a greater return(in trade)..although that may be changing daily. There's the option of 1 or 2 of them shifting to wing. However, we're gonna get a fwd-logjam sooner, or later.

Be interesting to see what JB decides, with this apparent surplus.