The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm saying if he's on the 4th line he clearly isn't good enough to play in the top 9 which means he isn't good enough to play against that type of competition. Sure he can have a few shifts a game against that type of competition but he shouldn't be playing in a role he isn't ready for.

I know how development works, if you want to really develop your player into the best player he can become then do it like Detroit. They let them sit in the AHL and play top minutes while slowly transitioning to the same player at the NHL level. Give Horvat the same role in Junior, AHL and then to the NHL. Don't go top line Junior to bottom line NHL.

Horvat should go as this:

13/14: Two-way, top line Junior.

14/15: AHL, top 6, two-way shutdown player (same role as in junior), playing same minutes. If he excels give him some time in the NHL and see how he does in a 2nd/3rd line spot.

15/16: Start him in the AHL, if there's no doubt, then he's ready to play in the NHL. If it goes correctly he should be able to jump into the top 6 while he's still on his ELC or close to the top 6. Then he finally grows into the player want.

I just hope our development staff don't screw it up.

I understand the dtroit model, but they do that because they have too. They've made the playoffs for over 20 years in a row. They don't get high quality prospects usually. So they compensate by excellent drafting and letting them sit and develop for long periods of time. But even they know, if someone is ready to contribute, you may want to just let them. Next year Anthony Mantha might straight up make the team and not go back to Junior.

But anyway, what I'm saying is, with different prospects, you do different things, and yes it's totally fair to assume that the 9th overall pick in a deep draft would make the squad and not get sent back down.

Plum;

My comment would be that there is a huge dif between the 2 lost years in Chicago and what is available in Utica. The Utica contracts are Vancouver's in the sense that their management has the say. Chicago was brutal. MacT was caught between two bosses. A

large group of Van's prospects ended up in Kallamazzo for a lost season.

I have been a Utica supporter since the beginning not just for the Van ownership. Utica is nicely placed geographically in the AHL. It heightens Vancouver's presence in a area dominated by NCAA Div I teams. Since the AHL is primarily a 'weekend' league I can see the attraction for collegiate players to turn pro and yet maintain their college programs. Exposure to senior Canuck management has to be attractive. For non collegiate players Utica can sign unlimited number of contracts unlike the NHL 50 limit. There is no AHL CAP. I can see Gillman working this system to increase organizational depth and possibly popping out the occasional NHLer.

I understand the dtroit model, but they do that because they have too. They've made the playoffs for over 20 years in a row. They don't get high quality prospects usually. So they compensate by excellent drafting and letting them sit and develop for long periods of time. But even they know, if someone is ready to contribute, you may want to just let them. Next year Anthony Mantha might straight up make the team and not go back to Junior.

But anyway, what I'm saying is, with different prospects, you do different things, and yes it's totally fair to assume that the 9th overall pick in a deep draft would make the squad and not get sent back down.

Detroit era of developing players was during the Non Cap Era. They left players in the minors because there was no room for them. They bought cups. Look at the last few years their drafting and development. Their best young D was a FA signing Dekayser, Smith and Kindl average at best before that it was Kronwal drafted in 2000...14 years ago. And PLEASE don't bring up Datysuk and Zetterburg, late round picks that even they passed over numerous times. And besides the scout that worked EU has retired. I'm thinking maybe Mantha might come through but there was never doubt about his skills it's his consistency that's why he was available when he was ...He should have been ranked higher...size and skill.

The final staw that breaks the Camel (Detroit ) back will be Babcock leaving at the end of this season. This guy has gotten blood out of stones for the Wings

If he's good enough to make the Canucks on the 4th line, he will get more minutes as he earns them. As Herb Brooks would say, "GET THAT THROUGH YOUR HEAD!"

Bingo!!!

If Bo makes the 4th line and soaks up his 6/7 minutes and holds things steady...wins faceoffs, keeps pucks in deep, doesnt take dumb penalties, plays responsible, isnt a liability....no reason to think he cant get more minutes as injuries creep in come November.

I been reading alot of Plum's developement itinerary for Bo and yes it makes sense but ....what if?

What if he pulls an O'Reilly and makes the team and becomes an instant factor? There goes your whole theory.

Looking at reality knowing we are deep at center...

Hank

Vey

Bonino

Richardson

Matthias

Unless one of Richardson or Matthias gets packaged and moved, I dont see Horvat making this team this year. I truely hope Horvat makes it.

He will be sent to junior to play out his WJC and Gaunce will get the call-ups as injuries set in.

Bingo!!!

