The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

What are we calling the definition of a power-forward these days? Do they need to be crushing guys with hits, or just play a physical game/get into the dirty areas? 

I'd say 'true' power forwards drafted in the second round or later include: Wayne Simmonds, Jamie Benn, Anders Lee, Boone Jenner, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, maybe Carl Soderberg, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky

I would consider the highlighted power forwards. But Jenner and Lee still haven't had a lot of big seasons even so far in there careers, even though they probably will thoughout their careers. The others are more of a Mix of two-way/Powerforwards

4 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Ha, it is interesting you mentioned smaller players, where I'm pretty sure we're only picked very low because they're from Europe or was because of their height. 

It maybe true, that a mean big body who can put up 50+ a year, is rare. Add to the fact that the average height of a NA or Uero people are around 5'11 to 6' which makes people around that size much more plenty. 

So a player has more control to his skill, but could not control how tall they would grow(genetics, etc)

Usually the skill guys that are 5'11-6'0 + are drafted in the first round because they are viewed as bigger and stronger. There are probaly other guys who are in the same boat but  are 5'10-6'1. IMO when you get to the bottom of the first round you should pick talent over size

IMO most powerforwards are 6-6'3 with the odd 6'4 + guy

2 hours ago, Canorth said:

Didn't that goal deflect off his leg?

Exactly. Only decent net presence we've had all season long. Defenders couldn't contain him, goalie couldn't see past him. I'd rather have pucks deflecting off our net presence and going in than having Dorsett or Virtanen working hard in the corners to set up nobody in front of the net.

Our forwards are ranked as the smallest and lightest in the entire NHL. That's embarassing. Getting a big body like Gaunce into the mix would do wonders for this club.

6 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

that is so unfair to bo. he singlehandedly made goals happen with his positioning and battle 5 times off the top of my head in the first 15 games this year.

Horvat's been good in the front of the net, as has Burrows, but that's been it. Problem is, Horvat's a center and does amazing work along the side of the boards, and Burrows is often controlling the puck themselves. That line, and especially our McCann line, really lack a true dedicated person to plonk themselves in the crease.

Hansen does it nicely on the top line because that's his designated role. Horvat and Burrows' net presences have been inconsistent and Burrows is constantly getting dumped because he's really not that big and strong enough.

If we call up Gaunce, put him on our 3rd line and just tell him to stand in the crease that opens up a LOT of space for the other forwards. Play him with a skilled guy like Baertschi and McCann, let them play give and go with each other and fight along the boards, then work a shot between the two of them and the defenders. Gaunce's presence will open up space and generate offence. That's essentially how the Sedins have success. In fact that's how just about every successful line in the NHL has success - 1 playmaker + 1 shooter + 1 net presence.

Right now our forwards are terribly unbalanced, but putting a big body on one of those lines gives us more balance. I'm not saying WD is doing a bad job of coaching, he doesn't have much to work with, but I think we need to go with that sort of chemistry on each line.

33 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Horvat's been good in the front of the net, as has Burrows, but that's been it. Problem is, Horvat's a center and does amazing work along the side of the boards, and Burrows is often controlling the puck themselves. That line, and especially our McCann line, really lack a true dedicated person to plonk themselves in the crease.

Hansen does it nicely on the top line because that's his designated role. Horvat and Burrows' net presences have been inconsistent and Burrows is constantly getting dumped because he's really not that big and strong enough.

If we call up Gaunce, put him on our 3rd line and just tell him to stand in the crease that opens up a LOT of space for the other forwards. Play him with a skilled guy like Baertschi and McCann, let them play give and go with each other and fight along the boards, then work a shot between the two of them and the defenders. Gaunce's presence will open up space and generate offence. That's essentially how the Sedins have success. In fact that's how just about every successful line in the NHL has success - 1 playmaker + 1 shooter + 1 net presence.

Right now our forwards are terribly unbalanced, but putting a big body on one of those lines gives us more balance. I'm not saying WD is doing a bad job of coaching, he doesn't have much to work with, but I think we need to go with that sort of chemistry on each line.

How does that help Bo's line? 

15 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

But is he the dynamic offensive force DUC seems to think he is? My money says no. 

Well I think his potential upside in his prime is to consistently get 40 -  50 points, and play a heavy defensive game.  He is BIG, he is SMART, and he has been successful at every level.  Will he be a dynamic offensive force, no, highly unlikely, but he will be well above Higgin's high level mark, AND, he will be the type of player I want in a playoff run.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

But is he the dynamic offensive force DUC seems to think he is? My money says no. 

