The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, higgyfan said:

There has been much criticism of Bo's defensive game for the last few years and rightly so.  The following is an

article indicating his struggles, written 2/14/21

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/02/14/bo-horvats-defence-declined-past-three-seasons-getting-better/

A year later, a similar article is written, indicating that Bo's defensive game has blossomed into being the

shutdown C that we always thought he could be.  In the article, it is stated that his attention to the D game

has had a negative effect on his offensive game, but as we all know, he managed to start scoring at

a rapid rate later in the season.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/02/09/bo-horvat-underperforming-offensively-finally-nailing-shutdown-centre/

Perhaps folks are judging Bo by his past defensive blunders and ought to review the past season.  It's

looking like the Captain not only had a career high in scoring, but also managed to ace the defensive

part of his game as well.

I think overall he was fine defensively last year but IMO he still has too many of those "wrong side of the puck" moments.

Based on how the rest of the forward group is composed, it would be very beneficial for the team if Horvat was more a heavy 50-55 point guy that was great defensively than a 65 point guy that is just okay defensively. I hope he dedicates himself to this and I hope the organization makes it clear to him that this is what they expect.

Pettersson as a PPG / offense-first 1C and Horvat as the two-way 2C would be a great 1-2 punch.

On 8/4/2022 at 5:52 AM, Alflives said:

If Bo is going to help us win a Cup he’s going to have to better develop his defensive game.  He too often gets caught on the wrong side of the puck, and he could absolutely use his size more.  

I’m wondering if we might be trading Bo?  He’d fetch a hefty return.  

Horvat will sign a 7year X 6.8 million dollar contract before season starts.. Sorry Bo will not be traded...

On 8/4/2022 at 10:50 AM, higgyfan said:

There has been much criticism of Bo's defensive game for the last few years and rightly so.  The following is an

article indicating his struggles, written 2/14/21

https://canucksarmy.com/2021/02/14/bo-horvats-defence-declined-past-three-seasons-getting-better/

A year later, a similar article is written, indicating that Bo's defensive game has blossomed into being the

shutdown C that we always thought he could be.  In the article, it is stated that his attention to the D game

has had a negative effect on his offensive game, but as we all know, he managed to start scoring at

a rapid rate later in the season.

https://canucksarmy.com/2022/02/09/bo-horvat-underperforming-offensively-finally-nailing-shutdown-centre/

Perhaps folks are judging Bo by his past defensive blunders and ought to review the past season.  It's

looking like the Captain not only had a career high in scoring, but also managed to ace the defensive

part of his game as well.

He's definitely improved, but looking at more advanced analytics from other people, for example, The Athletic, they have Horvat more at a middle 50-70 percentile defensive player.

Hopefully he can continue to improve and be that reliable 2 way C that we need, especially if we trade JT.

A good point in that article was that Horvat is streaky at times. Building consistency with a stronger forward group is going to be huge for Horvat moving forward, offensively and defensively.

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Latest On J.T. Miller, Bo Horvat

AUGUST 26, 2022 AT 11:40 AM CDT | BY ETHAN HETU 2 COMMENTS

As things currently stand, two of the Vancouver Canucks’ most important players are slated to hit unrestricted free agency. One of them, Bo Horvat, is the Canucks’ captain and heart-and-soul two-way center. The other is J.T. Miller, the Canucks’ leading scorer by a large margin and most accomplished offensive player.

The Athletic’s Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal issued updates on the situations of both players today. (subscription link) For Horvat, the landscape is relatively simple. The team wants to retain its captain, and Horvat by all accounts wants to remain with the only NHL franchise he has ever played for. Drance and Dhaliwal report that there was a “sense of optimism” earlier this summer that an extension between Horvat and the Canucks would be completed relatively quickly, but that hasn’t happened yet. Now, it seems there is “somewhat less optimism than there had been in late June” that a deal will be reached shortly.

It still remains the overwhelming probability that Horvat re-signs in Vancouver, but the lack of any news on positive progress towards a new deal is notable. Horvat, 27, is an accomplished two-way center who scored a career-high 31 goals last season. If Horvat looks at Kevin Hayes’ long-term contract with the Flyers, a deal that costs over $7MM per year, and the twin $8MM AAV deals the San Jose Sharks are paying Logan Couture and Tomas Hertl, he may decide that a deal at or around $7MM AAV is what he wants on his next contract.

With many major contracts already on their books and a looming extension for Elias Pettersson due in two years’ time, it would be understandable if the Canucks are hesitant to go that far for Horvat, a great player but not a franchise centerpiece. That being said, a loss of Horvat would leave a significant hole in the Canucks’ roster, especially if the team is set on playing Pettersson as a winger moving forward.

Much of what happens with Horvat, then, could depend on the fate of Miller. With a 99-point season under his belt, Miller is in an extremely strong negotiating position. He’s been a truly elite talent as a Canuck, and likely wants to be compensated with a contract that reflects the value he’s put forth these past few seasons.

