The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Well, Horvat left the Oiler game in the first. If he's hurt, that puts his chances of making the team down to pretty much nothing. Thanks, Coilers.

I'm ok with that. If Horvat doesn't make the team because he got hurt and goes back to junior, he'll hate the Oilers so much that the Canucks will win vs the Oilers for the next decade plus. Count Shinkaruk's hate of the Flames for not drafting him and the Canucks are in great shape against our rivals.

• Upvote 1

If he got hurt it was definitely a shoulder injury. It's literally the only area that took a huge impact other than him hitting the ice. I'm guessing he jammed it pretty good so there will be some bruising and irritation in the joint. As long as it not a tendon or collarbone issue he should be back quickly.

Guest Dasein

Well, Horvat left the Oiler game in the first. If he's hurt, that puts his chances of making the team down to pretty much nothing. Thanks, Coilers.

I don't think this will affect his chances at making the team at all. If management and coaching staff thought he was ready, they'll give him his 9 games to see during regular season (as we are bound to have an injury that will allow us to play him for at least a few games if we choose to give him a shot).

If he got hurt it was definitely a shoulder injury. It's literally the only area that took a huge impact other than him hitting the ice. I'm guessing he jammed it pretty good so there will be some bruising and irritation in the joint. As long as it not a tendon or collarbone issue he should be back quickly.

Yeah, that was a real nice clean open-ice hit and Bo just got caught. It didn't look too serious from the replay and he's a pretty solid guy. Hopefully it's just soreness and precaution.

I can't be the only one here who doesn't want Horvat on the team this year? Are there any others that think he would develop best with another year of junior?

I think ideally Bo goes back to Junior and develop. However, he has looked good and seems like a legitimate candidate on our 4th line because of our lack of depth at center. Basically, it comes down to whether we play Vey at center or not - if Vey is at center, that leaves no room for Bo - if Vey is at wing, Bo will get a look at 4C.

Edited by Dasein

Good article.

I don't even think we should be drafting 18 year olds. I would rather if they pushed it back to 19.

I know everyone is excited about our prospects but they are still a year away from being anything more than fringe players. The last thing we want to do is destroy their confidence. Send Horvat to junior and work on his offensive game. Send Shinkaruk to the AHL let him adjust to the pro game. Next year Horvat and Shinkaruk (maybe even Virtanen but I doubt it) will really push for significant roster spots. We need to be patient with these prospects.

I agree completely. I'd love to see a 19 year old draft, rather than 18. I think teams would have a much better idea of who players are going to be at 19, as oppposed to 18

I don't think this will affect his chances at making the team at all. If management and coaching staff thought he was ready, they'll give him his 9 games to see during regular season (as we are bound to have an injury that will allow us to play him for at least a few games if we choose to give him a shot).

Yeah, that was a real nice clean open-ice hit and Bo just got caught. It didn't look too serious from the replay and he's a pretty solid guy. Hopefully it's just soreness and precaution.

I think ideally Bo goes back to Junior and develop. However, he has looked good and seems like a legitimate candidate on our 4th line because of our lack of depth at center. Basically, it comes down to whether we play Vey at center or not - if Vey is at center, that leaves no room for Bo - if Vey is at wing, Bo will get a look at 4C.

What he said ^^ And personally I think Vey's a better winger. If anything, Mathias and Richardson are our bottom 6 C's with Horvat either injured or sent back to London.

Guest Dasein

I agree completely. I'd love to see a 19 year old draft, rather than 18. I think teams would have a much better idea of who players are going to be at 19, as oppposed to 18

Then would Bo still go top 10 if the draft was held a year later? Touchy subject to bring up in this thread.

I think it would depend on a team's positional need for center. BPA? Probably falls outside of the top 10.

Guest Dasein

What he said ^^ And personally I think Vey's a better winger. If anything, Mathias and Richardson are our bottom 6 C's with Horvat either injured or sent back to London.

Yeah I didn't watch the game but from what I've heard Matthias looked much better at center than wing, so we might end up just playing Vey at wing and still afford to send Bo down.

Yeah I didn't watch the game but from what I've heard Matthias looked much better at center than wing, so we might end up just playing Vey at wing and still afford to send Bo down.

I'd be tempted to still move him back to W once Borvat was healthy. Better depth, better faceoffs, better balance

how would switching the draft age to 19 work though? one year would be comprised solely of all passed over 19 and 20 year olds... it'd be the worst draft year ever.

Edited by avelanch

Interesting article but of note, Horvat's expected to have a good couple + of years in the bottom 6 to acclimate (as the article suggests) before he's expected to have any meaningful top 6 impact (which the article warns against).

Also, while he still has things to learn, he's already pretty good defensively against NHL'ers (at least in the preseason). He's earned the right to see if he can still do that when the games count IMO.

The fact that Bo is already a pretty good 2-way player was the positive in the article. I especially liked the Duchene quote about how the offensivity takes care of itself. It dispells the notion that Bo has to go back to Jrs to develop his offensive skills.

Hopefully the injury isn't bad and that he can continue to fight for a spot on the team.

Or just not hold a draft for one year.

Exactly. Just skip one year or rather held back one year. Have a regular draft lottery but just combine the previous 2 years standings to rank teams.

There are so few 18 year olds that make the league it shouldn't justify drafting that them. The prospects would have another year to develop scouts would be more accurately able to project their potential.

could be a sternum/chest injury as well........his upper body got pretty compressed there