He doesn't have to be a dynamic offensive force, he just has to bring more to the table than our bottom-9 forwards are right now which isn't too difficult.

If we consider the Sedins, Hansen, Sutter, Burrows and Vbrata as our top-6, our 8 of our bottom-6 forwards have combined for 19 goals. Cracknell has 3 goals. Just about everyone else has 2 goals in around 30 games played each. That is pretty damn pathetic.

Gaunce literally just has to score one more goal and he's already scored as many as our bottom-6 forwards have in more than a third of a season played. I doubt it'll take him 28 games to do so.

The problem is our depth forwards aren't being challenged for ice time right now. Vey is well and truly burried in the AHL and having a brutal year there too, Shinkaruk isn't getting a sniff and Gaunce was just injured. For some reason WD seems content with this miniscule offensive production from our bottom-6 forwards.

Why not plug Gaunce in? What do we have to lose? He can kill penalties as well by the way, so it's really not much of a risk to play him.

3 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly. Only decent net presence we've had all season long

I'd say Burrows has been pretty strong in that department, the biggest problem with net front presence is the mistimed shots coming in from the d.

11 hours ago, Stormriders said:

He is so much more than a grinder, and has the potential to be much more than some realize.

It was referencing/in jest of DUC's own wording:

I've got a feeling if we plugged Gaunce in he's the type of grinder who can score, and that big body would be a rare commodity in this tiny Canuck forward lineup.

I quite like Gaunce and I also think he's got lots of potential to be a solid, ~40 point bottom 9/middle 6 guy who's smart and plays a solid 2 way game with some size (though he does need to learn to play heavier, more regularly) in his prime. But while he looks promising in that role, he's not likely to be a 40 point guy right now. He'd probably be a ~20 point guy now. So DUC's ascertion that he should be playing over other guys at this point is a bit premature IMO.

He'll get his chance with injuries and once we start clearing out guys like Higgins. People just need to be patient.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, J.R. said:

It was referencing/in jest of DUC's own wording:

I quite like Gaunce and I also think he's got lots of potential to be a solid, ~40 point bottom 9/middle 6 guy who's smart and plays a solid 2 way game with some size (though he does need to learn to play heavier, more regularly) in his prime. But while he looks promising in that role, he's not likely to be a 40 point guy right now. He'd probably be a ~20 point guy now. So DUC's ascertion that he should be playing over other guys at this point is a bit premature IMO.

He'll get his chance with injuries and once we start clearing out guys like Higgins. People just need to be patient.

Any 3rd line player that puts up 40 points is more than solid.

Gaunce has size and reads the play well. I like the way he cuts to the net when he has the opportunity. It would require some jockeying of the roster but I think both McCann and Virtanen should go to the WJC. Shink and Gaunce should be brought up during their absence. Even Jensen cold have a look.

• Upvote 2

Virtanen sure. Man 

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Any 3rd line player that puts up 40 points is more than solid.

Gaunce has size and reads the play well. I like the way he cuts to the net when he has the opportunity. It would require some jockeying of the roster but I think both McCann and Virtanen should go to the WJC. Shink and Gaunce should be brought up during their absence. Even Jensen cold have a look.

Virtanen sure. McCann is a centre... None of those guys are centres.... 

On 12/11/2015 at 10:19 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

I'd say Burrows has been pretty strong in that department, the biggest problem with net front presence is the mistimed shots coming in from the d.

Plus Burrows has to be squeaky clean in front of the net. His mistimed penalties have cost the Canuck PP, often this season. Say what you want, but I think both Zebras have their eyes on #14. Big Bert, the same.

On 12/11/2015 at 11:59 AM, Edlerberry said:

that is so unfair to bo. he singlehandedly made goals happen with his positioning and battle 5 times off the top of my head in the first 15 games this year.

Actually Horvat is absolutely terrible in front of the net. Never battles. When the defender comes to crosscheck him, he just moves away. He goes for the redirect instead of screening the goalie too. Trust me, I watch the games. 

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Virtanen sure. Man 

Virtanen sure. McCann is a centre... None of those guys are centres.... 

Gaunce is a converted center. WJC does not last that long. Canucks are not a playoff team. IMO McCann and Virtanen could have a NHL break with a positive experience. I believe Dorsett has played some C so give him a shot or a Utica C.

To me this season is all about developing the youth. Sending those two to WJC would be good for them.