The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

11 hours ago, Gyllenhaal said:

Once Higgins is traded Gaunce should be the guy to replace him. He'll bring the defensive consistency that Higgins always does and will be able to develop his offensive game at the highest level.

Agree.  I think he has the potential to reach (young)Higgy's level of defensive play, an possibly his offense. Brendan was 2nd overall in the Jr draft for his year (behind Galchenyuk), mainly due to his offensive abilities.  In Jrs, I think he was pushed into a defensive role, due to his hockey IQ and size.

He's improved his skating and his hockey sense gets him where he needs to be, in a timely fashion.

He will be an awesome 3rd line guy.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, J.R. said:

Canucks problem = Not enough skill/scoring, too many grinders.

DUC's solution = Bring up another grinder! 

:picard:

1 goal in 2 games.

Not bad for a grinder.

I say we give Gaunce a chance over all these other pylons who have one or two goals in 20 games.

But hey, lets just stick with Higgins, Dorsett, Prust, Virtanen and Baertschi. I mean maybe they'll score another 2 goals in the next 20 games...

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1 goal in 2 games.

Not bad for a grinder.

I say we give Gaunce a chance over all these other pylons who have one or two goals in 20 games.

But hey, lets just stick with Higgins, Dorsett, Prust, Virtanen and Baertschi. I mean maybe they'll score another 2 goals in the next 20 games...

Big body guys that go to the net create more space for the skill guys which increases scoring chances.

Replacing Higgins with Gaunce would be a good thing IMO.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1 goal in 2 games.

Not bad for a grinder.

Naah, you're right. Gaunce would definitely continue to score at a 42goal/82game pace. 

Brilliant idea DUC!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Naah, you're right. Gaunce would definitely continue to score at a 42goal/82game pace. 

Brilliant idea DUC!

I never said he'd continue that pace, but I'd rather throw in a kid who did brilliant things offensively and defensively in the 2 game stint he had with the Canucks that beat the dead horse that is Higgins, Dorsett, Prust and Virtanen. We don't get much out of those 4 offensively, they play alright defensively sometimes but having so many of the same type of unskilled players who aren't producing is hurting this team.

If we keep riding out those grinders over the course of the season we're going to continue to struggle. Time to freshen things up. Gaunce is back from injury, he had another big game in Utica, it's time to call him up and start the press box rotation.

21 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Two words: sample size.

I don't think it's that simple.

I like what I saw from 2 games of Gaunce more than I did 20 games of Virtanen or 20 from Dorsett and Prust. Higgins has been instrumental on our PK I'll admit that and he plays a really good defensive game, but the other grinders really don't bring any offence. I think we need a shakeup in the bottom-6.

Our bottom-6 has been arguably the league's worst offensively. Sure, Cracknell, Dorsett and Prust have some nice shifts at times and look like they're generating chances, but their goals have come as empty netters and against a pathetic Buffalo defence - that's been it so far, and it's well over a quarter of the season over.

We need a change, and when looking for a change I'd go with that 2 game sample size of Gaunce over anyone else. Grenier and Shinkaruk were alright in their stints but all we have to judge is that 2 games and 10 or so in the AHL, and based on them I'd say Gaunce deserves a shot again more than some of the guys in this lineup. Give him the chance to extent that sample size because he's earned it. He played hard in all 3 zones during his stint, scored a great goal, what more is he supposed to do?

On December 10, 2015 at 4:03:45 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don't think it's that simple.

I like what I saw from 2 games of Gaunce more than I did 20 games of Virtanen or 20 from Dorsett and Prust. Higgins has been instrumental on our PK I'll admit that and he plays a really good defensive game, but the other grinders really don't bring any offence. I think we need a shakeup in the bottom-6.

Our bottom-6 has been arguably the league's worst offensively. Sure, Cracknell, Dorsett and Prust have some nice shifts at times and look like they're generating chances, but their goals have come as empty netters and against a pathetic Buffalo defence - that's been it so far, and it's well over a quarter of the season over.

We need a change, and when looking for a change I'd go with that 2 game sample size of Gaunce over anyone else. Grenier and Shinkaruk were alright in their stints but all we have to judge is that 2 games and 10 or so in the AHL, and based on them I'd say Gaunce deserves a shot again more than some of the guys in this lineup. Give him the chance to extent that sample size because he's earned it. He played hard in all 3 zones during his stint, scored a great goal, what more is he supposed to do?

virtanen will start getting more offense watch him light it up

50 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I never said he'd continue that pace, but I'd rather throw in a kid who did brilliant things offensively and defensively in the 2 game stint he had with the Canucks that beat the dead horse that is Higgins, Dorsett, Prust and Virtanen. We don't get much out of those 4 offensively, they play alright defensively sometimes but having so many of the same type of unskilled players who aren't producing is hurting this team.

Didn't that goal deflect off his leg?

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Gstank said it is easy to find elite skill in the draft.

A lot easier than it is a true power forward

Gaudreau, Johnson, Kucherov, Hoffman, Panarin, ETC

Now give me a list of true powerforwards who put up 50+ points a year who were drafted after the 1st round

.............. Lucic.......... and thats about it LOL

Edited by Gstank29

11 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Now give me a list of true powerforwards who put up 50+ points a year who were drafted after the 1st round

Is hockey changing though, much like the NBA has, where these bigger players (who are less mobile) have lesser value?  The dY of the overpowering centre are gone in the NBA.  Now it's the smaller, and much quicker players, who seem to have more importance.  Is the same route hockey is going?

16 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Panarin and Johnson weren't drafted.

• Upvote 1

What are we calling the definition of a power-forward these days? Do they need to be crushing guys with hits, or just play a physical game/get into the dirty areas? 

I'd say 'true' power forwards drafted in the second round or later include: Wayne Simmonds, Jamie Benn, Anders Lee, Boone Jenner, Troy Brouwer, Joel Ward, maybe Carl Soderberg, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Gstank29 said:

Ha, it is interesting you mentioned smaller players, where I'm pretty sure we're only picked very low because they're from Europe or was because of their height. 

It maybe true, that a mean big body who can put up 50+ a year, is rare. Add to the fact that the average height of a NA or Uero people are around 5'11 to 6' which makes people around that size much more plenty. 

So a player has more control to his skill, but could not control how tall they would grow(genetics, etc)