The challenge with Miller for the Canucks, then, is if he’s worth the massive contract he’s earned and, more importantly, if giving him such a lucrative extension that covers his thirties is appropriate for a team whose core base of talent is still in their early-to-mid twenties.

Drance and Dhaliwal report that the Canucks privately “continue to insist that retaining Miller is their preference.” Even so, Miller’s own preferences could throw a wrench in the possibility of him remaining in Vancouver. Miller’s agent, Brian Bartlett, told The Athletic that Miller’s camp will “opt to cut off all discussions on a new contract once the regular season commences.” Such a stance might look familiar to some fans, as it’s the route Johnny Gaudreau took this past season while negotiating with the Calgary Flames.

Gaudreau eventually left the Flames and signed elsewhere, and that could be the position the Canucks are in a year from now if they stay the current course with Miller.

So, that brings up the question that will likely serve as the major storyline for the Canucks’ season, at least until a resolution is found. Do the Canucks settle on trading Miller if an extension isn’t reached by the start of the season? Would the Canucks, who still haven’t gone through a full season with their new front office and coaching staff, keep an unextended Miller past the deadline in the hopes that he’ll boost their competitive chances?

Those are the major questions facing the Canucks so far, and the first domino could fall if an extension for Horvat is finalized before the start of the season. Whichever route the Canucks opt to go down, it’s likely that the 2022-23 season will be one of great consequence for the Canucks’ organization.

The Athletic’s Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal issued updates. Is there more that needs to be said?

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

going to take 7-7.5 to sign this guy.

He's become good defensively, he's now a 30 goal scorer-at least once-.

Takes a huge amount of face offs, and ends up having to use a lot of his ice time just skating to the bench- after mostly winning the draw.

I'd seriously like someone to time just how many minutes of Bo's ice time IS used up  drawing, then going to the bench.

Must be 2-3 minutes a game.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, gurn said:

going to take 7-7.5 to sign this guy.

He's become good defensively, he's now a 30 goal scorer-at least once-.

Takes a huge amount of face offs, and ends up having to use a lot of his ice time just skating to the bench- after mostly winning the draw.

I'd seriously like someone to time just how many minutes of Bo's ice time IS used up  drawing, then going to the bench.

Must be 2-3 minutes a game.

He's adequate defensively, but I'm not sure I'd classify him as good though. No doubt he's a face-off legend at this point. I think your price is a reasonable range, depending on things like term and clauses. I could see a longer deal going for a lower AAV with trade protection--quite possibly less than $7M in that case.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's adequate defensively, but I'm not sure I'd classify him as good though. No doubt he's a face-off legend at this point. I think your price is a reasonable range, depending on things like term and clauses. I could see a longer deal going for a lower AAV with trade protection--quite possibly less than $7M in that case.

I would agree with that statement too. I think his reputation as a two way center is exaggerated a bit. I think Bo was a very good defensive center in junior, but as his NHL career has evolved, he has shown to be much more heavily slanted towards being power scoring center than a two way center. He plays the role, but he doesn't exactly excel in that role, however, Bo has shown to improve some aspect of his game on a yearly basis so perhaps he grows into being better defensively.

I too think a deal is plausible under 7mil if you give him more term and clause protection. I think it all comes down to how much does he actually want. Does he want somewhere between 45-50 mil or is he expecting 52+ mil.

• Upvote 1

On 9/8/2022 at 2:01 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I would agree with that statement too. I think his reputation as a two way center is exaggerated a bit. I think Bo was a very good defensive center in junior, but as his NHL career has evolved, he has shown to be much more heavily slanted towards being power scoring center than a two way center. He plays the role, but he doesn't exactly excel in that role, however, Bo has shown to improve some aspect of his game on a yearly basis so perhaps he grows into being better defensively.

I too think a deal is plausible under 7mil if you give him more term and clause protection. I think it all comes down to how much does he actually want. Does he want somewhere between 45-50 mil or is he expecting 52+ mil.

I think the progression of Kesler and Horvat are quite different; where Kesler really owned defensively and then grew offensively, then added a lethal shot, Horvat has improved skating and focused more on offense, but also getting a bit better defensively each year.

I think Kesler being used as the main shutdown worked well, whereas Horvat would be better suited as a two-way guy who should get you points without costing you defensively.

I still think a great shutdown center would be beneficial to at least split roles with Horvat.

10 hours ago, Devron said:

Asking him the same question over and over again :picard:

I love it when Rutherford and Allvin are interviewed they don't get answers..

Ridiculous how media takes a answer and make fun out of it..Most media guys are ridiculous..

Bo Horvát will be sign before October 15th -- 7 yrs X 6.8 AAV -- Front loaded deal.......

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Glad to hear this. Most of Horvat's close comparables have signed in the 5 million range. (RNH, Strome, Trochek)

Expecting this to end up in the mid 6 million range, which is okay with the cap increase in 2 years.

Yeah I'd be pretty stunned if his number started with a 5. Even with a full NMC for all 8 years, $5.9M would be a steal.