If Bo makes the 4th line and soaks up his 6/7 minutes and holds things steady...wins faceoffs, keeps pucks in deep, doesnt take dumb penalties, plays responsible, isnt a liability....no reason to think he cant get more minutes as injuries creep in come November.

I been reading alot of Plum's developement itinerary for Bo and yes it makes sense but ....what if?

What if he pulls an O'Reilly and makes the team and becomes an instant factor? There goes your whole theory.

Hank

Vey

Bonino

Richardson

Matthias

Unless one of Richardson or Matthias gets packaged and moved, I dont see Horvat making this team this year. I truely hope Horvat makes it.

He will be sent to junior to play out his WJC and Gaunce will get the call-ups as injuries set in.

can never have too many centers. Plus vey and Matthias are not so good in the dot.

can never have too many centers. Plus vey and Matthias are not so good in the dot.

I believe this was brought up about LA. Pretty sure they had about 7 centre's in there lineup during the playoff's.

So I agree, As long as Bo's ready I agree he should be on the team. I dont think he has anything else to learn in the OHL.

Bingo!!!

Hank

Vey

Bonino

Richardson

Matthias

It's going to be tough for Horvat to make the roster IMO beause simply put there's NHL proved players ahead of him. I don't think it may have helped his cause when he turned up 10 lbs over weight at the Prospects Camp...you have to ask yourself why and what message does that send. Horvat should be worried when Benning signed Vey and Bonino to say nothing of Vrbata for the next 3 years. He best not turn up in September over weight

Hank

Vey

Bonino

Richardson

Matthias

At least one of Vey/Matthias can and likely will be playing on their respective wings.

I could easily see either of:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen

Dorsett

or if the young guys need a bit more sheltering:

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Higgins, Richardson, Hansen

Matthias, Horvat, Vey

Dorsett

At least one of Vey/Matthias can and likely will be playing on their respective wings.

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Dorsett

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Matthias, Horvat, Vey

Dorsett

I don't believe Benning signed Dorsett to park him in the press box, or send Sestito down on waivers. Horvats in tough to make the team he needs to prove himself IMO

It's going to be tough for Horvat to make the roster IMO beause simply put there's NHL proved players ahead of him. I don't think it may have helped his cause when he turned up 10 lbs over weight at the Prospects Camp...you have to ask yourself why and what message does that send. Horvat should be worried when Benning signed Vey and Bonino to say nothing of Vrbata for the next 3 years. He best not turn up in September over weight

He wasn't "overweight" in a Welwood sense. He has yet to lean down or "cut" from bulking up. It's very common in training routine and also makes sense with a summer timeline of bulking up in the early summer and cutting towards the end.

I don't believe Benning signed Dorsett to park him in the press box, or send Sestito down on waivers. Horvats in tough to make the team he needs to prove himself IMO

If Horvat does indeed make the team, Benning would be more than happy to waive Sestito.

Dorsett would get playing time with injuries, slumps and for situational use (subbing in for Vey/Hansen when additional grit might be required).

It would also likely signal an impending trade IMO at some point.

Absolutely agreed though that Horvat has to prove himself first.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

Well Morrisey and Lazar aren't on the same team as Horvat. Reinhart was the captain of his team but i suppose team 2 would have a different captain.

I thought Morrisey was horrible at the WJC last year. Did not like his game at all.

Edited by Dogbyte

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Dorsett

Sedin, Sedin, Vrbata

Burrows, Bonino, Kassian

Matthias, Horvat, Vey

Dorsett

Horvat can also play LW.

Horvat can also play LW.

Yup.

I'll say it again. Horvat can take any of 4 spots on the team 3rd or 4th line C or LW. He really only needs to match or outplay Sestito to get a spot IMO. If he outplays any of the other guys it's gravy.

Edited by J.R.

you are corrwct sir but when it becomes a cap issue the guy that doesn't need to be waived will always lose out. Benning has gone on record to state the contrary but we shall see.

As far as Horvat bulking up, he is naturally a bulky/stocky guy to begin with. He stated his foot speed due to his weight is his area to work on. Hopefully his power skating in the summer will work that off.

If Horvat does indeed make the team, Benning would be more than happy to waive Sestito.

Dorsett would get playing time with injuries, slumps and for situational use (subbing in for Vey/Hansen when additional grit might be required).

It would also likely signal an impending trade IMO at some point.

Absolutely agreed though that Horvat has to prove himself first.

Not so sure about waiving Sestito this division is a black and blue division, look at some of the rosters.